Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby sliderider » 2014-10-01 @ 03:43

brostenen wrote:Nope..... No Voodoo cards for my mac. Not worth it.
As you clearly state. The V5 is way too expensive for what I in reality are getting. And Voodoo3 cards are easy outperformed by eighter geForce3 and 4 cards.
I can get geForce4 cards as low as 8.54 US Dollars and V2 cards are from 22 US Dollars and up. (depends on were I look online)
V5 cards, on the other hand. There is one on ebay right now, think the seller is stating that it is a V5-PCI-Mac edition.
It's in italian, so I can't be shure.
The price is 55 euro (69.95 US Dollars) and 15 euro for shipping (19 US Dollars). And the price is changing (auction).

To bring it back to what I was saying. Is. That Voodoo cards in general, is way too expensive for what it gives.
Shure it's about retro purity and stuff, that people are buying Voodoo cards for. Just... I will only buy at a low price.
The reason is that I can get GF2 and GF4 cards at a much lower price, and they some times outperform V3 cards.
As of today, I am keeping my two V1 cards. Yeah... They are slow. And only because they kickstarted the whole 3D thing.
And because Quake1-GL looks so good on the Rage128Pro-Mac compared to Voodoo2, I am not going to spend more on this mac.
Only when something breaks, I will be buing new stuff for my G4 machine.


A Voodoo 2 works in Macs out of the box, no flashing required.
User avatar
sliderider
l33t++
 
Posts: 5754
Joined: 2010-6-25 @ 13:02

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby filipetolhuizen » 2014-10-01 @ 05:07

sliderider wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:Remember that the Geforce FX will only work in OS X.


It will work as a 2D card in MacOS 9, you just won't get 3D acceleration because there are no GeForce FX drivers for MacOS 9 that support it. I think the GeForce 4Ti is the last nVidia card that you can get 3D acceleration out of in MacOS 9.

That's what I meant. And from the Geforce 4 ti, the fastest supported is the ti4600. The ti4800 might not work. For ATI, the last to be supported in Mac OS 9 is the Radeon 9250.
User avatar
filipetolhuizen
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: 2006-10-24 @ 02:25
Location: Curitiba, Brazil

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby dr.zeissler » 2014-10-01 @ 05:09

but in case of performance an feature set the 9250 is not the best card. i think the 9000Pro or 8500 should be much better/faster.
CPU: PII 133-333 MOBO: SNI-D981 RAM: 512- FDD: Dualfloppy 3,5"HD/5,25"HD - 3,5"HD - 5,25"DD ISA-Catweasel HDD: 2x40GB - DVD
ISA(3): Audician32-S2Dreamblaster - GusACE PCI(3): Monster3D- Intel NW AGP(1): 3dfx V3-3000
dr.zeissler
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1273
Joined: 2011-9-28 @ 15:33

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby cdoublejj » 2014-10-18 @ 07:26

OS 9?

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:Rare 2GHz CPU upgrade?


Tell me more...
User avatar
cdoublejj
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: 2007-2-04 @ 19:48
Location: USA, MO

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby sliderider » 2014-11-28 @ 03:23

cdoublejj wrote:OS 9?

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:Rare 2GHz CPU upgrade?


Tell me more...


The last G4 upgrade was 7448 based and was available as a single or dual 1.8ghz. I have seen reviews for the 2ghz 7447A, but never saw any actual product either for sale or being talked about by anyone who had one. I do not believe they ever shipped except to reviewers. If someone in the Mac community ever actually owned one of these there would be mention of it somewhere on the internet and there isn't outside of old review articles. The 7448 was a more refined design than the 7447A so running it at 1.8ghz would be equal to a 2ghz 7447A anyway and be easier to get.
User avatar
sliderider
l33t++
 
Posts: 5754
Joined: 2010-6-25 @ 13:02

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby mr_bigmouth_502 » 2014-11-28 @ 16:13

So the best path for a G4 upgrade would be the dual-core 1.8GHz model. Would it need Mac OS X, or did earlier Mac OS versions allow for multiprocessing?
My NEW(ish) desktop:
Image
User avatar
mr_bigmouth_502
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: 2009-5-16 @ 19:43
Location: Canada

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby filipetolhuizen » 2014-11-28 @ 16:56

Earlier Mac OS weren't optimized for multiprocessing, but if the new firmware allows, it can still boot classic.
User avatar
filipetolhuizen
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: 2006-10-24 @ 02:25
Location: Curitiba, Brazil

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby sliderider » 2014-12-13 @ 11:27

filipetolhuizen wrote:Earlier Mac OS weren't optimized for multiprocessing, but if the new firmware allows, it can still boot classic.


