VOGONS

First post, by ruairi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I recently bought a P75 from eBay which internally looked to be in excellent condition however I'm having a bit of trouble running a few bits of software and I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

It's an Intel Pentium 75, Socket 5, 16Mb of RAM, Ali VGA graphics card and a Sound Blaster AWE32 sound card.

When running Duke Nukem 3D it crashes randomly back to DOS, or locks up completely. At one point it seemed to teleport me out of the map (showing a sort of Hall Of Mirrors effect) then crash shortly afterwards.

Running the demoscene demo "Unreal" by Future Crew seems to have intermittent tearing noises during audio playback.

Some software seems to have distortion when playing back sampled music also.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Also - can anyone suggest any software that I can copy to the hard drive (I don't have any floppies or CD-R media) to perform a memory test?

Thanks,

Ruairi

Reply 1 of 4, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Assign the IRQ's manually in the bios if it will let you.
Try loosening the memory timings again if it will let you.
Its also possible its the Ali IGP causing it, try a different PCI VGA card
Memtest86+ has a floppy image, it has problems with some floppy drives, and will endlessly try to boot, but works on most.
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

I just realized how are you gonna get the floppy iso or raw exe to your machine, if you have no CD-R\Floppies?
Does the machine have a nic of some type?? I suggest tracking some Floppy disks down from a local thrift store!

Reply 3 of 4, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It could be hardware or software. What operating system are you using? If you have Windows, run the DOG games from MS-DOS mode.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 4, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a problem with a socket 7 pc having similiar issues. Playing games for a while would make the game lock up or crash. The IDE cables in the computer were dirty (the computer was sitting in some shed and was given to me) and looked really cheap. I replaced the cables and the problem went away. Reapplying thermal on the CPU won't hurt either. When I checked mine it was almost non-existant and the heatsink was extremely hot to touch.