VOGONS

Reply 40 of 48, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2fort5r

Try this utility to see if it can slow down the card. I cannot try it out right now.

http://www.3dfxzone.it/programs/?objid=447

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 41 of 48, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, I've been testing the card with this, and by lowering the frequency got it to work almost without glitches. It can now complete the 3DMark 99/2000/2001 tests without corruption or crashes, but there's still a strange jerkiness to the animation which isn't normal. I'll test it more thoroughly at the weekend.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 42 of 48, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Roland SCC-1 has arrived. Still waiting for Sound Blaster Pro 2.0.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 43 of 48, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I thought this project was going to be simple, I was wrong. I have decided that I want a box that is much more capable than what I first envisioned and the Geode platform was too limiting for several reasons. Only two PCI and two ISA slots, complete lack of L2 cache, so that when I disable L1 cache I ended up with a 386 and not a 486 equivalent. I like the Geode, and is has its place, just not for this project which aims to cram as much as possible (abilities, not literal amounts of hardware) into a single box. So, with that said here are my new plans.

Asus TXP4-X Motherboard http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock7/430 … x/txp4x-101.pdf
Socket 7, ATX, Intel TX chipset
4-PCI, 4-ISA (1 is shared) This should give plenty of expansion options for sound cards, etc.
Supports AMD K6-2/3+ with modded BIOS http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm#patched
Modded BIOS also supports up to 128GB hard drives
The lack of AGP will not effect me. A 3dfx Voodoo1 will be installed if needed. I will not be playing games that require more graphics power than that on this box.

AMD K6-2+ 450ACZ CPU (2.0V core)
I will be using the k6dos.sys utility to change CPU multiplier as needed from 2 to 6.

16MB RAM

I am still trying to decide on the operating system. I do not like the fact that MS-DOS 7.10 is not complete the same way 6.22 is and I am not sure how compatible FreeDOS 1.1 is. I really do not want Windows on this box but I may end up putting 95b or 98SE on. I do not want to get stuck with 2GB partition limit but I otherwise want MS-DOS 6.22. Maybe multiple 2GB partitions are in my future?

Still testing sound cards and figuring out what I like. This could go on forever I think but I really like that Yamaha YMF718-S 😉

I found a working 15" LCD monitor and I think it's the perfect size and it looks good with correct 4:3 ratio.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 44 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't let MS-DOS 7.1 put you off. There is very little you need to get going. I made a video covering this:

http://youtu.be/k_pppclfshE

This will give you all the command line utilities, but seriously, for playing games all you need are himem, emm386 and mscdex. Feel free to use my start-up files as well from http://www.philscomputerlab.com/cd-rom-mouse- … t-up-files.html

And you are good to go!

I like that Asus board. The BIOS is also nice.

Eager to find out how much faster the K6-III+ will end up compared to the MMX 233. It doesn't do 100 MHz FSB, so performance gain will be somewhat limited. But the soft multiplier is a big plus no doubt.

Also note that the MMX233 is much faster with caches turned off. So if you are after emulating a decent 486DX2 do not go with the AMD.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 45 of 48, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks Phil,

I have several Intel MMX CPU's if needed and I will bench it once it is all together and see what's best. I am currently using MS-DOS 7.10 with your files. The things that bug me, and I know they may seem trivial, are there is no defrag to put everything in order when using dir command (I hate it not being alphabetized when looking) and of course the Windows 98 splash screen hehe. Oh well. The board looks promising and is in excellent condition. I cannot even find dirt in the USB or serial ports. So with caches off you think a 400-MHz K6-2+ will be beaten by a 233-MHz MMX. I need to look at your charts some more. Do you have that info outside of your videos? My Hackintosh (main box at the house) is having sound issues and I have not felt like messing with it, so Youtube is of little use. I am looking forward to exploring Daggerfall.

You will be proud Phil.... very proud.... the SCC-1 stays even if it isn't used all the time hehe. Now where can I get a set of cables for that thing? Mini-din to MIDI for connecting external MT-32?

Thanks again Phil for all you do in the community. How long do you think it will take that board to get to you?

Windows 98 SE

Reply 46 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The other option you have is installing Windows 98SE and using MS-DOS mode. This allows you a few more things such as disabling the splash screen for example and running defrag from within Windows.

Yes the MMX, even at the slowest setting it will beat the K6-2+ (I didn't have a K6-III+ back then) at the fastest setting.

I've attached my results from a few years ago 😀 They should come in handy...

Attachments

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 47 of 48, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks again.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 48 of 48, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh how plans change.......

I just rescued a Packard Bell Platinum Pro 650 from a local thrift store. It was tucked away in the back and probably was sitting there for years collecting dust. It actually works and is complete! It is an odd bird for sure. Weird form factor with riser card for expansion cards, AT PSU, 4: 8-MB 72-Pin SIMMs, PS/2, no USB, and 166-MHz Pentium (Non-MMX). Very sturdy chassis, weren't they all back then? It has onboard S3 Virge video. I am being tempted to refurb this thing and either sell it or use it for DOS gaming. Too many choices.

Here is the chassis taken down for cleaning.

Filename
PackardBell.JPG
File size
1.41 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception