VOGONS

First post, by duncan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi to all,
having to clean out our "spare room" I am currently setting up all my old hardware into complete systems. Searching for info, I found this amazing forum. Learned what stuff I got around (for example in "those days" never had a cyrix5x86 on a board,but one is in the "collection"), and how far one can push those AM5x86-133ADWs 😉
Simply wanted to thank all contributors in the forum for blood, sweat and tears they put into tests, infos and research.
greetings duncan

p.s. My all-time-favourite, still working great: Abit BH6, PIII/850 Slotket, GeForce4TI4200, 512MB PC-133cl2,Terratec dmx-xfire, Teac CD-540E

Gibt es hier Freiburger? Interessiert an Kontakten.

Reply 1 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome aboard! 😁

Feel free to post some pics of your (completed) retro rigs 😁

Theres plenty info available on this forum (and from it's users!), just ask as someone is bound to have an answer 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 10, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh you scared me with that title! I thought someone was leaving our little group here. 🤣

(Since the full quote is "So long, thanks for all the fish")

Welcome to the our digital dojo of retro computing! 😜

Your not kidding about the blood though dude, I've had my little Packard bite me a few times while attaching a better heatsink to the cpu. 🤣 Damn those things are like knives.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 3 of 10, by duncan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

@tetrium: Thanks for the warm welcome. Problem about pics: I never in my life took photos - is something completely far-away from me. ut if there is some interest, I can post how the machines are put together and maybe some benchmarks with the few tools I got.
Example:
ASUS PVI-486sp3
AM5x86-133AWZ
256 cache 15ns
32MB FP-Ram 60ns
S3Trio64V2/DX 2MB
Creative CT2960
4,3GB HDD Western Digital
2,1GB HDD Quantum Fireball
LG CDR/RW
Benchmark not archved at the moment

@King_Corduroy: I didn´t leave out the "so long" for nothing 😉 btw, my hands are full of tiny scars from the years ´95 to 2000 when I worked a bit with hardware...

greetings, duncan

Reply 4 of 10, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
duncan wrote:

p.s. My all-time-favourite, still working great: Abit BH6, PIII/850 Slotket, GeForce4TI4200, 512MB PC-133cl2,Terratec dmx-xfire, Teac CD-540E

I used to have a GeForce4 Ti 4200-8X and sold it for peanuts... 😢

Anyway, welcome, although I'm new here as well 😁

Reply 5 of 10, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Glad you could join us duncan 😀

Don't be afraid to take pictures. I'm no photographer myself, but when I first joined I actually took pics of my Socket 7 build for the first time ever; they were lousy, but at least I could show everyone here what I had built. I have taken many more pics since then (even got a new digital camera to replace the old, dead one). And do ask as many questions as you want/need; as Tetrium said, someone will have an answer.

King_Corduroy wrote:

Your not kidding about the blood though dude, I've had my little Packard bite me a few times while attaching a better heatsink to the cpu. 🤣 Damn those things are like knives.

You're not kidding. I still remember when my uncle and I tried to upgrade memory on his Packard Bell; the memory slots were underneath the PSU, and removing it was a rather dangerous balancing act - the PSU was held in place by 6 screws and a small, sharp metal bracket, and moving it around was limited by the amount of wires and connectors going all over the case. I got enough cuts and bruises from that to last me a lifetime >_<.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 6 of 10, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome to the new biggest (and best) time-suck of your life! 😎 Seriously though, this is a fantastic place with lots of people willing to help answer any questions you have, or to share in your fits of nostalgia!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 7 of 10, by duncan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi to all,

...only half a day away from the net machine, and more welcomes again, even under my somewhat misunderstandable topic. Thanks for that, guys.

@devius: my GeForce must be a 4x, otherwise it wouldnt work on a BX (2x). IIrc, backwards compatibility is 4 > 2 and 8 > 4, but not 8 > 2

@JayCeeBee: Not even "no photographer", but never ever used a camera in my life. No mobile phone as well, except for holidays in Greece, an old rustic brick without camera...maybe I can talk my wife into taking some pics, she´s into medical plant photography - distances are about the same 😉

@artex: Never had been that deep into the stuff as some people here (feipoa must have tons of spare time, or he´s not sleeping at all!!), in my working days I only tried to get those buggers as stable and slim as possible; had win95b basic installs cut down to a mere 65MB, fully functionable, deleting unneeded stuff (dll, vxd, complete parts of program - noone I was working for used the PC as a fax machine, so out with the stuff!) from "system" aso. Never were too much into overclocking, and my eyes bulged reading about AM5x86-133 going 200....besides that, I already found a lot of info for my "cleaning out project", just to make it some more fun to transform this "junkyard" into working machines 😉

I´ll keep sticking around,
all of you have a great weekend,
greetings duncan

Reply 9 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought it was some kind of Space Quest 6 reference.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 10, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No 🤣 It's from the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. 🤣

Surely you've noticed the theme here with this forum? 😜

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!