VOGONS

First post, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am refurbing a Packard Bell Platinum Pro 650, P54C 166-MHz tower right now and it actually has 256k L2 cache installed and a S3 Virge with 2MB RAM. I think it will be totally retro, anyone else like these?

The motherboard was sooooo dirty. It got a warm water shower and I used a clean paint brush to get the crud off. Then a denatured alcohol bath followed by compressed air and finally a heat gun on low.

I even found the latest BIOS update for the board tonight. Several more days worth of work but it is going to look nice.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 31, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was a Packard Bell that first taught me that not every computer found in a thrift store is worth having. 😀

Pics pls! I can google images, but that's not as good as you showing your new toy directly. Do share.

Reply 2 of 31, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The various Packard Bells that I've had over the years seemed to work pretty well. So yeah, I've got a little bit of fondness for Packard Bells. 😀 Bear in mind that PB had one of the highest DOA averages during the 90's, though I guess most of the true duds have passed on since then.

This reminds me, I've got a Packard Bell Legend 300CD sitting in storage right now. IIRC, the specs are

Pentium 60MHz
24MB RAM
420MB Seagate HDD
Cirrus Logic graphics
Typical PB sound/modem combo card
DOS 6.22 / WfW 3.11

Might have to pull that thing out of storage and show it off. I even have its matching monitor, with speakers still attached.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 3 of 31, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I admit I have a soft spot for them. I really like the oddball cases on some models but there system for naming models and what not was very inconsistent. I probably own 5 or 6 different PB's. my main 8088 system is a tricked out Packard Bell 500. it actually makes a really nice old school 8088 system for CGA stuff and its very compact case with built in floppy controller so you have all 5 ISA slots free. the only thing I can say negative about it is you cant disable the on board floppy controller but that's a very minor gripe.

Reply 5 of 31, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dealt with lots of PB's back in the day. Contrary to what I've always heard (even then), I never found them all that unreliable. Quite the opposite actually. They were however often bizarrely proprietary which was a pain in the ass to deal with.

Reply 6 of 31, by Holering

User metadata

I can't say I like them. The only stuff I actually seem to like is OEM stuff that only exists on pre-built PCs or bought from the same company seperately. For example, there are some fancy 5.25" media control units for ESS sound cards and other very rare items that was never sold seperately (and most folks probably never seen or heard of it). Stuff like this was usually sold to the original purchaser of the PC via private catalog (or maybe a personal order with a store like Radio Shack), and is really uncommon and hard to find, but when found is usually cheap despite the high quality and obscurity and can usually be used with consumer hardware. It is unlikely this OEM proprietary hardware was ever seen by anyone but the original purchaser.

There is certainly nothing wrong with a Packard Bell like yours for retro purposes (unless you can't disable cache or change multiplier. But still). I find it amazing it has an S3 card (that is the best DOS card according to some sources). I see a lot more stuff wrong with a custom 440bx with a pentium 3 and geforce 4 or something like that which a lot of folks here seem to like. You could probably add a voodoo 1 or 2.

Congratulations on appreciating the machine (Packard Bell Pro)! Cheers!

Reply 7 of 31, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had 2 Packard Bell computers in the 90s.

Here are some PB sites from archive.org which may interest you:
https://web.archive.org/web/20000303155634/ht … packardbell.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/20010420114108/ht … oads/index.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20000608134250/ht … 8774/index.html

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 8 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like some of their old boards ((super) socket 7 comes to mind)), though I don't like their cases.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 31, by miljo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember the stigma of these machines, even though I never knew anyone who owned one. Although I always liked the phase-shifting-dude logo. I'd love to know the story behind this.

[img]http://synthetica_media.s3.amazonaws.com/images/packard_bell_logo.png[/img]

Reply 11 of 31, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They are usually extremely stable and dependable machines. I do remember that their performance was sub-par though. But for many stability and ease of use (excellent documentation / lots of utilities factory loaded) outweighed performance but the hassle of self built machines.

Reply 12 of 31, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will try to get some pics of the entire computer soon. I already had it disassembled for cleaning. I never owned one and I remember poking fun at anyone that bought one because most of them didn't have any cache and were poor performers. It seems some of them do have cache and it seems the motherboard is LPX form factor and although kind of odd not proprietary. It also seems this motherboard was built by intel and is one of their Orlando series. I can't find anything wrong with the design other than I don't like the modem/sound card combo and I will not be using its TV capture card. I wonder which models had high DOA rates and why? If they all used Intel boards, i have no idea if they did, that would not have been the issue. Perhaps subpar power supplies? That's where a lot of cheap machines skimp. Hopefully I have enough time today to finish cleaning the chassis, clean the panels and get the motherboard back in. Still have to test and clean other hardware.

Here a few pics. Maybe I did the inline thing right now?

Bare chassis - almost clean

file.php?id=15731

Motherboard - cleaned except for external connectors

file.php?id=15756

Attachments

• Filename
    PackardBellMB.JPG
    File size
    2.89 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Windows 98 SE

Reply 13 of 31, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 14 of 31, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to sell Packard Bell machines in a department store back in '95/'96. I never felt there was much to love, as they were low spec entry level units (Oz undoubtedly didn't get the full PB range) OTOH, they didn't seem to have high failure rates back then. I had much more love for Gateway 2000 and Dell, which were always better value, better specced and more expandable.

Reply 15 of 31, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's an Intel NV430VX. I found the same motherboard in a Packard Bell a few years ago. It's the only Packard Bell I've ever had, I didn't see anything at all wrong with it. Seemed like a high quality machine, actually.
I'm comparing photos, and I see that yours has more ICs installed on the motherboard than mine. I guess those are for the TV tuner that you mentioned, mine didn't have that.
Mine has the 9pin connector that yours is missing, which I guess is a serial port. But mine lacks the 2 connectors underneath that.

Reply 16 of 31, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

We had a pair of Packard Bells with monochrome graphics in the math class in middle/high school. They were pretty much used solely for a port of space war, and moon lander.

We had waaaay more fun with the Apple IIs in middle school. Especially Oregon Trail.

WkFr7sQ.jpg

Reply 17 of 31, by mrferg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently picked up a Packard Bell Pack-Mate X-18 386sx-16, and for what it is it's pretty nice. I like the fact that it's got both PS/2 mouse and keyboard connections, plus it came with a 387, though I doubt I'll need it. Everything on it just works, even the onboard battery still holds a charge, but I quickly removed it anyways as a precaution. Being 23 years old it's in amazingly good shape, I'm just not sure how often I'll use it. Overall I'm impressed with Packard Bells, of this generation at least. I remember some friends in the 90's had Pentiums and no end of problems.

PacBell 386sx
Gateway 2k P75
HP Pav 7360 MMX200
SE440BX-2, P2 450
3 Modernish Dell Precisions

Reply 18 of 31, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What many Americans don't know is the brand "Packard Bell" was resurrected in the United Kingdom and Europe in the mid 2000's to sell PCs.

You could argue it never really died. First it was bought by... either Fujitsu or Samsung I think, then later part of the Acer brands.

http://www.packardbell.co.uk/
http://www.packardbell.com/

http://web.archive.org/web/20050401000000*/ht … ckardbell.co.uk gives a good summary. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 19 of 31, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Harekiet wrote:

Packard Bell Legend 80386 SX-25MHZ, still working fine.

My Legend SX-16Mhz is golden too!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg