VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For my next build i cant decide what hardware i should take.. Iam also trying avoid windows xp installation because its not secure it seems.And also dont like run it on a virtual machine. Iam also making concern if i better using windows 2000 instead or better go with vista.. Iam not thinking that bad about windows vista, i think that windows 8 is more worser on the planet. And vista is much more secure then windows xp ever will be.. I am not make concern about future security updates on vista.. Iam also want to use 2x voodoo SLI for this build if it can. Iam beware that vista should at least 4GB available needed for running it smooth. Iam also beware it can give me some problems on the voodoo 2 installation.. Originally i had planned to dual boot this system, because it also need to run games faster then the 550Mhz system build is.

Iam not beware of the fact how secure windows 2000 is? And how much memory i need for windows 2000. I also dont know if iam using windows 2000 if i can skip the dual boot option with windows 98 se..

Before i can make some decisions for my self, i really like to know what where the lastest originally supported games on the voodoo 2 SLI setup?

The good thing is, i have a legal retail copy of vista home premium laying here.. For a windows 2000 copy i need to look for one.

The OS need to support Directx 9.0C because i want to use an Nvidia Geforce 6 6800GT AGP graphics card.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 14, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Iam not beware of the fact how secure windows 2000 is?

Its getting so old that viruses and exploits don't bother "supporting" it anymore
But there are still some old viruses

And how much memory i need for windows 2000

Very little compared to say Vista. It runs acceptably with 64MB of RAM and smoothly with 128MB of RAM

I also dont know if iam using windows 2000 if i can skip the dual boot option with windows 98 se

There are still some old programs/drivers that don't well on NT.
And I am not sure if VooDoo SLI works on 2000 so I would definitely say dual boot 98

Reply 2 of 14, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are w2k drivers for voodoo 2. But for vista it would more difficult.. Not that iam going to use the voodoo2 cards on vista, but i dont think you cant leave the cards like doing nothing without installed it on the operating system.
There are also much easier drivers to get as example for the terratec DMX 1024 soundcard.. If iam going to use vista, then my only option for the soundcard is a Creative audigy 2 ZS soundcard.

And on W2K i dont have to use Rloewe memory patch to patch the memory size in windows 98se to 4GB. So i think win2000 gives me more options here.

Reply 3 of 14, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The "patch" is the 1 string in Win9x system.ini, [386Enh]/MaxPhysPage=1FFFF. As the result - you have 512 MB only in Win9x and all crashes are gone.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 14, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't suggest Vista with a 550MHz CPU even if you have 4GB of RAM. Also having said that, the one system I have that runs Vista has had 2GB of memory since the day it was new, and I've never had issues with that; 7x64 can get a bit "grabby" with RAM at times, but 2GB is still workable (4GB+ is better if you heavily multitask).

As far as 2k - I had no problems with 384MB of memory - it will sit on the desktop using about a quarter of that at worst. There are Voodoo2 drivers for 2k, but the official 3dfx ones do not support DirectX and I don't know if they do or do not support SLI. OFC there are third-party drivers that let you do all sorts of things. DX9 will install on 2k without problems, and the GF6800 should have no problems there either. Although I wouldn't personally pair a GF6800 with a 550MHz CPU - get something faster (P4-era is really more appropriate).

If you're going to build a machine with a 6800 and fast (relatively) processor, why not go with XP? There isn't any glaring security problem unless you're going to leave it fully unpatched and hook it up to the open Internet and start browsing around in IE6.0 and clicking anything you see - if it's just sitting there off the Internet it won't have any issues.

As far as Vista vs 2k/XP/etc - it isn't a bad operating system once you patch it up (service packs and all), but you should reasonably expect some issues with games that really want 9x (some of which can be coaxed into working on XP) - workarounds will likely exist for more popular titles. You will give up DS3D/HW and EAX on the Audigy with Vista - ALchemy exists for EAX emulation but I've never had good luck with it (my standard qualifier: I own 2 or 3 games that even use EAX). If that's a concern you should stick to 2k or XP. OTOH fully patched up it's fine to be online (as long as you have appropriate anti-virus/anti-spyware/etc ofc) just like 7/8/etc although some websites may run chuggy depending on the hardware you have behind it (e.g. GF6800 does no h.264/Flash/etc accel so that's all going to sit on your CPU).

Reply 5 of 14, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smeezekitty wrote:

Iam not beware of the fact how secure windows 2000 is?

Its getting so old that viruses and exploits don't bother "supporting" it anymore
But there are still some old viruses

just an illustration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWkRTKqc2rw

an older ex kit
https://scm.symantec.com/resources/b-symantec … 71_wp.en-us.pdf

Comparatively, out of 2,210 Windows 2000 systems attacked (sixth line), 158 were successfully compromised by the MS04-11 exploit.

(oh, and check the numbers for win98 while you're there)

If you kept to the "Win3.11 is so obsolete that it's safe" argument I'd agree with you. But 95/98/Me/NT/2000/2003/XP and so on are easily still "supported" by the many exploit kits still in circulation (didn't we have this discussion already?). And statistics won't help if you happen to be one of two people out of the few hundreds remaining users to just have a 'bad day'.

