VOGONS

First post, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone know what the default rating for the 3.3v line on the AGP port is? Just confirmed from MSI that the TNT2 32MB card I have installed uses 3.0A on the 3.3v AGP line. This is much less than the 4-5A that the Voodoo 3 uses. But since the board doesn't have the dip switches (were only available on the rev2.0+ boards,) I would like to make sure that this will work with my board. I don't really want to solder a wire onto the board if I can get out of it, and since I've decided not to try and install a Voodoo 3, I'm hoping I won't have too. I "think" that the regulator that comes on this board is rated at 2.5A, but would like to confirm that. A little hard to do since I don't even know which device on the board is the regulator in question. I tried asking Gigabyte, but they say they don't have that information, and can't release the schematics.... Seems to me that if they even have the schematics to "not release" them, they should be able to look it up themselves 🙁

Feeding Dragon

Reply 1 of 3, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most companies are not that good at retaining information from their past, that information is many many servers ago... don't criticize them too badly. Also, do not put too much trust into what they _can_ dig up from that era (ex. what MSI found out from you), about the only companies I'd trust with that far lookback are Intel, AMD, and maybe Asus. My two cents. 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 3, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All I can tell you is that I ran an Elsa Erazor III (TNT2 Pro 32MB) on a QDI LX motherboard for several years and everything still worked fine when I sold them ( 😢 ). I don't think you'll have any problems with your BX board which I assume was designed at a time when graphics cards required more power than what was available for the first LX boards.

Reply 3 of 3, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want to go out of spec, it would be advisable to put in some effort:
- Measure out the current AGP VRM config with a Multimeter, as to figure out which VRM(s) are involved.
- Look up anecdotes of other people running their GA-6BXC v1.9 board with TNT2's, using google or similar.
- Monitor the temperature of the VRM when you suspect it is stressed.
About as much effort as soldering that wire. 😉

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul