VOGONS

PLEASE HELP ME FIND THIS CASE!!! :D

Topic actions

First post, by zsknight22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello folks!

I have been a long time reader, but seldom do I post anywhere... until it seems the entire internet does not have an answer for my question(s). Then I start posting. So, here's my debut post...

As we all know, AT-form factor cases are getting harder and harder to find with each passing month - most notably ones that are nice, clean and new-looking. Now, I know the occasional batch of AT cases will come up on ebay, interloper, etc... but the ones available are usually rather blocky-looking and (although sometimes new condition) just don't suit my exact style.

There is however... one case that has caught my eye and is without a doubt the most wonderful looking (although I'm sure some will disagree) little AT case I've ever seen. As I'm sure most of us are aware, there was a case manufacturer named Maxtop during the late 90's - early 2000's that manufactured all kinds of great cases. Most notably for me, they made...

The SUPER 2000 series CSX-917 series cases.

Most notably, I am looking for the CSX917D - Mini AT Tower. You can see a picture of it by scrolling down this page:

http://aiyamicro.com/legacy-products/cases_computer.htm

For some reason, a now-defunct company site for 'Aiya-Micro' still harnesses the only reference I can find to this case on the net. Literally, NO ONE ELSE ANYWHERE seems to have any knowledge or reference to this line of cases. I came really close when I found an ebayer selling the Maxtop Hivemind CSX917K - an ATX permutation of the case I'm looking for that includes front usb ports. No thanks, not on my old P1 socket 7 build. 😉

I even went so far as to contact the manufacturer (Maxtop does still exist) and also Aiya Micro... but both to no avail. I reached out to the good folks at interloper as well also to no avail. 🙁 No body has my coveted CSX917D AT MiniTower.

I've read post after post here at VOGONs, and if there is any team out there who can help a picky nerd like me find the AT minitower of my dreams... I know it's you guys. If anyone out there has one of these cases please... I implore you... let me know and we can work a great deal out! 😀

I look forward to your replies... and feel free to let me know if you need any other info or clarification.

Reply 1 of 82, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think I ever seen this case where I live, and I've seen lots of them (AT cases that is), sorry.

And suppose you find someone who does have this case, shipping isn't gonna be cheap if it has to come from across an ocean, but good luck nonetheless with your endeavor 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 82, by zsknight22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First and foremost, thanks very much for your replies! As requested, my location has been updated. I checked www.bonanza.com and was pleased at their superior selection of AT cases compared to eBay, etc. However, the case I'm seeking is unfortunately not there. 🙁

I wanted to mention also, that this case is so important to me, that shipping charges are no object to me. I don't care what it takes to get it to me - if you have one or have a friend who maybe has a garage or warehouse with one, please for god's sake don't hesitate for a moment to let me know. 😉

Again folks, I'm looking for a Maxtop Super 2000 (Or Hivemind) series CSX917D AT MiniTower, as shown a little ways down on this web page:

Thanks again for looking into this and keeping an eye out for this treasure for me!!

Reply 5 of 82, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there pretty nice cases. I have a CSX917C. got it off some random guy on Craigslist when I bought a PC lot off him. I'm using it ATM as a Win98 machine. The airflow isn't the best in it though. its adequate but I ended up drilling some extra vent holes in the side.

Reply 6 of 82, by zsknight22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, cool - Glad to know there are folks out there that still have one of these little guys runnin'.

I actually have a WinXP PC using the ATX 800 Series Case, and my old P1 120mhz system is using the CSX106 Minitower AT. Just wish I had that elusive CSX917D case. Keep piling on the suggestions guys, I know someone out there has what I'm looking for 😉

Reply 7 of 82, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a 917B. I bought it in 2001 for my first TV out build and have used it for my main rig since. Its funny, I didn't know what brand or anything about it until you posted this. I bought mine on eBay years ago. Its been a great case over the years. I just recently swapped it out for a horizontal atx case for my htpc. The 917b is just sitting around waiting for a new build now.
Anyway, good luck on finding the AT version. Keep in mind, you could just get an AT backplate for an atx case.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 8 of 82, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

1: Please add a location to your user profile.
2: Check http://www.bonanza.com. There are a lot of AT cases listed there.

Good luck and have fun! 🤣

I`d really wouldnt trust that seller.. He also sells these cases on ebay.. I had tried buying from him in the past.. He never sended me the case.. It tooked very long if it would every arrive.
But my guessing is that he never send it to me.. Because of lies of this seller (he was still saying that i needed to wait when it would arrive) And it tooked almost 2 months, and still nothing..

If that was a trusted seller then he was already out of stock of these AT cases..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Black-AT-Computer … =item3a98d20150

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Tower-Server-Bei … =item3a9aceb395

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-Tower-Server-AT- … =item3ceb9cc42a

Some examples..

