VOGONS

First post, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just purchased a Voodoo3 3000 AGP for a very low price (well, almost nothing 🤣) but its heat sink become separated.

- Can anyone direct me towards a known, nice replacement cooling solution?

- As a secondary alternative, what kind of glue may I use to reconnect the separated heat sing on top of the GPU again?

Thanks in advance.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 1 of 24, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logisys-DeepCool-CC2- … =item35cdf67881

This looks adjustable like the old Zalman passive NB coolers and fit Voodoo cards as a consequence.
Haven't tried this copy tho myself, but it looks like it should work, risk it or not 🤣 . With the fan off its gonna take up an extra PCI slot or 2.

You still have the Voodoo 3 heatsink? is it the silver wide type? or pin type? You can just get some Plastic clip\prong springs if its the silver type, assuming you lost the gold ones that it came with if it had that type of heatsink.

Otherwise just find an OEM Socket 5\7 passive heat-sink, the Pin type that come with many of OEM machines and make great passive Coolers for older Vcards or low profile one with a fan can also work. If you want even more cooling, and glue that to it with your choice brand of thermal epoxy.

Reply 4 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cheap as chips Cooler mod for Voodoo 3 cards!

Video guide:

3dfx Voodoo 3 Cooler

Why?

Voodoo 3 cards are known to run very hot and come with a passive cooler only

Benefits?

- Cheap
- Card remains intact / resell value

What do I need?

- 80mm fan
- 1 thin cable tie
- 2 rubber bands

For those who don't like watching videos:

- Place fan on top of card
- Put the cable tie through the bottom right hole on the fan and cooler.
- Tighten cable tie and clip off remaining part
- Secure the left side of the fan with two rubber bands

Uw4R7vzl.png

yMtesZBl.png

E5bofgfl.png

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 24, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen your video Phil, but I think you went with a fan that is just too big. I am trying to see what is the right fan size for Voodoo3 3000. It gotta be 40mm. Now just need to find a decent one that will last.

Reply 6 of 24, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just ordered this thing here, I hope it will keep my Voodoo 3 3000 cool enough:

71HfEgnZygL._SL1292_.jpg
Filename
71HfEgnZygL._SL1292_.jpg
File size
207.38 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It sucks the air in and blows it out at the back of the PC, so theoretically you can cool every GPU with that one without meddling with heatsinks, rubber bands and fans. I'll let you know if it works!

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 7 of 24, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is my modefication.....
As the original heatsink has 4 holes, and only 2 are used to mount it to the pcb, there are 2 holes left for zip-ties. You only need to find ones that are thin enough, in order to have them go through the holes and underneath the heatsink.

Attachments

• XP-03.jpg
    Filename
    XP-03.jpg
    File size
    84.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8 of 24, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

I've seen your video Phil, but I think you went with a fan that is just too big. I am trying to see what is the right fan size for Voodoo3 3000. It gotta be 40mm. Now just need to find a decent one that will last.

The thing is, that the Compaq V3 is the 3500 model, disguised as a 3000 model.
Phil's card are a Compaq V3-3500 (as so is mine), and they run even more hot than a 3000.
The problem is, that they have used the same heatsink as a standard 3000.

Phil's solution might make the card last longer, as such a big fan makes the card really cool.
The advantage of my solution, is that the fan takes lesser space. (More room for air circulation in the case)
I have tried both solutions, and mine makes the card slightly warm. Not hot at all.

Reply 9 of 24, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!
I usually don't invade other people's posts, but can anyone run pc-check 6.21 with voodoo3, and check video card at 1024x768 and see if everything goes ok? Mine stresses out at this resolution, but games work fine. And at that resolution win 98 in my pentium2 machine, run great!. Just PC-check doesn't run that card at those resolution.
Thanks!

------edit-------

My friend with a Voodoo3 also did the tests, exactly the same behaviour as mine. I guess, it's just normal. My card is fine. Thanks anyway.

Reply 10 of 24, by Balint83

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brostenen wrote on 2016-09-13, 10:27:

As the original heatsink has 4 holes, and only 2 are used to mount it to the pcb, there are 2 holes left for zip-ties. You only need to find ones that are thin enough, in order to have them go through the holes and underneath the heatsink.

