VOGONS

First post, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hiya,
been playing with a ECS SiS 315 64mb AGP card in my socket A Sempron 2800+ machine, reading this reviewhttp://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/dis … lay/sis315.htmlit seems the card has amazingly good FSAA, however i can't seem to get in enabled. I'm using driver version 3.51a from here on the vogons driver page. so are there any later and better drivers than these for XP? To be honest I am quietly impressed with this little card, far better than i expected it to be, considering how much it cost when new it gives the geforce 2mx a good run for it's money. I may try a power strip overclock, currently stock is 166mhz for the GPU & 143 for the RAM, you folks think it will make much difference or as well to leave be?
One odd quirk i have found with the card is that it will not work on intel 845 chipset, just gives "no video" beeps(it's a 1.5 volt, or at least keyed that way, card so not that) tried it on two different boards, MSI and gigabyte with same results. It is howver fine and happy in the ASUS A7V-400-MX(VIA KM400) socket A board.
One last thing, it's running at AGP 2X, is this the best it can manage or will it do 4X in some way?
Thanks,
Chris

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 1 of 3, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not actually familiar with the card, but it sounds like it's keyed wrong on the physical board if it only wants to run AGP 2x and won't work with the 845 (which requires 1.5V compatibility). The review you linked says it's using drivers 2.02.05 - can you get those anywhere? I know nVidia has a nasty habit of removing AA features from later drivers to improve performance, I don't know if SiS did that as well.

I'll agree its FSAA does look intelligent - like Matrox's Edge AA or nVidia's (very modern) FXAA; only working where it needs to.