VOGONS

First post, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, starting to save up for the next faze of my system build. Came across something interesting during my search for the final pieces, and the Voodoo 3 actually does have Windows 3.1 drivers. Having read in many places that it did not is one of the reasons I was set on the Voodoo 2 SLI build I have now. This caused me to research it some more, and came across some interesting reads and was hoping someone here actually had some experience with some of this.

1) I have a Gigabyte GA-6BXC MB, but it is only rev 1.9 (it does have the same voltage regulator as the v 2.0 - so it can still lower the CPU voltage for the 1.4G processor.) However, it does "not" have the Voodoo 3 dip switch setting for AGP. So, if I were to install a V3 3500 (one actually popped up that has me interested,) would my MB have problems with it? Some sites I've read say "no" but most say "yes". Was hoping someone had some direct experience with it to advise me.

2) Assuming I wouldn't have problems, what would be the effect of having the V3 with the V2 SLI installed. I'm not so much worried about DOS games as I am with Windows games. What I've read centers around DOS games (unless I'm totally misreading the posts - which is certainly possible.) Two of the main games I'm eventually going to install are Thief & Thief 2. I absolutely loved the visuals on my single Voodoo 2, but they bogged down on some missions. Was really looking forward to playing it again with the SLI & a faster system (still haven't found those CD's.) How will the Windows 98 drivers themselves function with 2 different Voodoo models installed?

3) During my research, I actually came across a comment about someone building a system with a V3 AGP, V2 SLI PCI, "AND" a V1 installed. The concept of that, admittedly, blew my mind for a moment. If another question (below,) pans out, I would actually have another free PCI slot (and assuming questions 1 & 2 don't blow this out of the water,) was actually playing around with that idea 😈 (imagine hand washing and evil laughter at this point.) Is that really doable?? Any guides, advice, pictures, world ending evil design specs?????

4) As I expected, with my faster system, my joystick does have problems with certain games. The ISA delay setting in BIOS isn't enough. So, I've been looking for a Thrustmaster ACM card (the only card of this type I, personally, know about.) The problem is that the only ones I've found for sale for the past month no longer have the control dial. I have been unable to get the design specs. I even asked Thrustmaster for them. They, of course, don't have replacements available. They also don't have the designs available any more. Though they did say I could feel free to get someone else to examine theirs and reverse engineer it so I can build a replacement. But, nobody seems to have one to examine for me (I asked in another thread.)

During my search, I read that, unlike my AWE32, the AWE64 does not have this issue. So, I've been looking at those. Deciding that a MT-32 (old), a CM-32L (eventually,) and the SCB-55 on my MPU-401AT should be plenty of choices for MIDI, and I could deal with losing the daughterboard option on my AWE32. If it's true about the AWE64, for a 800Mhz system (maybe 1.4Ghz eventually,) then I would actually be freeing up an ISA slot. I've been saving the slot for the ACM card. That would allow me to use it as a PCI (it's a shared slot,) slot for the evil plans in question 3 above (more evil laughter here.)

The first problem, of course, is... Is it actually true that the AWE64's joystick port handles faster systems just fine? I can't seem to find a common consensus on that. Though most of what I've read supports it. If this isn't true, then I'm left with going back to finding a Thrustmaster ACM that includes the dial (and my evil plans will be thwarted.)

The other option, failing finding a dial or the specs, would be to look into a PCI AWE64 with its SB-Link connector. The main problem with that, is that I can only find the AWE64D version, so far. And those don't appear to have the RAM expansion ports. The entire purpose of the AWE is the soundfont wavetable functionality 🙁. I'm guessing that it's possible that the PCI version (with the faster buss speed,) could use system RAM for soundfonts, though I'm not sure how that would work.

