VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have obtained an Matrox Power VR PCX2 today, and am wondering what should i pair it with?
I have Tseng Labs ET6000 and Matrox Mystique 220.

Since this is from 1997, Pentium II and III are best suited for these?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I paired it in my Athlon 650 MHz with a Voodoo3 3500(the one w/o TV). But it also worked well with VIA Unichrome integrated graphics.
It does not work well with the DirectX hooking of the NVidia drivers.

I think the board/chipset is more important to have a high transfer rate on PCI bursts.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 9, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Will it go well with Hercules Stingray 128 (Voodoo Rush, with almost the same performance as Voodoo 1)?
For now i only have one PC operation to use it in, its the one from my signature, dual 430NX chipset.

Reply 3 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here everyone is going to come with their suggestions and they will all be different.

I've personally tested alot of cards with the PowerVR PCX1 and PCX2. There are not that much differences in terms of performance. What you have to be aware of is:

- If you pair it with a geforce card of any type you will only be able to play SGL games on your PowerVR card
- Early SGL games + early AGP implementations on Super Socket 7 boards can cause trouble.
- Early PCI cards (1995 and earlier) generally also can cause trouble or bad performance.

Other than that, I suggest you use a card which produce a good output quality. The Matrox is good for that purpose.

In Tomb Raider, Gona benched the Rendition V2200 to be the fastest card. See attached file.

Your 133mhz will be too slow to play any SGL games in good framerate.

Attachments

• Filename
    TR_PCX2.xls
    File size
    11 KiB
    Downloads
    122 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 9, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine is paired with a Mystique 220, and once I work out some other kinks I'm going to add a VooDoo 2. The CPU is a Pentium II 450.

Seems to work well so far, though I haven't ruled it out as the cause of some instability and game crashes.

Reply 5 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I paired with a Voodoo3, works fine.

also as aforementioned the nvidia geforce is a bad choice to use with PowerVR PCX2 because nvidia's drivers are so aggressive they really want to make sure you do it 'the way it's meant to be played(r)'

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 9, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see, so it works with pretty much anything. Cool.
Actually the Mystique i have is not the 220 version. Its the original version with 4MB RAM.

Reply 7 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Either way the mentioned pre-G200 Matrox cards suck for 3D, they're only good for their 2D and VGA signal and the PowerVR (Matrox M3D included) trumps them, but you do get the advantage of a sharp picture since it passes to host 😀

but then again, you could pair the PCX2 with a later Radeon or any card with DVI that's not a Geforce...

i've noticed it's much slower when paired with onboard video chipsets - at least for SiS anyway, and yes this can even be paired with laptops through PCI docking stations though the bus transfer performance will be very slow.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't mind using the PowerVR PCX1 and PCX2 with the Geforce. My main reason to have a PowerVR card installed is to play the PowerSGL games. So I don't mind that the Direct3D capabilites of the PowerVR card does not work with a Geforce card. I have the Geforce and/or a Voodoo card for Direct3D.

Depending on your requirements, using a Geforce to pair with may not be any issue at all.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It does have a use if there's Direct3D games with speed issues that require a naturally slow ~25fps framerate cap (which vsyncing to 60hz can't satisfy), like I76 Gold and Wipeout XL/2097.

apsosig.png
long live PCem