VOGONS

Help with DOS mode in Windows 98 SE

Topic actions

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I am having a problem with DOS mode on a Pentium 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 383 Ram (says Windows), Sound Blaster Live! Sound card, and Nvidia Geforce FX 5500. When I type exit to reboot into 98 it stays stuck on "Rebooting Windows" and a flashing cursor. Is there anyway to fix this?

Last edited by MrEWhite on 2014-09-22, 20:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Instead of exit try win. Or just CTRL+ALT+DELETE.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 23, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had this with a P2 and a P3... I think the Athlon does something similar.

I suspected it to be a problem with the GeForce driver and do not know a work-around. On rare occasions, pressing Esc when the system froze worked but I never figured out exactly what was going on.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7 of 23, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I used to have a Sound Blaster Live! and GeForce FX 5500 in my Pentium 4 2.4GHz build and also had the same problem with DOS mode (had to use a Win98SE boot floppy to get around this). Then about 2 months ago I replaced the FX 5500 with a GeForce 4 Ti 4200, but the problem was still there. 2 weeks later I replaced the Sound Blaster Live! with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, and DOS mode finally worked as it should.

MrEWhite, go ahead and try the TNT2 M64 with Nvidia drivers no higher than 30.82; if the DOS mode issue is still there, then I would also suggest replacing the Sound Blaster Live! with another PCI sound card. If you need sound in DOS mode, then an ESS Solo-1 or Aureal Vortex 2-based sound card should work; I used the Santa Cruz since I already had it on hand and don't need sound in DOS mode (plus the Santa Cruz DOS sound emulation is really bad and crash-prone).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 8 of 23, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also had this problem with P3 and GeForce FX5200 and Sblive 5.1..

changed Drivers of GFX-Card doesn't help, maybe it's Soundcard related...

btw, my Screen is blank only with Cursor in the upper left corner.

Reply 9 of 23, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One possible reason for your problem is because, once you start in MS-DOS mode, you are loading certain DOS based drivers.
Typing "exit" will just try to load Windows, without unloading those MS-DOS drivers, which could cause Windows to hang (for various reasons, like not enough memory available, conflicts, etc.)
Mau1wurf1977's suggestion by pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE is the best solution.

An alternative solution would be to set up a boot menu and boot straight into MS-DOS 7.10 (on which Windows 95b to 98SE runs) when you start up your PC.
That way, you don't have to first boot into Windows & then restart in MS-DOS Mode (after all, if you want to work in DOS, why do you first want to boot into Windows?).
I've done this on all my DOS based PC's and it works much better for me.

You will obviously then have to ensure that you set up your start up files (Autoexec.bat & Config.sys) correctly so that you can load all the relevant DOS drivers (memory manager, CD-ROM drivers, mouse, soundcard, etc.).
You will also have to edit your MSDOS.SYS (read-only & hidden) file in your root directory to enable you to bypass the GUI and boot straight into DOS.

Once you set up your boot menu correctly then, at start up, you can select to either boot into Windows or DOS.
You can set up multiple boot scenario's (for example, to boot with or without EMM386.exe).

Reply 11 of 23, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, that is a quick way of booting straight into DOS.
However, this won't load any DOS drivers or memory managers (you need to "define" that in your start up files in the relevant sections).

Reply 12 of 23, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How would I set up a boot menu? And I want to use the GPU sense my current one doesn't like 98 so much. (FX 5500) and this green thing on the motherboard which secures the GPU in doesnt fit my GPU, would there be a way to remove it? Pictured here http://imgur.com/QNvxhLe it kind of bends the green secure thing and I am afarid it would break.
It also looks like its a incompatibility with FX cards.

Reply 16 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrEWhite wrote:

How would I set up a boot menu?

This might be of help:

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/ms-dos-mode.html

My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 23, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never got many dos games to run in any 9x OS. The so-called "9x dos compatibility" is a lie. Most programs don't install properly, crash, or just not work at all. Most dos settings in autoexe and config are disabled in 9x. I recommend using only dos 6.22 and win3.1 if you want to do anything dos related.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 18 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
computergeek92 wrote:

I never got many dos games to run in any 9x OS. The so-called "9x dos compatibility" is a lie. Most programs don't install properly, crash, or just not work at all. Most dos settings in autoexe and config are disabled in 9x. I recommend using only dos 6.22 and win3.1 if you want to do anything dos related.

I'm sorry but this simply incorrect and likely because you were running things from within Windows and not booting to MS-DOS mode + loading DOS CD-ROM, mouse and memory drivers.

My YouTube channel