He using the name: roxmarthenr

He also asks to high shipping costs as you see in the ebay listing.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 9 of 82, by zsknight22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nekurahoka wrote:

Keep in mind, you could just get an AT backplate for an atx case.

Holy crap cows!!! That's something I thought might be possible, but I didn't know there were actually folks that did this. If so, that opens a HUGE set of possibilities for me!!!

Ok, so let's go tumbling down that trail for a minute or two...

1) Have you done an ATX to AT conversion before? Do you possibly have a guide on how to do this? (Don't worry about the power supply/switch part... I have that covered already)
2) If you haven't done this, are there AT backplate 'pop-in' solutions you can buy somewhere? If so, where/who do I contact for this miracle? 😁

Thanks so much for the continued help on this guys... you are doing great! Again for the folks who are just now looking at this thread, the short version of what I'm looking for is the ever-elusive, Maxtop Hivemind "CSX917D Minitower AT Case", as shown here:

Keep up the great suggestions guys!!! 😀

Reply 10 of 82, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're lucky, the only things you'll need is a power cable adapter w/ switch and an AT I/O backplate. They pop up on ebay from time to time.

Cheers

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 11 of 82, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You might want to read this thread:
Cyrix MII-433GP Build
The guy mounted an AT board with an ATX PSU + ATX case and made a little converter to turn the momentary switch into a latched one.

Reply 13 of 82, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

TBH I never realised people cared about clone cases or that they had model #s. I focus on OEM boxes exclusively myself.

I agree, I always thought the pride was in owning Such and Such brand name for vintage computers. (In my case Packard Bell, IBM and Commodore)

Besides these are way ergonomic. Computers should be boxy or angular in my opinion. 😜

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 14 of 82, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I own one just like the poster above me, but mine has 4 optical drive bays and is atx. I bought it brand new years ago and there is no yellowing and hardly any scratches - If you're interested make an offer. I also have an ATX to Baby AT converter backplate for it as well.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 15 of 82, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By the way has anyone seen cases looking like these around? My dad had the grey and beige one. I've always wanted to find one again and build a pc just like his with the same ASUS A7V mobo. They are called "Apevia ATX998KL" or simply just "Turbo Case" and I think they are one of the best looking cases of that era.

Attachments

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 16 of 82, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computergeek92 wrote:

They are called "Apevia ATX998KL" or simply just "Turbo Case" and I think they are one of the best looking cases of that era.

I agree. Very nice. Does anybody have a source for cheap beige ATX cases? I especially like the translucent blue trim on that Apevia case.

I think I'd like to have at least one non-OEM beige system case, but they're not exactly easy to find anymore.

If all else fails, I suppose I could buy from Aiya Micro that zsknight22 mentioned. The ATX version of the CSX917D is also quite nice.

Reply 18 of 82, by zsknight22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
computergeek92 wrote:

By the way has anyone seen cases looking like these around? My dad had the grey and beige one. I've always wanted to find one again and build a pc just like his with the same ASUS A7V mobo. They are called "Apevia ATX998KL" or simply just "Turbo Case" and I think they are one of the best looking cases of that era.

I really want to say I have seen this one recently on eBay, the one with the gray trim instead of turquoise. I searched for it roving eBay for a total of 2 or 3 hours throughout the week but have been unable to find it again. Keep your eye out... good search terms looking for this on eBay would include:

"VINTAGE PC ATX CASE", "BEIGE PC ATX CASE", "WHITE PC ATX CASE", "RETRO PC CASE", or exchange the word 'case' with 'tower' in any of the aforementioned terms.

KT7AGuy wrote:

I agree. Very nice. Does anybody have a source for cheap beige ATX cases? I especially like the translucent blue trim on that Apevia case.

I think I'd like to have at least one non-OEM beige system case, but they're not exactly easy to find anymore.

This may also be helpful for you too, I have had a substantial amount of success even in the last couple weeks finding ATX form factor beige cases on eBay using the terms stated above.

Alright folks... again... to those who are new to the thread, I am seeking an old AT computer case called "CSX917D Minitower AT Case". It was part of the Super 2000 series of cases made by Maxtop or an affiliate brand... and the only remaining reference to this case can be viewed by scrolling down this page:

Please... continue to ask friends, family, acquaintances... anyone who may have access to a storage shed, old inventory warehouse, etc if you can browse their wares - I'm sure my CSX917D Mini AT Tower is waiting for me somewhere out there.

Also, to those of you who posted and have the CSX917C (The one with 3 5.25" bays) please PM me at your earliest convenience as I am extremely interested in that item as well. Thanks again guys, keep up the great work!!

Reply 19 of 82, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As luck would have it, I found a guy on craigslist selling a mostly-complete Enlight case for $5. It is in fantastic condition, so I grabbed it. I would have preferred a case with three 5.25" bays, but I suppose the four that this case has will allow some extra flexibility.

Does anybody have a source for cheap replacement Enlight drive rails?