VOGONS

Reply 101 of 114, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

It's silly because we all KNOW that 330 is what ended up the de-facto setting for most games. If you choose a different setting then don't be surprised if something doesn't work.

True for applications that are hardwired on source to tap 330h address. But my point is, just because some games were hardwired by their programmers to only tap 330h for MIDI doesn't mean it's silly to have the option or try another ports. In fact my Roland gear always worked fine on other ports other than 330h, as other MIDI stuff did as well in games and other applications.

But that doesn't mean HighTreason's issue was caused by having the SCC-1 on 300h, neither i'll say that Roland is crap. They actually make excellent quality stuff. From what he describes, i assume the MPU-401 on his SCC-1 could probably not transmit those SysEx's due to some imciompatibility.

In fact, ripsaw8080 just a while ago found a problem with one of Sierra's Yamaha FB-01 drivers for SCI games, in which there was a mismatch between the SysEx that was transmited and what the Yamaha FB-01 should receive. This would result in dump/error messages on the Yamaha for the first SysEx. After he fixed it, problem is gone. I guess it's easier to blame the hardware first...

Reply 102 of 114, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I have not given my Windows 98 SE computer any attention for a while. I need to really get her 100% finished and bring her home to be able to play all the great early Windows games. After reading a lot about what folks have said, reviews, etc. I have decided on a Vortex2 based sound card for that computer.

So for my early Windows 9x gaming box that is the one sound card I would have. The reasons for this card are all over Vogons hehe but here is a quote from this thread that covers it.

vetz wrote:

As my primary interest is early Windows 3D games I would say the Aureal Vortex 2. Good SB PRO DOS compatibility, good Windows UI, A3D sound, EAX 1.0, optical out, wavetable header. It's the best all-round card I've come across. The built-in MIDI synth also sounds very good.

I just ordered a Turtle Beach TBS400 PCI Sound Card (NOS) off ebay for $15USD shipped. Seems fair to me. 1 left FYI.

I think this will be just wonderful playing Thief with headphones 😀

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 104 of 114, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
squareguy wrote:

So, if you could only have one sound card, what would it be and why?

Sound Blaster Pro 2. Why? It works in any vintage system (including 8-bit ISA slots), it works with any software that supports 8-bit Sound Blaster output, and it can stumble through MIDI if it absolutely has to with OPL3 patches.

Note that "only have one sound card" != my favorite sound card. That honor goes to the Gravis Ultrasound.

Reply 105 of 114, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As long as it's backwards compatible with an SB16, has the capability to add a bunch of RAM on it, so I can load the different soundfonts I use, and a nice DAC, I guess that would be enough to make me happy.

Reply 106 of 114, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I've got two 1680s. Now I don't remember if these had the swapped L and R or if it was a SB Pro compatible card like the Audacian. Still it is something one should be aware off and double check.

The actual SB Pro doesn't have L and R swapped, however bad software could swap the channels. The card expects the data in a certain order and if you initialize it's auto-init DMA with an odd-sized double buffer (as opposed to even-sized), the sound will swap channels constantly while it is playing 😳 The WOWII module player does this, for those who want an example.

Reply 107 of 114, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MobyGamer wrote:
squareguy wrote:

So, if you could only have one sound card, what would it be and why?

Sound Blaster Pro 2. Why? It works in any vintage system (including 8-bit ISA slots), it works with any software that supports 8-bit Sound Blaster output, and it can stumble through MIDI if it absolutely has to with OPL3 patches.

Note that "only have one sound card" != my favorite sound card. That honor goes to the Gravis Ultrasound.

Didn't the AWE64 also come in ISA versions? That was backwards compatible with SB16, had an EMU processor, and SIMM slots to expand the onboard RAM to let you load custom soundfonts, if memory serves. Could be wrong about that, though.

Reply 108 of 114, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElectricMonk wrote:

Didn't the AWE64 also come in ISA versions?

it ORIGINALLY came in ISA versions. PCI versions were special OEM cards

it's also not the best for compatibility either, it hardlocks in certain games. also had that godawful CQM

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 109 of 114, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:

it ORIGINALLY came in ISA versions. PCI versions were special OEM cards

it's also not the best for compatibility either, it hardlocks in certain games. also had that godawful CQM

I used the ISA version, and didn't encounter any hardlocks. Which games had that occur? Genuinely curious.

Reply 110 of 114, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also never had any compatibility issues with the AWE64 Gold. But you never know with old hardware 🤣

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 111 of 114, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

I never had those issues, but my AWE64 Gold really has no other function than its EMU8000 synth. And i agree with you i don't like CQM either, although with my mixer i EQ'ed to make it sound more like a real OPL3. Still it lacks some off that true FM dynamic. Ended up changing the AdLib port to something else just so the damn thing doesn't play.

MobyGamer wrote:

Wow i thought your favorite card was something like the IBM Music Feature Card. But, i'm a GUS lover too and i can't imagine my main retro rig without one.

Reply 112 of 114, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElectricMonk wrote:

Yes, but the card requires a 16-bit ISA slot IIRC. Because most of my hobby work is on systems with 8-bit ISA slots, I restricted my answer to a card that would work in any ISA system.

carlostex wrote:

Wow i thought your favorite card was something like the IBM Music Feature Card. But, i'm a GUS lover too and i can't imagine my main retro rig without one.

IBM MFC gets honorable mention for attempting to be a professional musicians's tool (MIDI box, could put 4 cards in a system, had it's own timer/interrupt system per card, could detune each card +/-127 cents for atonal/experimental compositions, etc.). But it's lack of reverb/chorus really hurt when compared to the MT-32 for general consumer listenability, and it was priced appropriately for a professional tool ($695 in 1987 dollars IIRC) so of course it had no chance outside of a studio.

Reply 113 of 114, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MobyGamer wrote:

IBM MFC gets honorable mention for attempting to be a professional musicians's tool (MIDI box, could put 4 cards in a system, had it's own timer/interrupt system per card, could detune each card +/-127 cents for atonal/experimental compositions, etc.). But it's lack of reverb/chorus really hurt when compared to the MT-32 for general consumer listenability, and it was priced appropriately for a professional tool ($695 in 1987 dollars IIRC) so of course it had no chance outside of a studio.

I'm not sure if the Yamaha FB-01 did had some studio time though, the Yamaha DX-7 probably had, but personally owning a FB-01 and being a lover of FM synthesis i just wish the FB-01/IBM MFC had more game support. Really a pity, cause i really like how it sounds. Of course not on the same level of a MT-32 but in my opinion very cool otherwise.

Reply 114 of 114, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This somewhat off-topic, but if anyone finds the IBM Music Feature version of Music Construction Set, please get in contact with me -- it's the last piece of software I need to complete a full IBM MFC software set (which I will gladly make available to the world).