The final option here would be to get some other PCI sound card (or ISA one I guess, though I couldn't find any that I believe might eliminate the joystick speed issue,) that I could install "just" for the joystick port. Disable the one on my AWE32, disable the audio on the PCI sound card, and keep my fingers crossed. Would hate to do that. The idea of installing a card in which 90% of it's functionality is wasted just rubs me the wrong way. I could do it, but it would bother me 🙁 This would also thwart the evil question 3 plans above.

The second problem is, to expand the memory, I would need to use the SIMMConn (the Creative RAM expansions seem to be EXTREMELY rare.) This appears to make things a little tight. With "all" the slots populated with full height cards (even my NIC is full height,) The SIMM stick sticking straight out like that might not work 🙁 Anyone have any experience with a SIMMConn in a fully populated system?

With the possibility of installing a Slotket board with a 1.4Ghz processor. Also, maybe (and that's a very big "maybe" there,) maxing out the RAM (just to max out the functionality of the board, and only if Win98SE won't throw a hissy over it.) And finally getting that CM-32L I've been searching/saving for. That would complete my build once and for all.

The rest would be what I refer to as "tweak" changes. Getting a replacement joystick, for example. This one works, but it's old. The pots are "dusty". I expect the springs will eventually go out. Also I've been toying with swapping the CD-ROM for a DVD-ROM. That sort of changes. Nothing that would effect the overall functionality greatly.

Any advice (and I'm sorry about the small novel above,) would be greatly appreciated 😀 I'll also admit that the idea of 3 generations of Voodoo cards in a system has absolutely set my brain on fire 😈 Though the thought of building such a monster 3dfx system, only to find out that the V3's 2D video capability will destroy playing some of my older CGA/EGA games, does concern me a little bit.... Ah, evil plans are thwarted soooo easily. Which, I guess, is a good thing for the rest of the world...

Feeding Dragon

Reply 1 of 35, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, either nobody knows, or nobody who knows is willing to read my small novel 🙁

I guess I'll break it up into several posts, instead of trying to put everything into a single post....

Feeding Dragon

Reply 2 of 35, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or just build it and find out for yourself 😀

Your questions are very specific so that makes it hard to answer them.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 35, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

Your questions are very specific so that makes it hard to answer them.

I'm on a fixed income ($741 / month.) Even with reduced rent, my disposable income each month is limited. So, I was hoping to avoid buying a bunch of parts that might end up being put in storage for an indefinite period. As for the specificity of my questions, I guess I could simplify them a bit (I hope.)

1) Will the AWE64 fix the joystick polling speed issues on my faster system? The system is currently 800Mhz (the processor that came with a previous failed MB purchase,) but can be upgraded to a max speed of 1.4Ghz (without overclocking.) In both cases the FSB will be 100Mhz, PCI 33Mhz AGP 66Mhz, ISA ??Mhz (Wait state set to 4 in BIOS.) The main culprit right now is "Wing Commander Armada." The calibration works just fine, but once I'm in the game, joystick control fails. I had this problem before (with my 233Mhz machine,) and fixed it with the ACM. But I've since misplaced or lost it. I'm sort of expecting a "no" here, as I cannot seem to find the pages that said the AWE64 had a speed adjusted gameport any more 🙁

2) Will the SIMMConn memory board for the AWE64 block more than one "extra" slot? It turns out that the NIC that I thought was a full height card, isn't. I had tested a modem in the machine a while back (just playing around,) and it was full height. Since I'm not currently connected to a network, I had forgotten to switch it out 🙁.

3) Does anyone know if the AWE64 PCI (my MB has the SB-Link connector,) can have a memory upgrade? Looking at the card images, it doesn't seem to have the connectors for it. On the other hand, it also doesn't appear to have on-board RAM. At least, I can't seem to see any RAM chips on the boards themselves. That being the case, does anyone know if the AWE64 PCI might be using system RAM to store soundfonts?

