VOGONS

PLEASE HELP ME FIND THIS CASE!!! :D

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 82, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't understand the crush on this case. The difference between it and the CSX917C is one 5.25" drive bay?

Honestly there are times this entire thread comes off as a troll. 😒

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 41 of 82, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Having experienced some nostalgia driven obsessions myself, I can kinda understand the crush thing. I didn't make my crush everyone else's problem though.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 42 of 82, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just need to have a lot of patience when trying to find exactly what you are looking for. I know I had to when I was trying to find the same Acer I had as a kid.

Just keep looking, be patient, and it can pay off. 😀

Reply 43 of 82, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Having experienced some nostalgia driven obsessions myself, I can kinda understand the crush thing. I didn't make my crush everyone else's problem though.

I don't get, what is your problem Aussie? Have you noticed that you're the most negative person on this forum? Why would you post something if there's nothing you can do to help him?

Reply 44 of 82, by relink2013

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I really don't mean to hijack this thread but 3 people posted pictures relevant to my search. I started a thread looking for a different case from the same website.

Re: I really need a hand finding a specific case.

I noticed that both "armankordi", "ReeseRiverson" and "AlphaWing" posted pictures of the case that I am looking for, the ATX800. Do any of you guys know where I can find one for a reasonable price? anyone willing to part with one 🙁 . I am looking for the ATX version though, not the AT version.

atx100.jpg

Reply 45 of 82, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

relink2013 I see quite a few of those cases where I live. They come with the whole computer inside usually, but they are usually pretty cheap even complete. I don't know if the shipping costs would be worth it though.

Reply 46 of 82, by relink2013

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thats the issue I've been having, the 2 that I have found were complete systems. The sellers wanted way to much for the systems, and add on shipping, I would have been looking at almost $200 just for a case. I didn't even pay that much for the case my modern system is in. 🤣

Reply 47 of 82, by zsknight22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
relink2013 wrote:
Hey guys, I really don't mean to hijack this thread but 3 people posted pictures relevant to my search. I started a thread looki […]
Show full quote

Hey guys, I really don't mean to hijack this thread but 3 people posted pictures relevant to my search. I started a thread looking for a different case from the same website.

Re: I really need a hand finding a specific case.

I noticed that both "armankordi", "ReeseRiverson" and "AlphaWing" posted pictures of the case that I am looking for, the ATX800. Do any of you guys know where I can find one for a reasonable price? anyone willing to part with one 🙁 . I am looking for the ATX version though, not the AT version.

atx100.jpg

Well, you happen to be in luck:

The seller in this eBay listing has a couple ATX800's for sale, and also a CSX917B 😉

Item listing: 111582499416
Seller: matildathebulldog
Listing Title: Beige ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case

They're going for cheap, around $25.00 USD or so. The seller is quite flexible too, maybe you can negotiate shipping costs. 😀

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reply 48 of 82, by relink2013

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was actually just coming here to say that I bought that exact one. It's sitting in my living room right now!!! The seller is a great guy, he was originally selling complete systems, but I talked to him, and he agreed to sell me just the case. Then I guess he decided to gut all the computers and sell all the cases. But I got it!!! My original case, it's in great shape, and he sold it to me for $25 bucks! I couldn't be happier.

IMG_20150128_111921.JPG
Filename
IMG_20150128_111921.JPG
File size
260.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20150130_072239-1.JPG
Filename
IMG_20150130_072239-1.JPG
File size
502.7 KiB
Views
File license

The Specs: (I had to work with what I already had for now, so it's not exactly what I had before)
CPU: 1.1GHz Coppermine (Originally had a 733MHz)
RAM: 512MB SDRAM (Originally had 128MB, then went up to 768MB, but this board won't take 768MB even though it has 3 slots)
GPU: GeForce 4 MX420 (Which is the same as a GeForce 2 MX). Also, the card in the picture is from my very first upgrade, unfortunately it has some issues so I had to swap it out for a MX440, which is still about the same as a GeForce 2 Ultra....Yah, the MX cards were terrible, but I didn't know that when I was a kid, 🤣. (hint hint, the GeForce 2 Ultra is still slightly faster than the MX440, 🤣.)
HDD1: 6GB Quantum Fireball (Unfortunately it crashed 2 days after install so now it's a newer Seagate 40GB drive)
HDD2: 100GB Seagate (and it's LOADED with games, and still growing) and obviously I didn't have a 100GB HDD in 2001, 🤣.
CD/DVD: I apparently don't own any IDE CD/DVD drives that actually work anymore, I borrowed the drive from my wife's computer to install Windows.
FDD: Sony, works fantastic.
Monitor: Mitsubishi Diamondtron 2060U MAX: 2048x1536@60Hz CURRENT: 1152x864@120Hz
AUD: Creative Sound Blaster LIVE!
SPK: Yamaha YST M20DSP (These are actually the speakers I got with my first upgrade!, and they are still AMAZING speakers, even by todays standards)

