VOGONS

First post, by adolobe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a quick question and hopefully you guys are more helpful than google.

I recently picked up two old Packard bell 486. The original HDD works and loads up to Win 3.1 and DOS 6.0 with all the correct drivers for the CD Rom, ISA Sound Card, etc.

I know this HDD is over 20 years old from its manufacture date so its probably on its last legs. I want to clone the drive to a CF or SSD to preserve the original drive and most importantly because I know all the hardware drivers are currently set up appropriately. I plan to eventual try upgrading the Win/DOS, having a few CF clones of the drive will insure I dont screw myself.

Before I go plugging in the old HDD into a modern Windows machine and using a modern clone program like Samsung Data Migration I wanted to know if there was a more safer approach. Last thing i wanna do is damage the original HDD. Also what is the largest HDD that Win 3.1 DOS 6.0 support.

My current HDD in these machines is 170mb and the other is 213mb.

Reply 1 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You shouldn't have to clone. Connect a CF card as a second hard drive and use XCOPY with appropriate flags to copy all hidden and system files. Then remove the original drive and, with a DOS boot disc, do FDISK /MBR and SYS C: to make it bootable.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 7, by adolobe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not familiar with XCOPY, I grew up with Windows 95 so DOS is fairly new to me. What would the appropriate flags be?

google i came up with a couple different variations which basically have me mixed up

XCOPY C:*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r
XCOPY C:\ /c/e/f/h/r/s

Then this site gives info for under Windows 95/95
http://www.icompute.info/xcopy_drive_copy.htm

would it be the same under standard DOS 6.0?

Reply 3 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can just type XCOPY /? and it will display all commands. Or type HELP and then choose Xcopy. This is with DOS 6.22.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dos/Win3.x is really basic file permission wise.
1. Plug in your new hard drive (CF is probably easier) as a 2nd hard drive
2. Copy the system files over by typing sys c: d: (or whatever drive letter the new dive is)
3. Copy the rest of the files over in whichever way your most comfortable just as long as your not in Win3.x. You can plug the drives into a more modern PC if you want a GUI, or dos on the actual PC
4. Finally make the new drive the primary and boot. Dos/windows isn't smart enough to know its on a different drive.

XCopy is nice as it will automatically create folders, sub folders, etc. But if it was me I would have a play installing everything from scratch on the CF/SD card. It's quite easy really and you can always fall back on the old hard drive if you get stuck or missing something. Config.sys and Autoexec.bat is the main things you want to make a record of as this changes from PC config to PC config

Reply 6 of 7, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectricMonk wrote:

I don't remember the name of it, but I used a Unix disk clone tool back in late '99 to do just what you're talking about.

Surely you mean dd?
Its still around.

But as said above DOS doesn't need it. A simple copy and boot record repair is all that is needed

Reply 7 of 7, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yup, DD was it. We used it, since we needed a bit for bit clone. We were using Linux, not DOS, so that's what we decided upon.

I've also used imageblaster, and few other tools, but those are overkill for what subby is trying to do.