VOGONS

Full screen scaling issue

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Quz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After I visited two major tech support forums and got no real answer, I came across this forum and I hope you guys can help me out.

The problem I am having is with the graphics chip of my (hopefully soon to be) retro gaming laptop, NEC Versa 6200MX. When I play games, the screen doesn't scale and there are black borders all around the screen. Anything smaller than the 1024x768 simply does not fill the screen. There are no BIOS options either to enable full screen scaling nor there are any in the driver options. Then again, I am not sure if I have the correct driver for this laptop.

Here is an image that explains the problem a bit better than my poor english:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/videog … OilBlueDemo.jpg

Now imagine 320x200 on a 1024x768 screen.

EDIT: I found a way to fix this!!

Quz wrote:

Just In case anyone might have a problem like this in the future, I've solved this problem by using a program called VEXP http://www.dil.u-net.com/vexp.htm

This program activates full screen scaling on Chips & Technologies 65550 and 65554 GPUs. I installed it by placing the VEXP.com inside windows folder and adding VEXP M2 to autoexec.bat and I can confirm, every dos game is now a proper full-screen on my NEC Versa 6200MX! There are still minor black borders on 320x200 resolutions.

Specs
CPU: Pentium MMX 166 Mhz
GPU: Chips 65550 2MB
RAM: 32 Mb
HDD: 2GB
Has CD-ROM drive, no floppy.

Last edited by Quz on 2014-09-29, 21:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by Quz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

Sometimes there is a key combination to enable scaling. Usually Fn+something else

That said, the LCD scalers at the time even if it has one were really bad. Usually no interpolation and just doubling up every x pixels in order to scale it.

I've read the manual for my model and there doesn't seem to be any such function. Are there any software based solutions for this? something that stretches full screen applications?

Reply 4 of 9, by Quz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just In case anyone might have a problem like this in the future, I've solved this problem by using a program called VEXP http://www.dil.u-net.com/vexp.htm

This program activates screen scaling on Chips & Technologies 65550 and 65554 GPUs. I installed it by placing the VEXP.com inside windows folder and adding VEXP M2 to autoexec.bat and I can confirm, every dos game is now a proper full-screen on my NEC Versa 6200MX! There are still minor black borders on 320x200 resolutions.

Reply 8 of 9, by seanneko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
skitters wrote:
seanneko wrote:

The link isn't working anymore. Could someone please upload VEXP somewhere else? 😀

Seems to download OK from the web archive of the page here.

Thanks! I got it and it's working fine.

I found that text looks better when using VEXP M1. M2 seems to stretch the text in a weird way and it doesn't look right, and is hard to read.