I have the unofficial service pack 3 installed, and the USB mass storage drivers. I have full networking support, I can even connect to my NAS. I can read and write NTFS drives, and read and write Flash Drives. With KernelEX I am able to run some Windows 2000/XP/Vista apps, (provided they don't require any libraries not available on Windows 98 such as VC++2010 or anything like that. I have a modern web browser that is fast as can be, K-meleon 1.5, with flash support, Youtube works @ 360P, it's a little slow, but completely watchable.

I know the cooling is way overkill in this case, and the ram fan is completely unnecessary, and I actually added that green heatsink to the northbridge, which is also unnecessary, using articsilver 5 on every single heatsink in the computer was also unnecessary. however most of the components in this computer are 10-15 years old, and I intend on making this system last as long as it possibly can, and keeping it cool is the best way to do that. I even added ram coolers to the MX440, and got a brand new heatsink and fan for it too. Even overlocked it doesn't come close to getting warm. The MX420 is going on display on my bookshelf. Under full load this system runs as cool as it does when it's turned off....except the HDD's thoes suckers get friggin HOT!

I will be adding some trimmings here and there as I have time and money to do it. Once I have the lights installed Ill post some finished pictures with it turned on. I actually had blue LED's in the front vents on the case as a kid, except unlike the LEDS I ordered which are on nice adhesive strips, my original LED's were bought at radio shack and I individually solderd them together, burnt my fingers a few times, and of course I couldn't tell me dad that I was playing with his soldering iron, to this day he still thinks I hit my thumb with a hammer, 🤣.

Sorry, got a little long winded taking a trip down memory lane. I really appreciate all the help finding this case. Thank you very much.

Ill be updating (slowly) as the build progresses.

Reply 49 of 82, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have any idea how much those Yamaha YST M20DSP speakers cost when they were new? Those were actually the speakers I wanted back in 1998, but ended up getting a pair of crap "240W" speakers instead, since the Yamaha were expensive, but I don't really remember how much they cost.

Reply 50 of 82, by zsknight22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Glad we could help you find what you needed, your rig is most excellent! Makes me think about my similar build, I currently have a Gateway Select PC as my win98 gaming rig, back from when my older brother bought it in 1999-2000.

It has:

CPU: AMD Athlon K7 600Mhz
Mem: 256MB
GPU: GeForce 256 DDR
HDD: 40GB IDE ATA-133
DVD-ROM: 4X (original hitachi drive, still works like a charm)
CD-RW: 4x4x32 (also original, still works too miraculously!)
Monitor: Gateway FPD1810, was originally the Gateway VX700 CRT
Sound: Sound Blaster Live! Value

I haven't used it in awhile, but I need to sit down with it and play a nostalgic game of Q3A or Elder Scrolls III on it. Or Warcraft 3 maybe. Hmmm...

Well back to focusing on my CSX917D now. If only I could find one... I'd have the most fantastically fashionable little AT DOS gaming system ever. Well, at least to me. 😉 Keep your eyes open for me folks, I'm still completely convinced that someone out there somewhere has the case I'm looking for in a garage or recycling center or shed or bomb shelter or... something. 🤣

*fingers crossed* 😁

Reply 51 of 82, by relink2013

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@devius
I don't remember, I got them as a christmas present because I would eyeball them every time we went to best buy. But I do know you can get them on eBay and even Amazon as old-new stock for between $30-40. I paid $44 for mine off of Amazon, the seller made no mention of the condition, and they arrived in the original box (which was beat to hell and back) when I opened the box the speakers were still sealed in their original plastic. The, box despite it's horrible condition, still had the original seals and everything.

They are still out there, I know there was at least 2 pairs left on Amazon, and 1 or 2 pairs on ebay, all around the same price range. None of them specify whether or not they are still new, or used, so I'm not sure if they are all still new, or if I just got lucky.

Last edited by relink2013 on 2015-02-05, 15:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 52 of 82, by relink2013

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thats a nice setup man, it's the same as the build my buddy Jason is doing. He's a huge AMD fan. Me and a bunch of friends are all building our retro systems and hopefully this weekend or next were going to get together for a LAN party. Were all using Pentium III's except him, he's using an old T-Bird, and I even found him an old 64MB GeForce 256, It has some corrosion on the connector though, so were going to clean it up, and see if it still works, other than that it looks to be in great shape.

Im still on the hunt for a few parts for myself, and I'm helping my friends do some hunting too so keep this thread bookmarked, if I come across one of those cases while I'm searching, this will be the first place I go. and just to make sure, it's an AT case, not an ATX right?

Reply 53 of 82, by zsknight22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
relink2013 wrote:

I'm still on the hunt for a few parts for myself, and I'm helping my friends do some hunting too so keep this thread bookmarked, if I come across one of those cases while I'm searching, this will be the first place I go. and just to make sure, it's an AT case, not an ATX right?

Thanks very much -

Yes indeed, the CSX917D is a mini AT tower, not ATX. The other models, the CSX917A, B, and C are all ATX.

I hope one day to post tons of pictures of my new-looking clean sleek AT minitower Pentium-I system, housed in a like-new CSX917D. Hopefully that dream will become a reality sooner than later 😉

If you guys need more pictures for convenience or verification, please let me know. And thanks again for continuing to keep your eyes peeled for me!

Reply 54 of 82, by evoportals

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the exact 917 B case (ATX) as shown in the picture. Bought it back in 1999 at a computer show (remember those) and build a Pentium III 450mhz system with it. Still have it and run Windows 98se. Its a pretty nice case and I still really like how it looks.

case_computer_917_series.jpg

Reply 56 of 82, by buffster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all! I have been searching my computer case model name for decade. I have found this site by browsing Google images and I happen to find "relink2013" who post that picture of computer case that look very similar to my computer case (Look at the picture I post). Except, it's full-tower and it have 4 wheels. My uncle bought this computer case way back in 2002. I remember I asked him where he got it. I forgot what he said but he said the place was close down and can't find anywhere anymore.
Anyone know what the name of this computer case model? Thanks!

I am planning to max up my old computer and it only few more things I need to get and THEN I'm done. In the future, I will used this old computer to build into arcade cabinet. Also, another reason is that I'm doing this because I am planning to buy and build brand new computer! By the way, for those you curious about what my computer spec is, there you go 😀

Operating System: MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2600 (plan to upgrade to AMD Athlon xp 3200+)

RAM: 2.50 GB DDR @ 133MHz (Although after I installed new video card, for some reason, computer won't boot if is 3GB of ram installed. It's only work for my other old video card. According to Manuel the max of ram is 3GB, HMMMMM?)

Motherboard: MSI K7T266 PRO2-A

Graphics: HIS ATI Radeon HD 4670 1GB AGP

Hard Drives: 59GB Western Digital WDC WD600BB-75CAA0 (PATA) (My first hard drive since 2002)

293GB Western Digital WDC WD3000BB-00KEA0 (PATA) (my 300GB hard drive have windows XP corrupt and it wont boot. Lucky for me, I still have all of my junks stuff in it)

Optical Drives: SONY DVD RW AW-G170A (I had to unplugged because my dvd wornout)

Audio: AMD High Definition Audio Device (Diamond XtremeSound PCI 7.1 Channels
16 bit Sound Card)

Attachments

• IMG_1232.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1232.JPG
    File size
    2.87 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 57 of 82, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zsknight22 wrote:
Thanks very much - […]
Show full quote
relink2013 wrote:

I'm still on the hunt for a few parts for myself, and I'm helping my friends do some hunting too so keep this thread bookmarked, if I come across one of those cases while I'm searching, this will be the first place I go. and just to make sure, it's an AT case, not an ATX right?

Thanks very much -

Yes indeed, the CSX917D is a mini AT tower, not ATX. The other models, the CSX917A, B, and C are all ATX.

I hope one day to post tons of pictures of my new-looking clean sleek AT minitower Pentium-I system, housed in a like-new CSX917D. Hopefully that dream will become a reality sooner than later 😉

If you guys need more pictures for convenience or verification, please let me know. And thanks again for continuing to keep your eyes peeled for me!

When browsing for myself I will also pay attention for that little AT case. I can relate to this as I, for a long time, looked for this HP case:

hp%20brio%20%207176_zps26m4n2ib.jpg