VOGONS

First post, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I searched the forums and I only saw two mentions of this but no discussion of what it sounded like or any comparisons.

DreamBlaster Synth S1
http://www.serdashop.com/waveblaster

I found that http://www.wavetable.nl/ has added recordings of this device.

Looks to be a new, promising, inexpensive, obtainable upgrade for any WaveBlaster Header. The main thing is it's actually obtainable. What do you think?

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 2 of 109, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I guess I will be a Guinea Pig.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 4 of 109, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It seems it is a 128 instrument GM compatible daughterboard with a MT-32 emulation mode as well according to the datasheet. Also has some nice polyphony as well, not bad at all 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 109, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope the site is legit, I give up trying to find these internal waveblaster addons, at-least ones that don't cost a fortune 🤣.
Wish they had more songs for comparison tho.

Reply 6 of 109, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Shop seems to be in Belgium.

There was a time when this guy from China was selling these NEC / Yamaha boards. Then he sold out 🙁

Personally, I would invest a bit more into an external Roland or Yamaha unit. You can use it for all your machines as well as DOSBox, ScummVM and specific games (Like Doom engines).

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 109, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've actually tried using my Casio synth keyboard in that way, as a MPU-401 device as I have the cables to plug it into a gameport, its quite old and unique sounding.
But its not fully GM compatible only has 96 instruments, so things are missing and ordered incorrectly in some cases. It does sound nice on some songs and can be pumped into my receivers.
I really do want to get one of those Roland units one of these days.

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2014-09-14, 18:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 109, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fellow Dutchman and Vogons user Chill72 was involved in this offering. He wrote about it on his Waveblaster webpage:
http://members.home.nl/c.kersten/

It is hard to find the ROM size for the SAM2195 synthesizer chip, but I noted it to be 512kB.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 9 of 109, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My intention for this daughterboard is to plug it into one of these YMF718-S based cards for a simple stand alone system.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISA-16bit-Sound-Card- … =item2ed68e606d

Windows 98 SE

Reply 11 of 109, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fabian from Amoretro's review translated into English:

With the "Dream Blaster " achieved this year (2014 ) a brand new wavetable module market . " As brand new, but the standard is already outdated years ? " You may ask . Yes , he is what the Belgian developer Serge Defever has not deterred for experimental purposes to design a standard for Wave Blaster compatible daughterboard and finally to bring to market.

The heart of the tiny with 35x34mm module is highly integrated SAM2195 wavetable synthesizer chip of the well-known French synthesizer Schmide legend . Synth , effects processor and instrument storage are housed on the small fingernail-sized BGA IC . By the dimensions of the module is also suitable for Aufstekcen on sound cards that are not capable of full-size modules such as Yamaha , Roland or Korg .

According to the data found in large 0.5MB ROM of the well-known CleanWave soundfont that has been around since the 1990s in modules of 1MB - gave 4MB size . However, the Clean Wave - sample set used here seems to have nothing except the name in common with the old , the sound is completely different. About mediocre to sometimes very weak sounding instrument samples did not skimp on the use of reverb and chorus effects , so that some inadequacy can ignore safely in a rippling harmony . Looking at the individual instrument groups for itself , it quickly becomes clear that it is not possible in 2014 ( compressed ? ) Samples to squeeze in high quality 0.5MB ROM . Although the module has a perfectly crisp acres with its powerful drums and strong bass output , but the wind sound like various string sections clearly synthetic than on most other modules that I 've heard so far . Plucked instruments such as the harp are running away . However, it did the sound designer , very harmonic tune the samples to each other , so that the inexperienced listener might once did not notice that the instruments do not sound as they should . Highlight absolutely positive is the good signal level - the module is loud and at the same time very low noise .

Should I free shipping from Belgium now recommend this module for 29,95 € to buy ? It is difficult for me . Although I rate the push to develop a new module is very positive , the quality is settled total mainly due to the small size of ROM today ridiculous sounding 0.5MB far below the standard in the 1990s fidelity.
By coherent effects, the module still is for "Easy Listening " and thus for all , the appropriate DOS games with better background music will enjoy as OPL3 FM music , but the investment in some cases significantly more expensive wavetable modules ( maybe for now) yet shy . Who does not attach great importance to authentic-sounding instruments , can be satisfied with this module thoroughly , even if contrary to the true sense of a Wavtablemoduls to allow instrument faithful music reproduction .
On the other hand, provides as an AWE64 Sound Blaster sound card that is currently in the same price range ( Housed price ) as this module is , a higher sample quality with more realistic sounding instruments and is certainly preferable as All- in -One solution to this plug-in module .

I thank the developers of this module you for the easy deployment of the test pattern .

Reply 13 of 109, by Holering

User metadata

I bought it. Also, Belgium makes some killer chocolate 😲 ! The sample recordings I heard make Dune sound WAAAAY better (at least for my taste)!

Personally don't understand why the Aussies don't ship overseas. Want to buy things from computeronline.com.au and gamedude.com.au but I'm in the U.S.... They have things not found anywhere here.

Reply 14 of 109, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Holering wrote:

I bought it. Also, Belgium makes some killer chocolate 😲 ! The sample recordings I heard make Dune sound WAAAAY better (at least for my taste)!

Personally don't understand why the Aussies don't ship overseas. Want to buy things from computeronline.com.au and gamedude.com.au but I'm in the U.S.... They have things not found anywhere here.

Strange that we have things down here that you guys don't. For me its always been the other way around. Most of my hardware has come from the US. What items are you after from down here in particular?

Reply 15 of 109, by Holering

User metadata
borgie83 wrote:

Strange that we have things down here that you guys don't. For me its always been the other way around. Most of my hardware has come from the US. What items are you after from down here in particular?

Albatron Atop AGP to PCIE 16x bridge adapter.

On the other hand, provides as an AWE64 Sound Blaster sound card that is currently in the same price range ( Housed price ) as this module is , a higher sample quality with more realistic sounding instruments and is certainly preferable as All- in -One solution to this plug-in module .

Based on the recordings available from the Dreamblaster, I have to disagree with that review. Default Awe64 soundfont (512k) sounds awfully generic, imbalanced and thin IMO (even the bigger ones). It is bassy, hollow and not detailed. The GUS classic pat set and Terratec have a similar sound IMO but more detailed. Dreamblaster sounds brighter, more detailed, and synthy; and different. Some of the Dune recordings sound really good IMO (and Duke 3D); that is what led me to buy it. ROM size doesn't make a better sounding module IMO (how big is the SC-55 rom?).

Reply 16 of 109, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK the sc-55 mk1 has a 3MB sample rom and the mk2 a 4MB one , something along these lines

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17 of 109, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't sound bad and if someone needs a wavetable board why not. Personally I would rather pay 2x -3x more for an external unit simply because of the flexibility. 30 Euros is just a little bit too much for me to grab one, would be happy to pay A$30 though.

How does it sound in Doom E1M1?

Once you step outside of Roland, IMO, it doesn't really matter what you pick. They all sound different, great in some games, ok in others, bad in a few. Once you are deep in Doom or Dune II you kind off ignore these details anyway.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 18 of 109, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did 21 recordings of the module.
You can listen to them if you like at: http://www.amoretro.de/2014/07/dreamblaster-s … oard-0-5mb.html

Cheers
Fabian

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 19 of 109, by Holering

User metadata

Thanks. Descent level 21 sounds great! Lots of stereo effects. All the others sound great! It sounds powerful in Warcraft II. Pretty amazing what 512k of ROM can do. It's like midi is brand new again. Could listen to gigs worth of pre-recorded music with this, besides playing games. Can't wait for it to arrive.

EDIT:
Just listened to your Creative WaveBlaster CT1900 4mb recordings and yeah I just don't like it. For whatever reason, I have a Yamaha+XG+Sound+Set.sf2 4 megabyte soundfont, and it makes the normal yamaha XG sound almost like a cheap cellphone from late 20th century.

EDIT:
Dang that XR385 does a job on Descent level 21. Sounds really good!