The Powermac 9500 and 9600 had optional dual processors and predate OS X. The Daystar Genesis had dual or quad processor configurations from the same time period. The thing is, though, that multi-processor support was implemented at the application level under MacOS and not at the operating system level like under OS X. If it's done at the OS level, then any app can take advantage of it. If it's implemented at the application level, then only apps written to take advantage of more than one processor can use it. Apps not written with multi-processing in mind won't know that additional processors are even available so the additional processors will be of no benefit to them.
User avatar
sliderider
l33t++
 
Posts: 5754
Joined: 2010-6-25 @ 13:02

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby filipetolhuizen » 2014-12-13 @ 12:37

sliderider wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:Earlier Mac OS weren't optimized for multiprocessing, but if the new firmware allows, it can still boot classic.


The Powermac 9500 and 9600 had optional dual processors and predate OS X. The Daystar Genesis had dual or quad processor configurations from the same time period. The thing is, though, that multi-processor support was implemented at the application level under MacOS and not at the operating system level like under OS X. If it's done at the OS level, then any app can take advantage of it. If it's implemented at the application level, then only apps written to take advantage of more than one processor can use it. Apps not written with multi-processing in mind won't know that additional processors are even available so the additional processors will be of no benefit to them.

There was also a dual ZIF socket bay for the Beige or B&W, but it's ultra rare.
User avatar
filipetolhuizen
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: 2006-10-24 @ 02:25
Location: Curitiba, Brazil

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby Dropcik » 2015-2-19 @ 23:33

You could put in a dual processor 450mhz or 500mhz cpu card and run panther or tiger smoothly. I would also buy a radeon 9000 pro from a quicksilver g4 and overclock it. It will be a whole lot better than a rage 128. I have a voodoo v3 3000 in my power mac g3 :happy:
Ayy LMAO
User avatar
Dropcik
Newbie
 
Posts: 65
Joined: 2015-1-14 @ 22:13
Location: Inverness FL

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby sliderider » 2015-2-22 @ 19:47

Dropcik wrote:You could put in a dual processor 450mhz or 500mhz cpu card and run panther or tiger smoothly. I would also buy a radeon 9000 pro from a quicksilver g4 and overclock it. It will be a whole lot better than a rage 128. I have a voodoo v3 3000 in my power mac g3 :happy:


Tiger is more dependent on memory than CPU. I have run it on a single 533 but that machine only had 256mb when I bought it and it wasn't without issues. Tiger needs more to breathe. 512mb or more will really wake it up.
User avatar
sliderider
l33t++
 
Posts: 5754
Joined: 2010-6-25 @ 13:02

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby Dropcik » 2015-2-23 @ 22:45

sliderider wrote:
Dropcik wrote:You could put in a dual processor 450mhz or 500mhz cpu card and run panther or tiger smoothly. I would also buy a radeon 9000 pro from a quicksilver g4 and overclock it. It will be a whole lot better than a rage 128. I have a voodoo v3 3000 in my power mac g3 :happy:


Tiger is more dependent on memory than CPU. I have run it on a single 533 but that machine only had 256mb when I bought it and it wasn't without issues. Tiger needs more to breathe. 512mb or more will really wake it up.


PC133 ram is easy to come by, you can probably get 4 512mb sticks for $20
Ayy LMAO
User avatar
Dropcik
Newbie
 
Posts: 65
Joined: 2015-1-14 @ 22:13
Location: Inverness FL

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby bakudd » 2015-4-24 @ 03:08

sliderider wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:OS 9?

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:Rare 2GHz CPU upgrade?


Tell me more...


The last G4 upgrade was 7448 based and was available as a single or dual 1.8ghz. I have seen reviews for the 2ghz 7447A, but never saw any actual product either for sale or being talked about by anyone who had one. I do not believe they ever shipped except to reviewers. If someone in the Mac community ever actually owned one of these there would be mention of it somewhere on the internet and there isn't outside of old review articles. The 7448 was a more refined design than the 7447A so running it at 1.8ghz would be equal to a 2ghz 7447A anyway and be easier to get.


