VOGONS

Best / latest AGP motherboard?

Topic actions

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I already have a few, not really looking for another right now... just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this topic.

Seems like high-end motherboards went to PCIe fairly quickly, so later AGP motherboards would probably be oddball or low-end models. That or AGP + PCIe combos like my ASRock (sort of falls into the oddball category, haha).

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 43, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

775 and 939, pretty much early Dual core. Dont remember the model but I had a matx ASUS board with DDR and agp in socket 775. Supported up to a 3.0ghz Core2duo. It ended up tossed with catastrophic failure caused by a plugged up cpu fan. (not from my own rig btw)

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 43, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Asrock always did a hybrid board, mixing new with old. Might be worth checking out.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 43, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an Asrock board with ddr1, agp and s775. Very reliable and stable board. Max fsb is 1066mhz so with a nice 800mhz fsb core2duo it clocks fairly high. I use it for my HTPC that i occasionaly use for an old lan game with my son. It has an E5200@3,6ghz and a 3850 agp.

Years ago Asrock was a cheap solution and they still have that name, but they really make nice and stable boards with great features. I am a big fan of Asus but my current i7 board is an Asrock and it works perfectly.
Asrock isn`t really cheap anymore, it just gives you a little extra for the same price.

Another good agp board i have is an Asus A8V. It has a 939 socket and supports also ddr1 and in my case houses a dualcore athlon64 x2. I don`t use it right now but since they aren`t worth a lot i keep it as it is a nice platform. I loved the era of s939: fast, reliable, 64bit and dualcore.

When used with highend agp cards these systems are still very usable today. Works fine with windows 7 also. I started collecting ddr1 memory a while ago as it is getting harder to find.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4 of 43, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aside from dual-core supporting 939/775 like has been said, you could move into dual-socket systems designed for workstations/servers - both Socket 604 and Socket 940 exist in dual-socket configurations and with AGP or AGP Pro from a variety of manufacturers. Both have dual-core offerings that can be run 2x2 and they usually can support silly amounts of memory as well.

Personally though, I'd not bother with such an esoteric configuration - graphics cards went PCIe on the high-end pretty quickly as well, and there's no multi-card with AGP either. If I was going with a GeForce 7+ (or Radeon X1k+) I'd rather have PCIe.

Reply 6 of 43, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check out the Asus P4P800-SE. Excellent stable socket 478 board which supports up to a Pentium 4 3.4Ghz. Also has AGP 8X, Intel 865PE chipset and Dual Channel DDR400 support.

Reply 7 of 43, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borgie83 wrote:

Check out the Asus P4P800-SE. Excellent stable socket 478 board which supports up to a Pentium 4 3.4Ghz. Also has AGP 8X, Intel 865PE chipset and Dual Channel DDR400 support.

And "weak" capacitors, unfortunatedly. So, after this board will die - replace caps then try again.
Another standard glitch is - DDR1 sockets "corrosion". Can be cleared with a screwdriver.
My P4P800 SE works in the 24/7 mode more than 9 years... With 2 "dead" periods.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 8 of 43, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Epox 9nda3, I have this board in storage atm, Its seen service for a few years.
Its AGP, socket 939. You don't have to go intel.
Nforce 3 has 9x drivers.
Heres a review of it.
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainboard/927-e … -nforce3-ultra/

Reply 10 of 43, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep it is Asrock 775I65G. Very solid. I recommend the 200 MHz (800 MT/s) CPUs with it because 865G has poor support for 1066 MT/s and there are compromises. Been there. I have a Pentium E5700 in it and that is excellent. Core 2 era CPUs are so cheap these days.

There are a few revisions of this board. 3.0 supports the most CPUs.

Reply 11 of 43, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem with 1066 MT/s CPUs on those boards is the DDR memory. ASRock specifically says you have to run DDR800 CL2.5 DIMMs in order for them to work. I'm still amazed they got that ol' 865 running Wolfdale core CPUs!

Reply 12 of 43, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NJRoadfan wrote:

The problem with 1066 MT/s CPUs on those boards is the DDR memory. ASRock specifically says you have to run DDR800 CL2.5 DIMMs in order for them to work. I'm still amazed they got that ol' 865 running Wolfdale core CPUs!

Actually now that I think about it more, I think it's more unfortunate than that. The chipset doesn't have a divider to provide exactly 200 MHz RAM at 1066 MT/s FSB. The RAM actually clocks at about 190 MHz. With a 800 MT/s CPU, RAM does run 200 MHz. That's a nice 1:1 match up with the dual channel PC3200.

I can't remember if there's the possibility of running a faster divider and using rare PC4000 RAM...

Reply 13 of 43, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gamecollector wrote:

Another standard glitch is - DDR1 sockets "corrosion". Can be cleared with a screwdriver.

Whats this!? I have a P4P800 SE in waiting for my "Super 9x" PC project. What do I need to look out for?

