VOGONS

First post, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a FIC 486-GAC-2 mobo with 5429 video chip onboard, but I can't get onboard video working with my LCD monitors. Sorry I don't have any CRT now. The board boots up with a standalone ISA video card. Has anyone had any experience with this board? How can I tell if the onboard video is busted or just not friendly to LCDs? Thanks!

Update:

The seller send me another board and meanwhile I picked up a good ol'CRT from my neighbor's garage. But unfortunately the CRT can't get any signal from either of the boards. Well it's odd that both boards came with crippled VGA.

Last edited by lazibayer on 2014-12-29, 22:46. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 24, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There really shouldn't be any difference between LCD and CRT when connected to VGA card. You should check if there is any jumper to disable on-board vga and re-enable it.

Last edited by kixs on 2014-11-12, 23:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 7 of 24, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Matth79 wrote:

The BIOS boot screen, in particular, should be in a mode compatible with ANYTHING, so if it doesn't even show that, it sounds like the onboard video could be faulty

Thanks. I am contacting the seller to seek for a solution.

Reply 9 of 24, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There were problems with some old VGAs and LCDs because the signal on their outputs is not compatible with LCDs (LCDs are much more picky about it than CRTs). Find a CRT monitor in your neighborhood before you return the motherboard, it still may work.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 11 of 24, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since there are no beeps it's not a monitor problem, it's probably bad ram. Try to disable onboard video, if you get a long beep followed by short ones it's the vga else ram is faulty.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 12 of 24, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You might also want to check which memory slots are populated. I recall quite a number of onboard chips could only use memory from the first memory bank/slot. Also, I've actually seen a broken Socket5 MoBo with onboard Trio64 that appeared to have slots to install VRAM separately, so you might want to check that up as well.

Reply 13 of 24, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

You might also want to check which memory slots are populated. I recall quite a number of onboard chips could only use memory from the first memory bank/slot. Also, I've actually seen a broken Socket5 MoBo with onboard Trio64 that appeared to have slots to install VRAM separately, so you might want to check that up as well.

The onboard VGA has separate sockets for RAM and it has 512K now.
There are 3 ram slots, bank 0, 1 and 2/3. Tried 0 and 2/3, didn't change anything.

Reply 14 of 24, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dondiego wrote:

Since there are no beeps it's not a monitor problem, it's probably bad ram. Try to disable onboard video, if you get a long beep followed by short ones it's the vga else ram is faulty.

Here are the outcomes:

VGA: ON, Video: Color -- 1 Long, 3 Short
VGA: OFF, Video: Color -- 1 Long, 3 Short
VGA: ON, Video: Mono -- No beep
VGA: OFF, Video: Mono -- No beep

It's interesting that the VGA ON/OFF switch doesn't trigger the beep while setting video mode to color triggers the beep. So the VGA is bad?
The system RAM should be OK since it boots with standalone ISA card, and I have tested with different ram sticks. Are you talking about VRAM?

Reply 15 of 24, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't notice you mentioned earlier it booted with an vga card, then it's obviously a problem with the onboard video.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 17 of 24, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

Maybe the VRAM chips aren't good? Have you tried reseating the chips on their sockets?

It has one 512K chip soldered on the board and an open socket. Currently I don't have any vram chip to plug in.

Reply 18 of 24, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dondiego wrote:

I didn't notice you mentioned earlier it booted with an vga card, then it's obviously a problem with the onboard video.

Thanks. I will ask the seller for a replacement.

Reply 19 of 24, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update:

The seller send me another board and meanwhile I picked up a good ol'CRT from my neighbor's garage. But unfortunately the CRT can't get any signal from either of the boards. Well it's odd that both boards came with crippled VGA.