Actually there was a 2ghz 7448
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20 ... 8YourMac09

In fact since I made that post I managed to track down someone who had one and bought it from him, so they are floating around out there, I would take pictures but unfortunately there are no identifiers for it other than the microscopic serial number on the box (NWTMAXG48S2000)

It also comes with dip switches for an easy overclock going up to 2.4 ghz, I'm going to try it out once I've got a good cooling system in place
bakudd
Newbie
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 2013-9-29 @ 02:17

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby LunarG » 2015-7-23 @ 07:10

I know what I'd use a G4 for: MorphOS :)
WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SB AWE64 Gold.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 32MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, ELSA Winner 1000PRO, GUS 1MB, SB16.
User avatar
LunarG
Member
 
Posts: 458
Joined: 2013-6-26 @ 20:37
Location: Norway

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby bakudd » 2015-9-23 @ 02:05

.
Last edited by bakudd on 2016-1-11 @ 02:07, edited 1 time in total.
bakudd
Newbie
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 2013-9-29 @ 02:17

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby ynari » 2015-9-26 @ 02:00

The 'best OS' in terms of running modern software is probably Linux PPC, but NetBSD is hands down the most compatible Unix for Mac PPC systems out there and has extensive notes on working with open firmware.

With a system that old OS X probably isn't an option, although there are recent custom builds of Firefox for it. I don't remember being terribly impressed by the support is Mac OS 9.

Course, 'best OS' in terms of running games is undoubtedly Mac OS 9 with a 4600Ti as mentioned. For an OS X only system there are faster cards, but your system is too slow to bother with them.
ynari
Member
 
Posts: 366
Joined: 2014-5-29 @ 12:38
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby bakudd » 2015-9-28 @ 22:07

4600Ti is absolutely overkill for OS 9 games. The only OS9 games where I've had sub 60 fps on my Powerbook G4 are Return To Castle Wolfenstein (which was among the very last OS 9 games released) and Descent 3 (which has shit framerates on every system due to a bug on the Mac port which the programmers never bothered to fix.)
bakudd
Newbie
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 2013-9-29 @ 02:17

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby xjas » 2015-9-29 @ 03:28

I have an iMac G3/500 with Panther on it, I thought it runs well enough. It also dual boots OS9.1 which flies. 640MB SDRAM helps. Tiger doesn't seem that much different than Panther to me? Does the dual-architecture stuff really slow it down or what?

My dual-G5 towers run Leopard, tried Debian 8 out for a while but I wasn't happy with the desktop accelleration (due to crappy xorg-Radeon support. AMD's closed source driver doesn't run on PPC naturally.)
selected (probably) unfinished build threads { In a Lunchbox / Has It All / Hot Damn! / IT IS THE NINETIES / 20 Years of Junk }
User avatar
xjas
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1257
Joined: 2015-9-07 @ 02:29

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby chrisNova777 » 2016-1-12 @ 06:31

just was reading this thread..
im surprised that filipetolhuizen never mentioned that he had alot of probems trying to get his 9200 radeon to work with os 9.22
and that the 9200 radeon is impossible to get to work with os 8.6 as far as i know..

i had to help him get his working some time ago on another forum!! if anyone else reading this thread has a b+w g3. i had a number of different graphics cards with this machine.. radeon 7000 etc.. after alot of buggyness i decided to just keep the ati rage default caard in this machine because it can cause alot of wierdness if u dont.. bootup problems.. strange wierd problems that seem to have no cause... all of it goes away when u put back the default ati rage card tho.

unless u are running OSX only - then the radeon 9200 can work fine. but with os9.. i had loads of problems with it..
and dont try to do any cpu overclock with this machine in combination with a upgraded graphics card... u will just run into headaches. i had my g4 450 overclocked to 500mhz and had all kinds of problems that went away 100% when resetting the cpu to 450 stock + stock video card.. its just not worth the headaches in my opinion to mess around with the b+3 g3's - its way more of a headache wheras if u had a sawtooth.. u can really tweak it and not have any problems.
User avatar
chrisNova777
Oldbie
 
Posts: 628
Joined: 2014-12-22 @ 12:48

Re: Best os for G4 350 mhz Agp?

Postby chrisNova777 » 2016-1-12 @ 06:48

ok my mistake i read the topic wrong.. g4 350.. i thought it said g3 450 LOL which is what i have..
dunno how i could have read that wrong !!!
my bad ;)
User avatar
chrisNova777
Oldbie
 
Posts: 628
Joined: 2014-12-22 @ 12:48

PreviousNext

Return to General Old Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bit, Google [Bot] and 10 guests