Reply 14 of 43, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't sound safe removing corrosion in a DDR socket with a screwdriver!
Try dumping 92% alcohol on the socket and using a swab first, before desperate measures!

Reply 15 of 43, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

Whats this!? I have a P4P800 SE in waiting for my "Super 9x" PC project. What do I need to look out for?

Symptoms are - you use P4P800 SE after the long storage. And several DDR slots not work (fans are working, black screen, then "memory error" speaker beeps). Just remove DIMMs and clear slot contacts with something metal (flat screwdriwer, as the example).
Currently I have 3 P4P800 SE motherboards (1 is in my nGlide test PC, 2 are in storage) and all 3 were affected by this problem.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 16 of 43, by Holering

User metadata

The 775dual-vsta asrock is the best desktop mobo. There's a quad core version and I believe after bios flash wolfdale CPUs work fine (these are best for lower volts and more cache). It has agp and pcie but it's primarily agp (pcie slot is like agp with half bandwidth). I used to have one and it also has native 98/me drivers, but it works best with ME (acpi is stubborn). I'm pretty sure I ran a SB live! in pure DOS no problem on it too. Was using a celeron D Prescott CPU and it was very nice even though it wasn't a core2 duo. I remember having to use conductive paint to overclock the celeronD (had to make traces on cpu). The fsb is kinda slow so you need a CPU with high multiplier (no biggie). The max ram officially supported is 2gb, but with a bios flash it can use 4gb (chipset has 32-bit address space limitation). I think it supports DDR1 ram too. You can't use DDR1 and 2 at same time, or pcie and agp at same time.

Reply 17 of 43, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:
And "weak" capacitors, unfortunatedly. So, after this board will die - replace caps then try again. Another standard glitch is - […]
Show full quote
borgie83 wrote:

And "weak" capacitors, unfortunatedly. So, after this board will die - replace caps then try again.
My P4P800 SE works in the 24/7 mode more than 9 years... With 2 "dead" periods.

If you're concerned about the corrosion you could just buy some die-electric grease and spread that in the ddr socket. The grease does not conduct so it will not hurt anything. It's normally meant for pig tail connectors on automobiles where corrosion can not seep in and if it's applied it does an amazing job. Also, when extreme overclocking was kind of cool a few years ago a lot of people used the dielectric grease or in a pinch you could use vaseline.

Personally, I applied this stuff to sockets on computer I keep in long term storage and never had any problems.

If you need to clean the socket you could use electrical contact cleaner. Make sure everything is powered off and PSU disconnected and spritz it in thereand insert/remove the module a few times. Make sure it's evaporated before you power it up again. Shouldn't hurt anything, but it warns you specifically about it on the label. I've personally never ran into an issue.

Reply 18 of 43, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
NJRoadfan wrote:

Actually now that I think about it more, I think it's more unfortunate than that. The chipset doesn't have a divider to provide exactly 200 MHz RAM at 1066 MT/s FSB. The RAM actually clocks at about 190 MHz. With a 800 MT/s CPU, RAM does run 200 MHz. That's a nice 1:1 match up with the dual channel PC3200.

I can't remember if there's the possibility of running a faster divider and using rare PC4000 RAM...

its because the board can't handle 1:1 ram stably at over 800fsb, so they had to force a divider.
early high end 865/875 boards like p4p800 and p4c800 had no difficulty doing this.
still, asrock's pt880 is the best agp board for lga775 cpus running at 1066fsb.

Reply 19 of 43, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Holering wrote:

The 775dual-vsta asrock is the best desktop mobo. There's a quad core version and I believe after bios flash wolfdale CPUs work fine (these are best for lower volts and more cache). It has agp and pcie but it's primarily agp (pcie slot is like agp with half bandwidth). I used to have one and it also has native 98/me drivers, but it works best with ME (acpi is stubborn). I'm pretty sure I ran a SB live! in pure DOS no problem on it too. Was using a celeron D Prescott CPU and it was very nice even though it wasn't a core2 duo. I remember having to use conductive paint to overclock the celeronD (had to make traces on cpu). The fsb is kinda slow so you need a CPU with high multiplier (no biggie). The max ram officially supported is 2gb, but with a bios flash it can use 4gb (chipset has 32-bit address space limitation). I think it supports DDR1 ram too. You can't use DDR1 and 2 at same time, or pcie and agp at same time.

i agree that asrock pt880 is the best agp board for lga775 cpus at 1066fsb(especially core2s), but it has its drawback: poor power supply. you can't add vcore in bios and what next, vcore drops insanely at full load, by almost 0.10v, which severely hurts overclocking stability.
running quad core on it is no good because it draws even more power to make things worse. i didn't bother even giving a try, but my friend reported that q9650x was unstable even at 1066fsb, whenever he ran any stressing test. well, maybe the q6600 can be stable, as its rated at lower clock and has a higher rated vcore to tolerate the vdroop.