VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

I've been re-visiting GODS and re-discovered 🤣 that the SB music only sounds correct when the soundblaster is set to IRQ7, else you get mixed samples out of place that get cut off.
Naturally I tried disabling cpu caches , didn't help. So I just kept trying solutions and discovered these facts on my SB16 setup that uses IRQ5:

a. if I use the sb-init program to set the 8bit IRQ to 7 (after booting to my default setting that is 5) the music sounds correct, as expected. If you run the game once with IRQ5 and then run the sb-init program to get back to the irq5 then the game will keep working fine until next reboot. Basically boot with IRQ5, init to IRQ7 and run the game , init back to IRQ5 and the game still works fine.

b. if you boot to a config that has EMM386 loaded then music will sound correct , no matter if IRQ5 or 7 is set.

So there must be some sort of bug in the game's SB init code? I did try to consume almost all of my XMS to a ramdisk and leave ~10mb free under the first 16MB of ram in hopes that it will fix it like other games that have DMA issues but no luck.
Anyone has any idea of what to try next? Obviously booting to an EMM386 configuration is a workaround but I would really be interested in a fix/workaround that would just patch the issue without EMS...
TIA for any thoughts on this!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also discovered this a while ago: GODS Intro Music - Sound card roundup

I haven't ran into m(any) other games that need IRQ7, at least I can't remember, but I'm sure there are more.

Great find on using EMM386.EXE. This is the easiest workaround for me 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep, I did find your topic Phil but decided not to bump it since yours was about music comparison 😀
I also noticed that the menu is quite speedy, a slight tap on the arrow keys make it go from the 1st option to the 3rd almost instantly ... the game itself is a gem , so many secrets to discover and puzzles to solve! 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dacow wrote:

I'm with Phil, I found it hard too. Is it easier if you have a joystick or joypad?

Maybe, I don't have either, just the keyboard.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am playing it on the amiga with a pad and on the pc with keyboard, it feels the same to me. The game is trial-and-error based IMHO, you just progress a little more each time. It's not your standard platformer plus you need to think over how to get all items, bonuses, open doors, access places in the levels...
I didn't like it at first as well, never played it back in the day but now I see the game is very very good!