VOGONS

First post, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Web-searching for this is infuriating me (all results are warez/nonsense/etc and there are (literally) billions of them), so I'm asking here in the hope that a human being can actually interpret this question:

I'm trying to install Win98SE, I've got the disc in the drive (!!!), and when it gets to formatting the hard-disk it insists that I need to insert the Win98 CD-ROM into the drive (you know, the disc that's already in the drive). Of course removing the disc, changing discs, etc it doesn't care it's locked in a loop of beeping and fail. I've already partitioned the drives for it, and the drives do work, so whats the problem?

Drives are both 40GB, the primary is part'd 6+18+12, the secondary is part'd 18+18, all FAT32 LBA. When I let it (98 CDROM) configure/part/etc it seemed to have issues. Can it really just not handle the ocean of size that is 40GB? (I thought the LBA limit was more like 137GB).

For extra style points on Win98's part (you know, because it's such a paragon of consistency, stability, and reliability): I used this same disc not but two days ago to install the same OS on the same machine on a different disk. 😵

Reply 1 of 4, by Machine_1760

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem is that you've not yet formatted your drives after partitioning them.

I've had this issue before when there are more than two physical (IDE) drives to be formatted.

Try Microsoft support archives for odd issues like this, they generally have the issue covered.

"Repeatedly Prompted for Disk During Windows 98 Setup"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/190984

Reply 3 of 4, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With Win 9x I usually just copied the installer files to C:\WIN98 and ran the install there. Installs quicker and no need to find the CD when adding OS options.

Reply 4 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've sometimes had the CD-ROM requested while the CD-ROM device hadn't been installed by the Windows setup at that point, often when opting for hardware detection in those two checkboxes in the middle of those setup screens. Hard drives are partitioned and formatted.

apsosig.png
long live PCem