VOGONS

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just bought a 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16MB on EBay for 30 dollars. Did I get a good deal, or at least a decent deal?

Reply 3 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes.

but please be aware that your Pentium IV system may not work with it due to strict AGP voltage in all those P4 mobos. If your motherboard doesn't do AGP 3.3v, don't bother with any Voodoo that's Banshee or later.

though you could probably try to hunt the PCI version (good luck with that)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 15, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote:

My motherboard supports both AGP 2x and 4x, does this make a difference?
EDIT: The card is AGP x2 so wouldn't it work?

The board has to support 3.3V AGP in order for the card to work. Look at how the card is keyed - does that match with your board? If it will not physically fit, it isn't supported; if it physically fits, it should work. (If there's no keying at all on your motherboard it means its a universal AGP slot, and you should be able to go wild)

Reply 7 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

My motherboard supports both AGP 2x and 4x, does this make a difference?
EDIT: The card is AGP x2 so wouldn't it work?

The board has to support 3.3V AGP in order for the card to work. Look at how the card is keyed - does that match with your board? If it will not physically fit, it isn't supported; if it physically fits, it should work. (If there's no keying at all on your motherboard it means its a universal AGP slot, and you should be able to go wild)

I thought many P4 motherboards didn't support the 3.3v cards even though they seemed to have a universal AGP slot? I could be wrong though, but better being careful unnecessarily then being quick and frying something 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 15, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's too bad. That P4 is simply too new. The 3dfx Voodoo 4 4500 AGP is the only AGP Voodoo that would work in that board. But it's not really any better but a lot more expensive because it's rarer.

A good Slot 1 motherboard with Intel BX440 chipset is what you want to have in companion with a Voodoo 3.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 11 of 15, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why is that? I thought if the card itself had the notches for both types of voltages, it could run at either? Is it that the card itself is incorrectly notched?

EDIT: I see now that the picture is not of the voodoo

Last edited by Thraka on 2014-10-08, 21:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 15, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That card is not the voodoo

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1