4) Does anyone know exactly what is going on with Gigabyte 440BX boards and AGP Voodoo 3 cards. From what I've read, they just don't work. But, some sites I've gone too say they work just fine on certain revisions (even those that don't have the Voodoo 3 dip switch settings.) My board doesn't have the dip switch, but it does have the newer voltage regulator. Does anyone know anything about this? This is the only question that seems exceptionally specific to me. And I've pretty much resigned myself to buy & try with it. I'm still hoping someone actually has a similar board and had tried it in the past, but I'm not counting on it.

5) Does anyone have direct experience with multiple Voodoo cards in a system? I've read the other threads, just copy the older Voodoo driver files into the game directory of games that work better on the older Voodoo card. However, most of the games I've played that are Windows only (not DOS,) allow you to select the driver to use in the game. One game in particular listed every 3D capable device I had, even the "duplicates" that one bad driver install gave me on my Voodoo 2 card. I ended up with 3 devices installed for a single Voodoo 2 until I did an OS re-install. Wouldn't it do the same if I installed device drivers individually for each card? Thief (for example,) allowed me to chose between software mode, my ATI Rage II+, and my Voodoo 2 (all 3 of them when my install was bugged.)

6) One site I visited while searching for details on the Voodoo 3 card stated quite clearly that he had installed a Voodoo 1, Voodoo 2 SLI, and Voodoo 3 AGP in a single system. But he didn't provide instructions, and hasn't responded to e-mail requests for instructions 🙁 Does anyone know anything about this? With the large group of vintage tinkerers here, I was hoping that "someone" had tried this setup in the past. I admit that after my extremely poor original judgment on external MIDI devices, I'm a little more open to something like this (and the thought just set my brain on fire.) I probably won't be able to set it up (won't have the PCI slots available,) but if I can swing it, it might be something worth aiming for. Voodoo 1 for those games that just will not work with newer Voodoo cards, Voodoo 2 SLI for the games that will work with it (according to what I've read, it consistently meets or beats the Voodoo 3 card.) The Voodoo 3 card for those games that can use it, and actually work better with it than on the V2-SLI, or just won't work at all on older Voodoo cards (don't know if those exist, but listing the possibility anyways.)

Aside from these, the rest of the post was comments, history, possible future plans, & reasoning. I tend to provide as much specifics as I can about my situation, in the hopes of specific answers. But more general answers are all I'm really expecting. In the past, general answers have usually just flown in. I had also "halfway" asked for Thrustmaster ACM speed dial specs again, along with any other cards people might know of that would accomplish the same thing. But I didn't actually ask those question.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 4 of 35, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never had any AGP issues with 440 BX as long as I kept the AGP clock at 75 MHz or below.
With VIA and SIS chipsets on the other hand...

There is no need for another video card if your primary card is a Voodoo 3, it runs everything from DOS games to year 2000 Windows games.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2014-10-31, 10:07. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FeedingDragon wrote:

Well, either nobody knows, or nobody who knows is willing to read my small novel 🙁

I guess I'll break it up into several posts, instead of trying to put everything into a single post....

I've read all of it, but none of your questions, I know the answer to and financially I'm kinda in a similar boat so I haven't tried any of the more fancy stuff like buying the memory upgrade for the Creative SB64 ISA

About 4, I can only guess it's to do with Voodoo 3 drawing too much power. You can take a chance but there is a chance you may end up frying something (and you might have to find (perhaps buy) replacement parts).
I was once fiddling around with one of the really old boards with crappy AGP slot and ended up putting a TNT2 Vanta in it (that thing doesn't even have a heatsink so my guess was that it was safe to use in such a board).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 35, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FeedingDragon wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

2) Will the SIMMConn memory board for the AWE64 block more than one "extra" slot? It turns out that the NIC that I thought was a full height card, isn't. I had tested a modem in the machine a while back (just playing around,) and it was full height. Since I'm not currently connected to a network, I had forgotten to switch it out 🙁.

Yes, it will block the adjacent slot for a full height card. But a small NIC like a 3com 905 will be fine.

cS6D5m.jpg

By the way, as far as I know, SIMMCONN is only for ISA AWE64s (AWE64, AWE64 Value and AWE64 Gold), not for the PCI one.

