VOGONS

First post, by esbardu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I've been "playing" with hardware since I was 15th, back then I owned an Olivetti 386SX 16Mhz, 2Mb, HDD 40Mb, CD 2x + Sound Blaster Pro (1.0). Some weeks ago I needed to make room so I decided to check my old stuff and decide what to keep. I want to thank Vogons as during the last weeks I have read many threads and this was key for the success of this nostalgia project.

I checked all the HW in my storage room and found that 2 Pentium III motherboards were dead (one booted once but I'm afraid that something went wrong with the Power supply and finally I quit). I have also got a P4 HT that is not booting but I'm keeping it to check if it's a memory related issue. The good news is that all the good stuff was working fine, a brief summary of what I "found" in the storage room:

4 AT Cases. 3 Baby AT, one slightly bigger (photo attached).
2 ATX Cases: one quite modern and another one from the P2 years.

Motherboards:
- 486 AZZA Motherboard VL Bus (need to check the model)
- Amptron PM-8800
- Octek RHINO 6VX
- Superpower SP-A586B
- QDI Legend V

Processors
- Intel 386DX 25 (I haven't got any 386 mobos anymore)
- Amd 386DX/DXL-40
- Intel 486 SX 20
- Intel 486SX-33 (2)
- Intel 486DX2-S 66
- Pentium 100
- Pentium 120
- Pentium MMX 166
- Pentium MMX 233
- K6 233 (glued to the heatsink, I managed to get the heatsink out but the labeling went out too)
- K6-2 400
- Pentium II 333 Slot
- Pentium II 350 Slot
- Pentium III 550 Slot
- Pentium III 550 (socket to slot adapter)

Graphics Cards:
- S3 1Mb VL-Bus
- S3 Trio 64 PCI
- S3 Trio 64V+ PCI
- Diamond RIVA 128 AGP 1
- Ati Rage Pro Turbo AGP
- TNT2 AGP

SoundCards:
- Sound Blaster Pro 1.0 (the one from my old 386SX 😀 ).
- Sound Blaster 16 Value ISA
- Aztech ISA (not sure about the model)
- Yamaha Chipset ISA
- ALS 120 ISA
- Sound Blaster 128 PCI
- Vibra 128 PCI (2)
- Sound Blaster Live 5.1
- Audigy 7.1

HDDs, Floppy Drives, CD Units:
- Seagate 100MB, 400Mb
- Maxtor, Samsung , Seagate: from 4Gb to 8Gb
- CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs, CD Recorders. Only interesting thing is a fully working Creative 2x.
- Only 3.5 floppy drives, unfortunately my old external Iomega died and I sold an internal 100Mb drive many years ago.

Monitor:
- LG 701S (only CRT I have). Again it was a gift as it was going to be recycled.

I decided to set up two systems but now I'm really thinking about keeping 3 cases and letting the rest go.

Setting up the 486DX2 (24Mb) was a piece of cake, a friend gave it to me 4 years ago as it was going to be thrown away. It came with a SB 16 but now it's fully working with the SB Pro (I had a DMA Conflict with the SB16 value) I also changed the disk for one, reasonably silent, 8Gb (limited to 2GB, it took me a while to find that I had to use LBA in the set up, otherwise system only sees a 500Mb HDD). It's running MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 (the OS I used to run with my old 386SX). I tested many games and everything works great. This setup is the same as my second PC.

Second rig that I decided to set up was the Pentium MMX 166 (48Mb), this is like my third PC 😀 . From the two Pentium boards the Amptron was the one fully supporting Pentium MMX. I really don't know what VRE is but supposedly the Pentium should be using the right voltage. The Octek can only work at 3.3v, this was from my cousin, I remember upgrading it to a Pentium MMX from P120, back then I really didn't care about 3.3v being too much for a Pentium MMX.

This second system is working fine, old games are playable in DOS mode disabling L1. I have installed Win98SE, HDD is a Seagate 7200.10 250GB limited to 8Gb. The old HDDs were noisier.

