VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SouthMissDJ wrote:

I recently found this motherboard in a system being thrown away. I took this photo to document all of the jumpers before giving the board a bath. The settings pictured are for the Intel 486DX2-66. I have since upgraded CPUs to the AMD 5X86-133, an undocumented processor for this board. The closest settings get it to either 120 or 150 mhz. Good luck with yours!

what jumper setting did you use to set it at 120mhz or 150mhz
(im talking about an AMDX5 133mhz cpu)

because that is not tocumented anywhere.

Reply 22 of 27, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

RN=resistor network

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 24 of 27, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have the board but figured it would be one of those SIPP styled resistor networks.

Although, most of the photos I see over Google show them as being left empty, except this one which appears to have what I think is a dummy resistor network (000J means 0 ohm, I guess?) so probably those sockets are unused altogether.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 25 of 27, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes FIC used 0 ohm arrays instead of jumpers on many 486 boards, somewhere here is a post about them showing 0 ohms and their layout.
Basically there are 5 loops of wire inside pins 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8,9-10.....
like in this topic: Thoughts on how to go about fixing this?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 26 of 27, by lukas12p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-08-09, 22:45:

Yes FIC used 0 ohm arrays instead of jumpers on many 486 boards, somewhere here is a post about them showing 0 ohms and their layout.
Basically there are 5 loops of wire inside pins 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8,9-10.....
like in this topic: Thoughts on how to go about fixing this?

Thanks, That would be easy to make.

Reply 27 of 27, by dermito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DeafPK wrote on 2018-02-09, 13:03:
I am currently working on one of these mobos - it goes through its POST, it can auto detect a 500 meg HDD over a Goldstar ISA I/ […]
Show full quote

I am currently working on one of these mobos - it goes through its POST, it can auto detect a 500 meg HDD over a Goldstar ISA I/O controller, but it won't boot. Not from anything. The floppy does not search for disks after POST but it reacts during the POST. CMOS battery has been replaced with CR2032 mod and it works.

What happens is POST does its things, seemingly successful, then the screen clears and there is just a single flashing underscore in the top of the screen, like _
I gave it 15 minutes once, no gain. The stuff connected to the system are parts known to be OK. I have to say that the mobo was pulled from a dumpster and I've cleaned it with isopropanol alcohol and had it drying for months. Who knows really what is has been through.. I just don't feel like giving it up when I'm getting so close.

BTW if anyone still wonders, J7 gives a message before POST that BIOS passwords are disabled.

I know it's been a while but just to add some clues for future readers: I had the *exact* same setup and symptoms, and eventually found the ISA FDD/HDD controller to be the culprit. Exchanging it for a Winbond ISA controller card solved the issue on the spot.