And for the curious, it's price is not budget shattering, it's just 15 USD for the card and 7 USD for the international shipment (probably even cheaper for US). Of course you need to have a 72pin SIMM for it, too.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 7 of 35, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks Tayyare. That's what I was looking for 😀 It only blocks a single extra slot. Put the AWE64 in the slot next to where I put My NIC and it should fit just fine. The pic was very helpful, thank you. I did a search for pics, but didn't find any that showed one installed that clearly. 72-Pin SIMMs are rather easy & cheap to get. A single search on eBay garnered me 10+, all below $5 each. I might end up getting an AWE64 without knowing for sure how it will effect my joystick. If it doesn't fix the problem, I won't be out an exceptional amount. Though I would probably wait on the SIMMConn until after I test the joystick port.

That being said, I did find a Thrustmater ACM with the dial for $40 now. I'm fairly sure that will work out for me, though I'd much prefer it if the AWE64 fixed the problem (would leave me a PCI slot to get a Voodoo 1 installed.) I've pretty much decided to not go for the Voodoo 3. $17 for this one that also has TV input was very tempting, but I don't really want to risk the MB that I finally got working right. I don't really need a TV input on my vintage system anyways.

So, I guess the current plan, unless someone speaks up stating they know that the AWE64 still has a problem with joystick polling speeds, is to get an AWE64 and try it out. If it fails, I'll get the ACM and call it quits (all my slots will be full.) If it works, I get the SIMMConn and a SIMM stick, then start looking for a Voodoo 1 card 😀 Though I think I'll hold out for a 8MB version (lots of 4MB versions for sale on eBay.) I'm going to go ahead and keep my NVidia TNT2 (32MB) card. That gives me an alternate 3D engine for Windows 98 games (along with the Voodoo 2 SLI cards.) While I generally prefer ATI over NVidia, ATI never went above 8MB cards with Windows 3.1 support. I've been toying with the idea of trying out a Matrox card (found them up to 32M with Windows 3.1 support as well.) But I'm not sure I'm going to spend the money just to test it out. As long as my TNT2 doesn't give me any problems. Neither the ATI or the TNT2 offer 1366x768 resolution for me anyways (in Windows 98,) I'd be surprised if the Matrox card did.

As for the AWE64, I've found the following models so far: CT4500, CT4520, CT4390, & CT4380. Any suggestion on which on would be the best to try? From what I've been reading, they've all gone away from the true OPL3 chip, which is a minus for me. But as long as the FM synth is still good (will the advanced Adlib tricks work with it,) I can live with that (probably.) I'm also wondering how that would effect my games that "automatically" detect & use the Adlib card (Geisha & Windwalker for examples.) Does it effect the games that (on my faster system,) produce bad adlib output? Most of this I'll discover through testing, I'm sure 😀 As far as best version, I'm looking for functionality/compatibility for the most part. I don't mind the sound quality being lower, if it means greater AdLib compatibility (for example.) I also wouldn't mind getting away from PnP, though from what I'm reading, with the AWE64, I'm sort of stuck with it. I'd prefer not to be forced to find RCA adapters to hook it into my current sound system, and the increased on board memory isn't an issue (with plans to attach a SIMMConn with a 32MB SIMM card sort of makes that redundant.) But if it means better compatibility, more likely to fix the joystick problem, etc... Well, I'll find an adaptor 😀

Feeding Dragon

Reply 8 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The thing is, it usually doesn't stop there and I got other bills to pay 🙁
But at least I got enough stuff laying around to keep me busy for a long time 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 35, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

The thing is, it usually doesn't stop there and I got other bills to pay 🙁
But at least I got enough stuff laying around to keep me busy for a long time 😁

