How to install Windows 98SE on a modern PC

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: How to install Windows 98SE on a modern PC

Postby Qjimbo » 2017-11-28 @ 21:42

Excellent Guide, thank you. I will be using this on my XP/98SE dual boot PC.
Qjimbo

Postby gdjacobs » 2017-11-29 @ 03:11

oeuvre wrote:Not to be a debbie downer but really why would anyone waste time installing 9x on anything newer than Core 2 Duo (and even for that I find questionable). You have to use 10+ year old GPUs and sound cards to make it work, even if you have a board with enough PCI slots for that. Then you run across SATA and chipset issues, potential HT issues as mentioned before. Not to mention a modern machine would much better off running something it was designed for or newer than being limited in usability by a nearly 20 year old operating system. Don't get me wrong, I do love me some Windows 98 but stick with Pentium 4 or older for that. Or use a VM or 86box, etc.

I'm installing on an AM2 board because...
1) I would like the capability of easy and straightforward downclocking via multiplier manipulation
2) I want a little more top end performance over an Athlon XP for things like nglide
3) I want to test compatibility with late DOS titles and PCI sound cards
4) I don't have a S939 or S754 board and CPU on hand, and I would prefer not to buy one unless I must
gdjacobs
l33t++

Postby Qjimbo » 2017-11-29 @ 04:22

Yep, for me my interest is creating that Windows 98 dream machine. Remember how fast computers were becoming obsolete in the 90s? Well now using cheap parts you can build the ultimate Windows 98 compatible computer. It was the beacon of the golden age of multimedia CD-ROMs, the early days of the www, awesome 90s PC games.
Qjimbo

Previous

Return to General Old Hardware