What wide has those zip ties? I can't the 2.5 mm wide one pull through the small hole. Thanks!
What is the fan size? 4 or 5 cm?

Reply 11 of 24, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Balint83 wrote on 2021-04-16, 17:01:

What wide has those zip ties? I can't the 2.5 mm wide one pull through the small hole. Thanks!

Too long ago. I can not remember it anymore. Sorry.

Reply 12 of 24, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Balint83 wrote on 2021-04-16, 17:01:

Welcome to the forum!
I just tried and got a 1.5mm wide, 0.5mm thick zip tie through both empty holes on the heatsink of a regular V3 300 AGP with a bit of fiddling on the upper hole (there's a capacitor underneath).
Looking at the picture the fan is most likely 50mm which aligns well enough with the holes. 👍

Reply 13 of 24, by Balint83

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, thank you!
I've searched on ebay and I found this 1.5mm-wide type of zip tie, I think I will order it. Here in Hungary I couldn't find this type. I have also a regular V3 3000.
I tried with a 2.5mm tie, didn't go though. I cutted both sides with a knife in a part, this part went well into the hole.
I have a SilentiumPC 50 mm fan, I'm agreed with your opinion, that will be the ideal size.

I've bought a Voodoo Banshee Monster Fusion, it has a home made cooler modification (green chipset heat sink + another round-type VGA fan, I think the original was KO). I decided to replace it with this item:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40mm-Aluminum-2pin-C … an/121078076992

The 55 mm distance between the holes will be good? I haven't got the card yet (maybe tomorrow).

Doornkaat wrote on 2021-04-16, 17:45:

Welcome to the forum!
I just tried and got a 1.5mm wide, 0.5mm thick zip tie through both empty holes on the heatsink of a regular V3 300 AGP with a bit of fiddling on the upper hole (there's a capacitor underneath).
Looking at the picture the fan is most likely 50mm which aligns well enough with the holes. 👍

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-04-19, 04:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 24, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're welcome! 😀
I think even though the Diamond Banshee has its cooler glued on there are mounting holes for a cooler on the pcb but they're exactly diagonally across. The heatsink you linked probably won't fit those holes. 🙁 I don't know how far they're apart, sorry.

Reply 15 of 24, by Balint83

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't how is removed from the chip, we'll se tomorrow. Yeah you are right, the screws are at different places. I will check it and buy another type of heatsink.

Worth it to buy for V3 3000's memory cells self-adhesive heatsinks? They are cheap.

Doornkaat wrote on 2021-04-16, 18:21:

You're welcome! 😀
I think even though the Diamond Banshee has its cooler glued on there are mounting holes for a cooler on the pcb but they're exactly diagonally across. The heatsink you linked probably won't fit those holes. 🙁 I don't know how far they're apart, sorry.

Reply 17 of 24, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Balint83 wrote on 2021-04-16, 21:31:

I don't how is removed from the chip, we'll se tomorrow. Yeah you are right, the screws are at different places. I will check it and buy another type of heatsink.

Worth it to buy for V3 3000's memory cells self-adhesive heatsinks? They are cheap.

The memory chips don't usually need heatsinks, especially if you have a fan on the card.
But if you just like modding the card it won't hurt either. Just make sure to glue them on well so they don't fall off with time. 😉

Reply 18 of 24, by Balint83

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the answer, I will skip the memory heatsinks. Fan is mounted on the card since yesterday.

BLockOUT: I don't know who and how removed the heat sink, we'll see Monday when the Banshee arrives.

Doornkaat wrote on 2021-04-17, 08:56:
Balint83 wrote on 2021-04-16, 21:31:

The memory chips don't usually need heatsinks, especially if you have a fan on the card.
But if you just like modding the card it won't hurt either. Just make sure to glue them on well so they don't fall off with time. 😉

Reply 19 of 24, by Harvester757

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A cheap DeepCool V40, and 2-pin to 3-pin adapter from AliExpress:

GkUx99E.jpg

The cooler has 55 mm between mounting clips. And Voodoo pcb has mounting holes with little less than 57 mm between them.
A needle file and a couple minutes of work fix the issue:

oUsHVIf.jpg

Of course, a full solution includes a fan speed controller to bring the noice down.
Basically, I think any cheap cooler with 55 mm mounting may work. But it should have a circular form, not square.