Yes, well... This won't end it for me either 😀 But the rest are all things I pretty much know how will effect things. Upgrading to the Tualatin (sp?) 1.4Ghz processor (will make installing Windows 98 a bit of a hassle in the future.) Maybe (not sure on this part,) maxing the RAM out to 768M - again Windows 98 will be difficult - but doable. For the next piece I might swap the CD-ROM out for a DVD-ROM. That would max the capabilities of this board out. The final item is a CM-32L. Beyond that, I don't really see anything I'll be wanting to get. I might play around with different MIDI devices, but that isn't exactly likely. Then, of course, there are the times where I might have to replace failed pieces.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 10 of 35, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FeedingDragon wrote:

1) I have a Gigabyte GA-6BXC MB, but it is only rev 1.9 (it does have the same voltage regulator as the v 2.0 - so it can still lower the CPU voltage for the 1.4G processor.) However, it does "not" have the Voodoo 3 dip switch setting for AGP. So, if I were to install a V3 3500 (one actually popped up that has me interested,) would my MB have problems with it? Some sites I've read say "no" but most say "yes". Was hoping someone had some direct experience with it to advise me.

GA-6BXC is my favorite mainboard 😀 I have two revision 2.0 examples. Most of the time they have a Voodoo 3 installed. Voodoo jumpers closed of course.

I remember the Voodoo jumpers are there to connect the PSU 3,3 Volt rail to the AGP connector. Without these jumpers the AGP connector gets 3,3 Volt from a small VRM, which is told to be struggle with a Voodoo 3. There is a wire mod for older GA-6BXC boards. I suppose this is it: http://www.plasma-online.de/english/upgrade/t … gabyte_tnt.html

The SMB tool works with this mainboard. It allows one to toggle the FSB speed from the DOS prompt or within Windows 9x. Does 50 to 133MHz in 8 steps 😁. Maybe this could help with the joystick vs system speed issue?

Last edited by gerwin on 2014-11-01, 01:44. Edited 1 time in total.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 11 of 35, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:
GA-6BXC is my favorite mainboard :) I have two revision 2.0 examples. I remember the Voodoo jumpers are there to connect the P […]
Show full quote

GA-6BXC is my favorite mainboard 😀 I have two revision 2.0 examples.
I remember the Voodoo jumpers are there to connect the PSU 3,3 Volt rail to the AGP connector. Without these jumpers the AGP connector gets 3,3 Volt from a small VRM, which is told to be struggle with a Voodoo 3.
There is a wire mod for older GA-6BXC boards. I suppose this is it: http://www.plasma-online.de/english/upgrade/t … gabyte_tnt.html

PS: On this Mainboard: With SMB (http://rayer.g6.cz/programm/programe.htm) you can toggle the FSB speed from the DOS prompt, ranging 50 to 133MHz 😁.

That can actually be handy.... Thanks a lot 😀 I might start reconsidering the Voodoo 3 (just the idea of having 3 generations of Voodoo cards installed in one system just has my brain on fire.) Also, according to the page, the TNT2 card (which is what I have now,) also caused similar problems 🙁 So, I might be altering my MB in the very near future. I haven't noticed a problem, but then I've never pushed the TNT2 card either. While I'll probably be making the alteration in the near future, the Voodoo 3 probably depends on if I will be able to keep that last PCI slot open for a Voodoo 1 😀

Feeding Dragon

Reply 12 of 35, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alternatively, just monitor the temperature of the VRM chip, and maybe glue on a small heatsink. Better then nothing...

Attached is a batch file for SMB, which makes it easier to quickly select the desired FSB speed.

Jumper 4 from SW1 is the i440BX AGP divider. It needs to be 'off' when using higher FSB speeds. Or just leave it off all the time.

Attachments

• Filename
    GaFSB.zip
    File size
    587 Bytes
    Downloads
    55 downloads
    File comment
    Batch file for SMB on GA-6BXC
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 35, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks Gerwin 😀 I might be able to use that to get Armada working... Maybe even a couple of other games that have speed issues. I think I've mentioned somewhere on this board that I don't want to use a fix that requires opening up my case or entering BIOS just for a single game (having to go back in to turn "off" the fix for other games.) But if this will allow me to change things in software, and change them back, it will definitely come in handy.

