VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some times when writing with my mechanical keyboard (AT to PS/2 via converter cable, passive) the computer BEEPs and the key that was supposed to be inputed is not inputed.
Some times its 1 beep in every 10 keys, some times no beep for over 100+ keys.

Could it be something with my BIOS settings, or maybe something like old capacitors in the keyboard?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 8, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know, but I've seen old keyboards cause weird problems. About a month ago I was testing an Asus Slot-A board from ebay, and I got disappointed thinking it didn't work. Turned out it just hated both of the old keyboards I had used. It wouldn't POST if they were plugged in. With a modern keyboard it worked fine.

Reply 2 of 8, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sometimes I used to get a keyboard error, in which the computer wouldn't boot if there wasn't any keyboard plugged in...or if there was one plugged in and it just didn't detect it, like if it didn't recognize USB keyboards.

Other times I have to unplug it and plug it back in for the computer to realize that there's a keyboard stuck to it.

Reply 6 of 8, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I put it down to signal degradation introduced by the extension lead, rather than 'delay'. Now, this could've been from poor contacts/ poor cables, and the signalling may have already been degraded from old electronics - the extension lead just made it worse...

Reply 7 of 8, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The extender i use for PS2 is 10cm in length.
I tried also using an different cable with PS2 only and the same thing happened.

Could this mean the other, old electronics?
Would replacing the old capacitors and oscillator do any good?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 8 of 8, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried an AT keyboard without any converters/ extenders?

Before doing anything on the motherboard side, I'd try that first. It could also be the switches in your keyboard failing/ dirty...