VOGONS

First post, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still that 486-GAC-2 board with standalone ISA VGA card. Has 486SX-33 on it. I just discovered jumper settings to clock the CPU down to 2MHz so why not give it a try 🤣
Well after minutes of POST it tells me disk non-bootable. I am booting DOS 6.22 from floppy. Could booting from hard drive help?
It boots at 4MHz though. LM6.0 says it's equivalent to 20MHz AT 😎

Reply 2 of 9, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Boot at the lowest speed you can and then use a cache tool or disable the internal cache in BIOS. That will significantly slow the things down. You might be able to slow the system to a 6MHz AT level that way

Reply 3 of 9, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

Boot at the lowest speed you can and then use a cache tool or disable the internal cache in BIOS. That will significantly slow the things down. You might be able to slow the system to a 6MHz AT level that way

Oh my main objective was not trying to hit lower score in LM6, but just curious if there is way to boot DOS at 2MHz.
Anyway I will give it a shot!

Reply 4 of 9, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The slowest CPU supported by DOS 6.22 should be the 8086 5MHz. It's possible that it just doesn't like low MHz numbers in CPUs, even though that 486 should be way faster than even a 8086 at 10MHz. There is a 286 at 4MHz which should work with DOS, so it's possible that some part of the OS is looking at the clock speed of the CPU during the boot process, which would explain why your 486 works at 4MHz but not 2MHz. This is all speculation though.

Reply 5 of 9, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

It turned out to be a 5MHz AT 😁

Attachments

Reply 6 of 9, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I finally did it. 486SX @ 2MHz

Filename
IMG_20141117_185035588.jpg
File size
1.14 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

486SX @ 2MHz w/o L1 Cache

Filename
IMG_20141117_190045030.jpg
File size
1.13 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The way I made it work was a BIOS swap. The board came with an ancient NCR/IBM BIOS and I flashed it with the latest BIOS (3276gn1.bin) provided by FIC. The latest BIOS won't boot into DOS at 4MHz. Later I flashed it with another BIOS (att409be.bin) provided by FIC and that's where the story begins. Now I flashed the original BIOS back and it boots at 2MHz.
Here are some other facts I observed. The PS/2 keyboard stopped working at 8MHz and lower. The floppy drive sounds weird at 4MHz and lower.
Some of the issues might be CMOS settings related since the att409be BIOS refuses to boot at 4MHz if BIOS and VGA BIOS shadowing are turned off, but the system is too slow for me to check every possible combination of settings.