Still doing searches, but it looks like the AWE64 will be giving me pretty much the same problem as the AWE32 as far as my joystick is going. Don't know where I read that the AWE64 did things differently. Though it would make sense. The AWE64 was coming out around the same time as the PCI port, and systems were starting to overdrive normal joystick ports on a regular basis.

One thing that my searches have given me, another speed compensating joystick port (with speed adjust dial.) I never heard of the Gravis Eliminator Game Card until now. I'm wondering if there are any others that I'm just not finding. I found the Eliminator quite by accident. Searches for "Speed Compensated" or "Speed Compensating" just didn't reveal this card. I actually stumbled across it during an AWE64 search 🙁

Anyways, if tweaking the BUS speed will get my stick working in Wing Commander Armada, I'll consider the PCI slot open again (it's actually a shared PCI ISA slot.) If not, I guess I'll have to give up on the Voodoo 1 and go with the ACM or Eliminator (or some other card I haven't discovered yet.) On that note, does anyone have knowledge of these cards enough to comment on if one works better than the other? I'm tending towards getting the ACM as I'm more familiar with that card. I actually had one once, and it worked great for me.

Just a FYI, WCA joystick doesn't work at all when pulling back (up,) or to the right. As soon as I even tap it forward or left, the game jumps to max down (or left - depending on which way I tapped it,) and locks there. I end up in a permanent dive/left turn. All the buttons and such (except the coolie hat,) work just fine. I seem to recall it did this in the past until I installed the ACM card. I could be misremembering that part a bit though.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 14 of 35, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

Alternatively, just monitor the temperature of the VRM chip, and maybe glue on a small heatsink. Better then nothing...

Attached is a batch file for SMB, which makes it easier to quickly select the desired FSB speed.

Jumper 4 from SW1 is the i440BX AGP divider. It needs to be 'off' when using higher FSB speeds. Or just leave it off all the time.

The jumper/dip is already off (I'm assuming that's the one that sets AGP to 2/3rds FSB.) I've run into a problem with SMB though, it's not reporting/setting things correctly. Setting to 100 actually sets to 66.6. Doing a read (/p) gives me correct processor speed (mostly.) It says 801.x (don't remember the x off hand,) instead of 800Mhz. But it reports the FSB as 50Mhz (multiplier is locked at 8x). Setting 50Mhz gives me 390Mhz for some reason. Rather confusing really. Is it possible I have a different PLL? Any way I can find out?

Feeding Dragon

Reply 16 of 35, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

What are you going to do with the memory upgrade on the AWE?

Soundfonts... I have soundfonts up to 10MB in size right now, that I couldn't load on my old card (only had 2M.) They won't load on a stock AWE64 Gold either (only 4MB.) A 32MB SIMM stick is rather cheap right now ($4-ish,) so slap that onto the AWE64, and it's as large as it's possible to get it. Now, 4MB of that is wasted (actually 8MB on the AWE64 Gold,) because the emu chip can only address 28MB, but I can live with that level of wastage. This doesn't do me much good in DOS, because there isn't (yet,) a DOS program to load fonts onto the card. But it works just fine in both Windows 3.1 and Windows 98.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 17 of 35, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FeedingDragon wrote:

The jumper/dip is already off (I'm assuming that's the one that sets AGP to 2/3rds FSB.)

Exactly.

FeedingDragon wrote:

I've run into a problem with SMB though, it's not reporting/setting things correctly. Setting to 100 actually sets to 66.6. Doing a read (/p) gives me correct processor speed (mostly.) It says 801.x (don't remember the x off hand,) instead of 800Mhz. But it reports the FSB as 50Mhz (multiplier is locked at 8x). Setting 50Mhz gives me 390Mhz for some reason. Rather confusing really. Is it possible I have a different PLL? Any way I can find out?

