VOGONS

First post, by Aldeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I'd like to know how old joysticks behave on XP SP3. note that motherboard is AM2/AM3, with an AMD X2

First i need to decide whether to buy a gameport sound card or a usb to gameport converter. which is preferred? i heard that usb converters might make you lose throttle functionality

also, does xp have a solid database for old joysticks or do you still need the original drivers? When i say old joysticks, i'm talking about mid 90s to late 90s joysticks designed for win 9X. I'm guessing all of the sidewinder joysticks are easily compatible? is there any sort of emulation software needed for old joysticks?

side subject. is the standard sidewinder ok for arcade flight sims (as far as dead zone, throttle control)? referring to this one http://img28.olx.ro/images_mercadorro/3649075 … uri-orastie.jpg

this is just simple a curiosity. thanks everyone!

Reply 1 of 6, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My experiences with the Sidewinder 3d Pro:

I had difficulty getting the stick recognized as a Sidewinder in XP when connected to the motherboard Game Port connector. Connecting it to a Creative Audigy card solved the probem. External drivers were not necessary.

Alternatively, setting it to analog mode (switch at bottom) would make it emulate a Thrustmaster FCS or CH Flightstick Pro, giving you almost full functionality (the four base buttons still wouldn't work).

I have no experience with the standard Sidewinder, but it appears to be missing the hatswitch and a lot of buttons. You'll miss those, particularly the two additional fire buttons.

I didn't try a USB/Game Port adaptor with XP, but the green 'Rockfire' model works well in Windows 7 Professional. It gives you the same functionality as the Game Port FCS/Flightstick emulation mode (ie. still no base buttons.) Throttle works fine.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 2 of 6, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't vouch for the SideWinder Standard, I've never had one. Wouldn't really want to bother with hunting one down, either, considering how basic it is, but if you've already got it, might as well use it.

However, I CAN say that my Pentium 4 EE 3.2 box refuses to properly detect my SideWinder 3D Pro in digital mode on both my AWE64 Gold and my Turtle Beach Montego II gameports in XP and 98SE. It's apparently really finicky with fast FSB systems to the point that someone had to code a custom 9x driver set with tweaked timings (which didn't work for me, regrettably).

As mentioned above, you can use it in the TM FCS or CH Flightstick Pro analog emulation modes just fine, but it's less desirable to do so because you lose the ability to use the four base buttons and you either can't hold down simultaneous stick buttons due to the hat switch being chorded button inputs (CH FS Pro) or have to give up the throttle axis for the hat switch (TM FCS).

Most gameport-era sticks do not need custom drivers for XP; they're usually built into XP itself, covering any basic analog gameport joystick (4-axis, 4-button interface) and all the digital interface Microsoft and Logitech sticks.

However, you may not get full functionality with those drivers, like how I can't enable a gameport rudder for my Logitech WingMan Interceptor sticks under XP (and it needs one badly because the stick doesn't twist) or how these beta Mad Catz Panther XL 2000/XP drivers I found don't properly utilize the rudder pedal port, instead mapping the rudder axis to the trackball.

Also, for old Thrustmaster and CH Products HOTAS hardware that depends heavily on keyboard emulation alongside the basic analog gameport interface, you can't program it through XP. Gotta boot to DOS or 9x first before you can upload a new profile. The same might also apply to the Gravis Phoenix, but I'm not entirely certain there.

By the way, I wouldn't trust gameport-to-USB adapters too much unless you're very specifically using an analog gameport interface stick. If you have a SideWinder 3D Pro, Precision Pro or later (basically anything BUT the Standard), you'll want a 3DP-Vert adapter. Logitech ADI sticks (like the WingMan Interceptor) may be left out in the cold, unfortunately.