VOGONS

My vote for best DOS video card

Topic actions

First post, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know... there is no 'best' anything but here goes and why. I would love to hear your thoughts or reasons for another card or to just vote for this card too.

Requirements:
1: DOS only, don't care about Windows, DirectX, etc.
2: 2D only, do not care about 3D, Glide, OpenGL, or other/proprietary API's.
3: Compatibility, compatibility, compatibility!!! Preferably without tools that need to be used for different games. Becomes a pain in the arse quickly!

Ok. Here is my vote

S3 Trio64V+ (86C765)

Have a look at http://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/ and you can see it is compatible across the board with one notable exception, Duke Nukem 3D @ 1024x768. I wouldn't play at that resolution anyway.
It doesn't need any tools other than S3VBE or S3Refresh and it is 100% compatible with both.

Now after saying all that I have a good question for you. I seem to remember that Number Nine built some of the highest quality graphics cards back in the 90's. I found these cards on ebay and I am curious what you think compared to another maker with a S3 Trio64V+? If my memory about Number Nine is correct, then it seems this would be a great card and at a fair price. It has four memory chips soldered to the board so I assume it is already at maximum capacity for RAM. Some of the others are ridiculously high.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121330329486?ssPageNa … 984.m1423.l2649

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 66, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The last video card I used exclusively for MS-DOS 6.22 was based off the Tseng Labs ET4000/w32 (which made it windows acceleration capable). I forget who manufactured the board (I ordered it from Chip 'n Bits way back in the day), but it served me well in DOS games back in the 486DX4 era.

Reply 2 of 66, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Old s3 cards are very nice , also my vgas of choice in older systems.
For my p1 build I went with the speedy riva128zx , haven't had any serious problems with it over the years I am using the machine 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 66, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

Old s3 cards are very nice , also my vgas of choice in older systems.
For my p1 build I went with the speedy riva128zx , haven't had any serious problems with it over the years I am using the machine 😊

I had one of those in my old P2-300 machine. DirectX games worked great, but the OpenGL drivers were broken, and some games displayed crazy dithering. In hindsight, I really wish I'd gone with a good 2D card and a pair of Voodoo2s.

Reply 4 of 66, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Riva128 was fine for the time. The crazy dithering is all blending artifacts with the lightmaps and such, it's totally great in vertex lit games (psx/n64/dc crossports which made up a lot of the 98/99 releases) and it also works with the PowerVR PCX2. but i can't see how its opengl/direct3d shortcomings are relevant to a DOS VIDEO CARD thread

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 66, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Riva128 was fine for the time. The crazy dithering is all blending artifacts with the lightmaps and such, it's totally great in vertex lit games (psx/n64/dc crossports which made up a lot of the 98/99 releases) and it also works with the PowerVR PCX2. but i can't see how its opengl/direct3d shortcomings are relevant to a DOS VIDEO CARD thread

I was just mentioning the issues I saw with the Riva128, since it came out during the Win98 hey-day, and I didn't use it in DOS mode. I only brought it up, since keropi did first.

In case you missed it, I DID recommend the video card I used exclusively for DOS.

Are you just following me around in threads today, trying to bust my balls, or something?

Reply 7 of 66, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I should also mention that I am using a 15" LCD monitor, the main reason the Voodoo 3 is out for me.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 8 of 66, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using an ATI Mach64VT (1). 'tis quite compatable me thinks. I've never had issues with it. It has a good win3 driver though. Allowing me 32k colours @ 1024x786

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 9 of 66, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:
ISA: Cirrus Logic 5429 Tseng ET4000AX […]
Show full quote

ISA:
Cirrus Logic 5429
Tseng ET4000AX

VLB:
Tseng ET4000/w32

PCI:
S3 Trio64V
Voodoo Banshee
Voodoo 3

AGP:
Voodoo 3

^^ I really like that list 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 66, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to say either ET4000 or Matrox G200/Mystique are my favourites.

ElectricMonk wrote:

Are you just following me around in threads today, trying to bust my balls, or something?

Your not special. Normal attitude.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 11 of 66, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have had good experience with the PCI-RIVA TNT I am using on my P233 rig.
Doesn't suffer the flickering issue VB\V3's do in some VGA games on LCD displays.
Has win 3.x drivers too.

I have had little issues with PCI S3 trio\S3Virge too in other machines.

Reply 12 of 66, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ from what I know, the riva128/tnt/tnt2 all share the same vga core , all the extra features of the tnt line are for 3D .
I have tested a TNT and a TNT2 Ultra on my p1 build , DOS performance is the same with all 3 cards.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 66, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

^^ I really like that list 😀

There are probably a few others that could make the list, but these were the first that crossed my mind immediately.

Reply 14 of 66, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Didn't someone here work out that the ARK 1000PV was a better DOS card than the S3's?

Edit: No, it was the ARK 2000: Ark Logic PCI, an interesting VGA card.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 15 of 66, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ARK2000PV looks a hair less compatible according to chart http://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/ and I was able to get three S3 Trio64+ cards for the cost of one ARK2000PV card.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 16 of 66, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ARK1000 and ARK2000 should use identical 2D cores. Performance and compatibility of both should be identical.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 18 of 66, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AidanExamineer wrote:

Any experience with the onboard S3 Trio64 from older Optiplex GXis?

Funny you should mention that; I trashpicked a GXi last week but I haven't had any real opportunity to try out games on it yet.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 19 of 66, by RAMChYLD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Currently using a SiS 6326 AGP card on my build. Works fine, has Windows 3.1 support with full acceleration. Even has hardware VESA 2 support out of the box. The only issue with it is of course it doesn't support GLide which is needed for some 3D games in DOS (it's advertised as a 3D accelerator, but I assume it meant Direct3D/OpenGL which is useless in Dos/Win3.x).

HEC Desktop case with 600w Silverstone PSU
Intel 440BX chipset motherboard, 2xISA slot
PIII 550MHz Slot-1
256MB PC-100 SDRAM (4x64MB)
SiS 6326 4MB graphics card
Gravis Ultrasound PnP [8MB] + Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Value