VOGONS

First post, by duncan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everybody,

Don´t know why, but since I´ve got it, I like this NMC-5VM5XS board (with AMD K6-2/350) and want to complete it again. It got a VIA VP3/MVP3 chipset with the VT82C586B, so no ATA/IDE problems there.
What I´m not sure about is which AGP graphic card would suit this chipset/CPU combo best:
- Matrox MGA G200A 8MB
- Elsa Erazer III pro-32 ViVo
- ATI Rage 128 32MB
- what might be overkill: MS-8836, a GeForce2TiVX Pro-VT with 64MB
- and the weirdo in the group available: STB Systems Nitro DVD (Mpact-2) with, iirc, 8MB

So please, remember your old rigs and let me know some suggestions.

greetings duncan

Gibt es hier Freiburger? Interessiert an Kontakten.

Reply 1 of 8, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Elsa Erazer III pro-32 ViVo or the MS-8836 would be my choice, which one of those two matters little as both are fast enough for the kind of 3D games a K6-2 350 can run.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 8, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
duncan wrote:

- Elsa Erazer III pro-32 ViVo

Seriously?? I also used to have an Elsa Erazor III ViVo and also sold it for peanuts... 😢 😢

Well, anyway it depends on what type of games you want to play on it. With that setup Quake 3 is probably out of the question, but Quake 2 and similar games should run great!

The Mpact-2 is probably useless depending on what you're trying to do with that system: http://vintage3d.org/chromatic.php#sthash.bWnbUVeB.dpbs

Reply 4 of 8, by duncan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, friends of antiques,

@Skyscraper: This rig isn´t meant for gaming, just setting it up for havin it going. I decided to put in the Matrox for it´s 2D brilliance which I liked in former days on working machines as well. Thanks for the advice!

@ratfink: Which board did you feed with your K6/2? Still VP3/MVP3 or something ALI or what? I´m interested in details 😉

@devius: okay, keep throwing "sold for peanuts" at me, but please consider to throw some stuff towards me as well 😉 😉
Did you ever use it for video playing?

Thanks guys, keep the good work going,
duncan

Reply 5 of 8, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used a GA5AX which has the ALI chipset. Similarly a Jetway 542C.

Also had good luck with a Soyo 5EMA+ which is VIA MVP3, running a Voodoo 3.

But I had an awful lot of trouble with a Voodoo Banshee on a FIC PA-2013, which others recommend - random freezes, usually within seconds, at most minutes. That would probably have been with Windows 95 though, so maybe that was the problem; the others would have been using 98.

Reply 6 of 8, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
duncan wrote:

@devius: okay, keep throwing "sold for peanuts" at me, but please consider to throw some stuff towards me as well 😉 😉
Did you ever use it for video playing?

I wish I hadn't sold all that stuff... 😢 Now it's hard to find good TNT2 boards that aren't the crappy m64 variant. I did use the Video-In and Video-Out features of that card. It could only capture at 4:3 aspect ratios and the higher resolutions it supposedly supported for capture were unusable in practice, unless you like slide-shows. Up to 352x288 it was pretty smooth on the Pentium II 266MHz CPU I had at the time. 704x576 was about 15fps. I never used it with a faster CPU so I don't know if the bottleneck was the CPU or the video card.

Anyway, the G200 is also a solid choice. It can even do 3D games 😀

Reply 7 of 8, by duncan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi devius,

definitely the CPU. Ran it on a PIII/850Coppermine with slotket on an ABIT BH6 before I got the GF4TI - with this CPU the graphic card slightly became the bottleneck, but ran really well.

<<I wish I hadn't sold all that stuff... 😢 >>

Myself, I´m sorting out at the moment. Will keep one or two "high end" 486, my two ASUS HX board machines, and the NMC. Those are just for the fun of it, but my BH6 as well as my CUBX are in nearly daily use!!
Everything else will be for sale , from a few AM5x86-133 systems up to PIII-700s (pity that it´s not allowed here, I´d love to give my collection to some enthusiasts!)
After the disaster with those HDDs I mentioned in the other thread I´ll have to search a few decent ones - will need at least 2 more between 4 and 8GB for 486s to put together complete systems 🙁

Pity you live 2500km away, I´d love to meet and swap/sell/buy with members here!

So keep the stuff which is left, and have a good time building rigs,

have fun,
greetings duncan

Reply 8 of 8, by duncan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi ratfink,

I myself stuck to 95b quite some time - ´till 98SE came out and I never looked back. Even my two 233mmx/ASUS T2P4/T2P4S run on 98SE (HX with 192RAM 😉 ) If there were still decent antivir programs, I´d be on the net with my CUBX with PIII/1Ghz - and 98SE! Driver problems are much less than under 95b, and on my platforms it runs more stable than the actual net machine with XP....

greetings, duncan