Now I have to decide what to do with the K6-2 motherboard and case, it's an AT case and looks great. Maybe I will go for only two rigs; the 486 and the K6-2 as with the K6-2 mobo I can go from the Pentium 100 to the K6-2 400.

I'm still listing the material and organizing the photos, I will upload additional photos tomorrow, would you stay with the K6-2 case or go for the older baby AT?. K6-2 case is really great to work with, a lot of space to swap the CPUs and play with the jumpers.

Filename
IMG_4088.JPG
File size
3.55 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
Pentium MMX + K6-2 case
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
IMG_4089.JPG
File size
3.61 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
K6-2 Case Detail
File license

This is the new desk. 486DX2 case on the left standing and Pentium MMX case on the right.

Filename
Cases.JPG
File size
1.52 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
486 and Pentium Cases
File license

Thanks to all for making this happen. Thanks to this forum I feel really younger now. At the end instead of getting additional room I have bought a new desk to place the old HW in a spare room 😀.

Reply 1 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi and Welcome
The benefits of hording eh?
The 486 case is such a 90's design complete with Mhz display. People would pay a fair bit for the case alone these days.
The K6 case looks pretty good as well with the slide out motherboard tray, and from your line up you have a 486 for coolness, Pentium MMX for serious Dos power, but your missing a good Win9x PC. (I recommend a Slot 1 machine but I love the things) But it would suit that case quite nicely I think.

Hows the Octek board over all? The local PC shop where I grew up used Octek in their builds and their PC's were always crap, but that may have been down to the guys building their PC's rather then the brand itself.

Reply 2 of 6, by esbardu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the welcome,

486DX2 66 and that wonderful vintage case is the system I like the most. It's the one that brings me back to the 386,486 years (my old 486 was later upgraded to an Amd 5x86 133). I had a lot of fun remembering MS-DOS config files. It's working solid as a rock, I'm sure I won't sell this system and I'm also sure no one is Spain would want anything like this.
Pentium MMX 166 is also working great , I could only set up the Pentium MMX 233 at 200 as using the Amptron 8800, the 1.5 multiplier is not working at 3.5 the Pentium does not understand it as 3.5 (with the Octek Mobo it is). Maybe I will use the MMX 233 at 200 anyway but for the moment I will keep the 166.

Pentium MMX 233 + Octek: I have made some tests , mainly MEMTEST but I have not set up a system so I don't know if it's stable. My cousin was quite happy with his PC back then.

K6-2 400, this is my actual "project" and is really a pain, I have many faulty memory modules, only 1 x 128 and 3x64 passed MEMTEST. Even with those modules Windows 98 is restarting continuously, so I guess that the graphic card (ATI Rage Pro 8Mb) is not OK or the CPU is damaged. I will change the graphic card for one of the S3 PCIs. My goal would be to use this system mainly for DOS games and some non demanding Win95 games (NFS 2, Monkey 3, ...). I need the K6-2 mobo as it has got a PS2 mouse connector and that's great as my serial mouses are not that good. I will keep trying different combinations, even if I have to use the MMX 233 with this mobo it will be OK.
I will use the system mainly to play old games with my kid, in the same room (vintage room now) I have also my old Nintendo NES and a Raspberry running Retropie connected to my "old" 32 Samsung LCD.
In this forum most of the people use the systems for playing games but I'm also enjoying running again Turbo Pascal and finding that when I was 16th I had a promising developer career in front of me that I have completely screwed over the years 😁. I have also installed WordPerfect 5.1 and dBase III Plus among other old SW.

Regarding Slot 1. As I did not have one of those systems I really don't find them appealing. Maybe in 5 years time I will be working on such a project, I will keep hoarding 😁.

I will update the post with better photos from all the cases as soon as I have a stable system in the K6-2 case.

Reply 3 of 6, by esbardu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2014-09-08, 13:33:
Hi and Welcome The benefits of hording eh? The 486 case is such a 90's design complete with Mhz display. People would pay a fair […]
Show full quote

Hi and Welcome
The 486 case is such a 90's design complete with Mhz display. People would pay a fair bit for the case alone these days.
The K6 case looks pretty good as well with the slide out motherboard tray, and from your line up you have a 486 for coolness, Pentium MMX for serious Dos power, but your missing a good Win9x PC. (I recommend a Slot 1 machine but I love the things) But it would suit that case quite nicely I think.

Hows the Octek board over all? The local PC shop where I grew up used Octek in their builds and their PC's were always crap, but that may have been down to the guys building their PC's rather then the brand itself.

4 years later I'm finally working on the Slot 1 machine 😀. I have a period correct ATX case but I need to treat the yellow plastic.

Katmai Slot 1 Pentium III 500Mhz
GA-6BXE
256MB (64MBx4), all my 128Mb modules are faulty
Geforce 2 MX200
Seagate 80Gb

I have a Pentium II 350Mhz that should also work on this motherboard, but I have not retested it. I will go for the Pentium III. As for Sound Card I am going to use SB Live 5.1.

Questions: Should I go for the P2 instead?, use an ISA Sound Card?

Reply 4 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
esbardu wrote on 2020-06-09, 07:17:
4 years later I'm finally working on the Slot 1 machine :-). I have a period correct ATX case but I need to treat the yellow pl […]
Show full quote
Hi and Welcome The benefits of hording eh? The 486 case is such a 90's design complete with Mhz display. People would pay a fair […]
Show full quote

Hi and Welcome

4 years later I'm finally working on the Slot 1 machine 😀. I have a period correct ATX case but I need to treat the yellow plastic.

GA-6BXE
Geforce 2 MX200
Seagate 80Gb

I have a Pentium II 350Mhz that should also work on this motherboard, but I have not retested it. I will go for the Pentium III. As for Sound Card I am going to use SB Live 5.1.

Your a year early 😉
Do you still have the K6?
The Slot 1 doesn't do anything that the K6 can't in dos so you don't need ISA sound.
If your still playing network games then definitely it would pair well with the K6 and even if you don't it still wont hurt.
I add ISA cards to all my systems, just gives me options.

CPU speed only really matters for Windows side of things. I see no point in downgrading to a PII
You'll need either Rev. 1.9 or higher to go above a 600Mhz Katmai though

Reply 5 of 6, by esbardu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-06-09, 08:16:
Your a year early ;) Do you still have the K6? The Slot 1 doesn't do anything that the K6 can't in dos so you don't need ISA so […]
Show full quote
4 years later I'm finally working on the Slot 1 machine :-). I have a period correct ATX case but I need to treat the yellow pl […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Hi and Welcome

GA-6BXE
Geforce 2 MX200
Seagate 80Gb

Your a year early 😉
The Slot 1 doesn't do anything that the K6 can't in dos so you don't need ISA sound.
If your still playing network games then definitely it would pair well with the K6 and even if you don't it still wont hurt.

CPU speed only really matters for Windows side of things. I see no point in downgrading to a PII

Indeed it was 6 years ago!

K6-2 motherboard was lost (burnt weeks after my initial post), I still have two working K6-2 CPUs (233, 400) but would need to get a motherboard.

Motherboard is 1.9B 😀.

All the things were properly packed and stored, now I'm just retesting and will keep one of the computers at home. Right now the "retro" PC that I have is an Athlon XP with Windows 98 SE and a SB Live 5.1.

Reply 6 of 6, by esbardu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-06-09, 08:16:
Your a year early ;) Do you still have the K6? The Slot 1 doesn't do anything that the K6 can't in dos so you don't need ISA so […]
Show full quote
Show full quote
Show full quote

Hi and Welcome

GA-6BXE
Geforce 2 MX200
Seagate 80Gb

Your a year early 😉

Just bought a K6-2 533 (ATX motherboard)... I didn't want to spend money considering all the stuff that I already have but it was quite cheap . I will post pictures once it arrives.
I was feeling guilty about having burnt the other one 😀