Is that with my bat file? PLL chip on your board should be the same.
Read back FSB may be wrong, so take that with a grain of salt. A better way to confirm your FSB speed is to divide total CPU speed by the CPU multiplier, like 800 MHz / 8.0x = 100 MHz.
Measured total CPU speed should be reliable. It is normal that it is never exactly the theoretical value, like 801.x and 390MHz. So you got 390MHz: there is your system at half speed at any time you need it to be 😀.

FeedingDragon wrote:

This doesn't do me much good in DOS, because there isn't (yet,) a DOS program to load fonts onto the card.

Yet? Read my post here: Can't find AWE banks loader for DOS :(

Reply 18 of 35, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:
FeedingDragon wrote:

This doesn't do me much good in DOS, because there isn't (yet,) a DOS program to load fonts onto the card.

Yet? Read my post here: Can't find AWE banks loader for DOS :(

I would have actually responded in that thread, but it is 5 years old. I can load the patch data, but the preset data is lost. I've tried using AWEUtil by providing a converted & renamed SBK file, but it chokes on larger files. The only way I can see a DOS program for soundfonts working is if it basically does the same thing as AWEUtil. That is, load the patch data onto the card, set up the redirect of the sound card's MIDI input (from 300 to 680 in my case IIRC,) and stay in memory (TSR,) to translate and use the preset data it holds. So a DOS foundfont loader would pretty much need to be a TSR. Comments I made in yet another thread also turn out not to be true. AWEUtil doesn't actually need EMM386 to be loaded, just to be loaded high. I think it is the creative DOS emulation driver for PCI cards that needs EMM386 to load (I no longer use PCI cards in DOS, so I can't confirm this.) I do know that I fought with that issue years ago, when I had my first PCI sound card (a SB Live IIRC.)

So, it pretty much stands (from what I've read,) that a fully functional means of using soundfonts in DOS doesn't yet exist. The only exception to this (that I can think of,) is if the DOS program can overwrite what AWEUtil loads. Then AWEUtil could be used to load a stub soundfont that is basically just the preset data you want in memory with a holder font to be loaded into the card's RAM. Then you use another program that will load the larger (real) soundfont file onto the card replacing the holder font that is already there. The second program wouldn't need to stay resident as the resident AWEUtil can handle things after that point. Don't know how well that would work though.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 19 of 35, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:
Is that with my bat file? PLL chip on your board should be the same. Read back FSB may be wrong, so take that with a grain of s […]
Show full quote
FeedingDragon wrote:

I've run into a problem with SMB though, it's not reporting/setting things correctly. Setting to 100 actually sets to 66.6. Doing a read (/p) gives me correct processor speed (mostly.) It says 801.x (don't remember the x off hand,) instead of 800Mhz. But it reports the FSB as 50Mhz (multiplier is locked at 8x). Setting 50Mhz gives me 390Mhz for some reason. Rather confusing really. Is it possible I have a different PLL? Any way I can find out?

Is that with my bat file? PLL chip on your board should be the same.
Read back FSB may be wrong, so take that with a grain of salt. A better way to confirm your FSB speed is to divide total CPU speed by the CPU multiplier, like 800 MHz / 8.0x = 100 MHz.
Measured total CPU speed should be reliable. It is normal that it is never exactly the theoretical value, like 801.x and 390MHz. So you got 390MHz: there is your system at half speed at any time you need it to be 😀.

OK, then it does work. When I set it to 100, it reported 801.xx as the total speed, just with a FSB of 66.6. Testing was done with both your BAT file and with me typing the commands out long form. Though, the programs inability to accurately reed the data makes me question its ability to accurately set the data 🙁 Though, as long as it isn't going to set "higher" amounts, that isn't much of an issue, more than likely I would use it to lower the FSB for games that needed it, then reboot my computer after, instead of using it to restore full speed.

Feeding Dragon