Whether it's win2k or XP, if you're going to use it online, then make it safe by practicing standard sec practices. Don't just rely on obsolescence. Disable IE, disable activeX. Install decent AV (esp. since as a retro-tinkerer you'll still be dealing with old files that often came from who knows where) and firewall, make sure unused ports are closed. Watch running services, close/disable unnecessary ones. Run as normal user (not as admin all the time), and with passwords of course (duh) otherwise why bother (unlike grandma/grandpas with their computers, you don't really have an excuse).

Then you don't need to worry whether you're using 2k/XP/Vista etc.

As for win2k only without 98, that wouldn't give you much advantage for compatibility with win95/98-games over the newer NT-based windows (XP, Vista/7/8), would it. Meaning you'll likely still have to deal with patches and workarounds for games that don't natively support 2k.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 6 of 14, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SLI should work in Windows 2000. I believe back in the olden days I used to run a Geforce2 GTS paired with an Obsidian2 SLI card.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 14, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anybody know which where the latest GLIDE games? And what system requirements does these games need?

Iam not going to run Vista on my Pentium III 550mhz machine.. Its just for a newer build iam busy with.
Iam not going use the internet as my main computer (i have a much newer here i can browse 24/7 if i want.)

But on the 2000 period, games didnt required an internet connection to play games offline..
But iam aware of the fact, that how newer the build is, how more importanter you need to have a internet connection. thats not for playing online, but installing new software to the system, or want to share games from system or gog.com to this system. But i want to see, if its possible to use the 3dFX cards on later build, iam only want to use them for the games that could originally are designed for.. Iam not that type of guy that trying running doom 3 on a voodoo 2 SLI setup.

Reply 8 of 14, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Newest glide games off the top of my head:

Hitman (and I think Hitman 2) and ORB (came out in 2002 or 2003) has a "3dfx mode" that may or may not be glide (its poorly explained in the documentation). Can't think of anything newer than that off-handedly.

Reply 9 of 14, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Uprising II is one of the later glide games I can think of other then unreal\ut.
Uprising 2 still one of the games that Nglide has trouble with.
It and its predecessor is why I need 3dfx cards still 🤣 .

Reply 10 of 14, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can query mobygames by the attribute "Glide" and sort by year
http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attr … et,0/p,3/so,1d/

Though apart from re-releases and some questionable titles (would you even play Far Cry on Glide?), more realistic cutoff would be 2000-2001 with games like NFS Porsche and Undying.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 11 of 14, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Divine Divinity and Earth 2150: Lost Souls. Cd creation dates are Aug 2002.
There is Total Club Manager 2003 with Oct 2002 as the cd creation date. But the glide support is broken in this game (it freezes on my Voodoo2 in Xp).
More 2002 games are: 2002 FIFA World Cup: Korea Japan, Heli-Heroes, Operation Flashpoint: Resistance, Simon the Sorcerer 3-d.
And don't use Mobygames as the source for glide games. Its list quality is *censored*.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 12 of 14, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^Not to get into too much details, but hence I said "questionable". However, some of the titles you mentioned are included in the mobygames list already.

And OP asked for period-specific requirements too, which MG database can at least give a general idea of (though I wish they'd include recommended specs by default). NGlide list, while more accurate, doesn't have date & req specs info unfortunately. Also later games that support glide may have more graphic features/options in D3D than in Glide (incl Earth 2150 iirc).

re: Simon the Sorcerer 3D -- maybe this is the reason why it isn't included?
http://www.syntax2000.co.uk/issues/78/simon3d.rev.txt

* Does the game support Direct 3D or 3dfx (Glide) ? There have been a number of compatibility issues with Glide based cards whic […]
Show full quote

* Does the game support Direct 3D or 3dfx (Glide) ?
There have been a number of compatibility issues with Glide based
cards which means that officially, Simon 3D does NOT support Glide
- but it will still run in Glide mode. Your best option is to run
it in Direct3D.

As for specs, up to 2001/2002 games or so, generally, P3/Celeron/Athlon/Duron 1GHz+ with GeForce3/4Ti/FX or Radeon 8500/9xxx/9700 + a 3dfx card would do just fine.

Reply 13 of 14, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
archsan wrote:

You can query mobygames by the attribute "Glide" and sort by year
http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attr … et,0/p,3/so,1d/

Though apart from re-releases and some questionable titles (would you even play Far Cry on Glide?), more realistic cutoff would be 2000-2001 with games like NFS Porsche and Undying.

This database gives me a really good of view. So it would like 2000-2002 when its was almost the last days of glide..

Thanks for this.

Thanks all i know enough for now!

Reply 14 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gamecollector wrote:
Divine Divinity and Earth 2150: Lost Souls. Cd creation dates are Aug 2002. There is Total Club Manager 2003 with Oct 2002 as th […]
Show full quote

Divine Divinity and Earth 2150: Lost Souls. Cd creation dates are Aug 2002.
There is Total Club Manager 2003 with Oct 2002 as the cd creation date. But the glide support is broken in this game (it freezes on my Voodoo2 in Xp).
More 2002 games are: 2002 FIFA World Cup: Korea Japan, Heli-Heroes, Operation Flashpoint: Resistance, Simon the Sorcerer 3-d.
And don't use Mobygames as the source for glide games. Its list quality is *censored*.

Gamecollector, maybe Zeus and yourself should add release dates or years to your lists, and offer a sorted-by-date list 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto