VOGONS

First post, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't seem to find any passthrough cables on eBay, or anywhere else for that matter.

The closest I found is a Startech "port saver" cable, that's basically a short length of VGA extension. It has the necessary male -> female, but it has female tightening screws on the female end, which means you can't connect it to the male output on a VooDoo card. They don't come out, and can't really be pried. I might be able to drill them out.

Is it safe/acceptable to just use the cable with the metal shield removed?

Reply 1 of 19, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You don't need to attach the screws for things to work, but alternately you can get "adapters" that will let cables screw-in on both sides, and just use a male/male cable (you want a female/female adapter). Like this thing: http://www.amazon.com/SVGA-Gender-Changer-Ada … /dp/B000V1PAWQ/

And then a short male/male cable: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Monitor-ferri … /dp/B004C4XIOK/

Reply 2 of 19, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The screw posts are actually physically in the way, and the cable can't be connected as is. I could rip the metal shield off in order to use it, but that sounds risky.

I've got a few of those gender changers around, and I can find or order a short M-M cable. Didn't want to use a longer one and potentially introduce more distortion.

Reply 3 of 19, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AidanExamineer wrote:

The screw posts are actually physically in the way, and the cable can't be connected as is. I could rip the metal shield off in order to use it, but that sounds risky.

I've got a few of those gender changers around, and I can find or order a short M-M cable. Didn't want to use a longer one and potentially introduce more distortion.

The posts on the card should unscrew if you need clearance there - you may need pliers to get them started, but otherwise they'll just unscrew. I've done this on my Voodoo2 to hook up to the DMS-59->VGA cable on my Radeon VE in the past. It isn't the most secure thing in the world, but it works.

Alternately, found this on ebay while looking up something else:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271603678897

Reply 4 of 19, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah just found that listing. Last one. From China. Rock and roll. 😁

I was worried once the posts on the cards were unscrewed the D-sub socket would come loose, but the VooDoo isn't built like that. So, s'all good. 😀

Reply 5 of 19, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't you simply just use a regular VGA cable? I literally know nothing about voodoo, and as I new owner of one I'm a bit curious about how to use it.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 6 of 19, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's a male d-sub on the VooDoo, which needs to be connected to the female d-sub on your 2D graphics card. And then there's a standard female d-sub on the VooDoo as well that connects to your monitor like any other card.

So you need a male-female cable, and the shorter the better, so as not to introduce any signal loss.

Reply 7 of 19, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm well I have some of those from an old KVM switch but they are on the longish side. Should do the trick though, what happens when you have signal loss?

Reply 8 of 19, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AidanExamineer wrote:

Yeah just found that listing. Last one. From China. Rock and roll. 😁

😎

I was worried once the posts on the cards were unscrewed the D-sub socket would come loose, but the VooDoo isn't built like that. So, s'all good. 😀

No the connector isn't anchored with the posts - it's separately anchored. The posts serve to anchor the slot-shield to the board itself; on the Voodoo cards you have two VGA connectors so pulling the posts on one of them won't make that thing fall off. The VGA connectors can actually exist without that shield installed at all, but the card won't sit securely in the case (because there's nothing to attach it to beyond being in the PCI slot).

King_Corduroy wrote:

Can't you simply just use a regular VGA cable? I literally know nothing about voodoo, and as I new owner of one I'm a bit curious about how to use it.

Voodoo and Voodoo2 take a VGA connection from whatever provides 2D, so you take VGA out on the 2D card and feed that to the VGA in on the 3dfx card. That cable needs to be male to female (because all graphics cards will have a female connector for their VGA output, and the Voodoo has a male input connector (to differentiate it from the output afaik)). Then you need to connect your monitor, or whatever, to the Voodoo's output to get both 2D and 3D images.

The pass-through cable is that male to female part. The Voodoo card is designed with posts to screw-in the VGA connector (just like the output connector on the Cirrus, or whatever), to allow the cable to be securely attached to both sides (the ebay link actually shows the kind of cable that would've come with a 3dfx card when it was new).

Generally "regular VGA cable" is male to male, like what most LCDs include to hook up to their female VGA inputs. That can't be plugged into the 3dfx card's input. VGA extension cables, which are male to female, and designed to go between a VGA output (like from your graphics card) and some other VGA cable (like the male end of a monitor's captive input cable) can work, and I've used a 6 ft model for testing my Voodoo2 without any problems. But having a 6 ft loop of thick cable hanging off the back of your computer isn't the most ergonomic thing in the world.

Reply 9 of 19, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok cool! So all systems go 🤣 I should be able to get this thing rocking tomorrow.

Reply 10 of 19, by joacim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought one of those startech port saver cables. I ripped out the screw posts from the cable itself and gave it the fastening screws from one of my older cables. The posts are pretty soft, so they should come out easily. Just have to be careful when you rip the posts out. It is easy to bend the metal shielding plate.

Reply 12 of 19, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got three original passthrough cables and one 1.8m VGA extension cable I use to protect the cable of my CRT from regular bending. The extension is just as good as the original cables, it's longer yet better shielded. It has male screws on both sides. The extension cables are sold in most computer stores and even some huge supermarkets.

Reply 13 of 19, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not cheap but it's new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3DFX-VOODOO1-VOODOO2- … e-/271626007732?

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 14 of 19, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
squareguy wrote:

I actually bought this exact one from that seller for my Voodoo 2 SLI setup. The passthrough cable has no problems and works exactly as it should. (the SLI ribbon looks aged though, compared to the one I got with the cards, but I guess it's nice to have a spare incase something happens)

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 15 of 19, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Agent of the BSoD wrote:
squareguy wrote:

I actually bought this exact one from that seller for my Voodoo 2 SLI setup. The passthrough cable has no problems and works exactly as it should. (the SLI ribbon looks aged though, compared to the one I got with the cards, but I guess it's nice to have a spare incase something happens)

It's fairly easy to craft 😉

Reply 16 of 19, by assasincz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ordered this one few days ago, hope it will work. Ebay says they are 7pcs available
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https … %2F293062566981

Update 2019-05-12
So the cable arrived and it works perfectly, its good quality , so I think its a good deal, especially for the price, there are still few in stock.

20190510_194450.jpg
Filename
20190510_194450.jpg
File size
884.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by assasincz on 2019-05-12, 16:31. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 17 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can always use a regular monitor cable and a DB-F-f gender changer.

That UK seller looks good though, also fairly good overseas shipping to me, I may grab 2.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 18 of 19, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought two of these off of Amazon and I've tried them - perfect. They're the same length as the above cables, the correct genders on both ends, and the correct screws on both ends. No more gender-change adapters, no more 16-feet of looped cable on the back, no more Y-splitter cables, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJRRY9M/ … 1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 19 of 19, by assasincz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Keeping the topic alive, this, this or this cable(s) off Ebay could do the trick,
Although from picture quite thin, no ferrites, so lower quality option(s)
This one looks a bit higher quality, although quite long, could be a good option

For future reference