VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I find mouse movement in Win95 a little choppy compared to Win98SE and WinNT when using the same computer. Is this a common problem, and if so, how is it corrected? I have a PS/2 mouse.

Does installing the Logitech drivers make any difference? If installing Logitech MouseMan drivers for the M-S38 is the way to go, what is the oldest version which will get the job done?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 7, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't noticed any differences in Win95.

What I do notices differences is using a serial mouse compared to a modern PS/2. It's so bad that I can't play with a serial mouse, meaning my gaming systems except my 386 only use PS/2-

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't go back to serial mice either. I would say that my PS/2 mouse feels a little like a serial mouse in Win95, but not as bad.
If your 386 has an AWARD BIOS, even a version 4.20, you can modify the motherboard to use a PS/2 mouse. I have a AWARD-based 386 board I plan on doing this with.

Reply 3 of 7, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With serial mice, lack of precision is more of a problem than speed. If looking for an optical solution, for DOS and low resolution Win9x gaming, the Q500 Digital optical mouse is quite sufficient.
PS/2 is better, of course - especially when the poll rate is adjusted properly. Unoffical Service Packs do that automatically for Win98SE, but one can also use PS/2 Rate Adjuster or similar utilities on any Win9x.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 4 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jolaes76 wrote:

...one can also use PS/2 Rate Adjuster or similar utilities on any Win9x.

Is there any one utility you recommend for Win95 to accomplish this?

Reply 6 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ended up using a program called PS2Rate, found here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ps2rate.html

It made a world of difference! I think Win95 was using a 40 Hz setting. When I upped it to 80 Hz, the results were remarkable. You can go all the way up to 200 Hz, but I was happy enough with 80 Hz. I suspect this is what WinNT4 must be at by default. Thank you Jolaes76!

Will using 200 Hz results in a noticable decrease in system/game performance on a 486?

Reply 7 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently had something similar Mouse was choppy in XP but fine in NT4. I swapped the mouse a Wyse optical PS2 with an older Logetech USB with PS2 adaptor and all worked out, but maybe the above was the real issue?
Kinda glad I had the trouble though as when troubleshooting I stumbled across the copy the pre SP4 mouse driver back over NT4 install to get a working scroll wheel without installing the Intlicrap software.