VOGONS

Win98se + MVP3 issues

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 41, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, let's say you wanna use a K6-III+ running at 600MHz, which would represent the absolute fastest CPU you could use on such a platform without resorting to extensive overclocking trial & error. If you take a look around here on Vogons, you will see that such a CPU will be trading punches with the Pentium II 350 and the Pentium II 400 for the most part. There have been many threads on the subject in the last 3-4 years especially, quite a few of them by me specifically. I don't have any links at hand, other than my own recent thread, so you can take a look for yourself.

Now, in that test, I used a Voodoo 5 for both systems. There are a couple of reasons why I, and most people on here, decided to use a Voodoo card on such this system:

a)3Dfx cards do not really use any AGP features, they merely use it as a faster bus (AGP=66MHz > PCI=33MHz). Early AGP implementations, especially in non Intel chipsets, such as the MVP3 in question and Ali Aladdin V, were pretty buggy (which is what you are probably experiencing). By not using AGP features, Voodoo cards rarely encounter the issues that other cards do (all Radeon and GeForce cards for example).

b)3Dfx cards seem to have less of a driver CPU overhead (AFAIK this may be related to 3DNow! optimizations in the drivers among other things). So, if you are not GPU limited, you can see a Voodoo3 performing faster than, say, a GeForce 3 on a SS7 system, because the CPU has that much more headroom to work with.
And most of the time you will be CPU limited.

In fact, for most games you'd probably want to play comfortably on the K6-III+, a Voodoo 3 will give you enough performance. I merely used the Voodoo 5 to remove any GPU bottlenecks and show a clearer picture when it came to how each CPU performed free of any GPU bound situations. It can help, but realistically, the games in which the Voodoo 5 will help, are already of questionable playability.

The Voodoo 3 was on par with the Riva TNT2, the Voodoo 5 was in between the GeForce 256 DDR and GeForce 2 GTS. The FX5900 came out 3 generations later! So, you'd be wasting its potential. The GeForce cards will help with TnL games though, such as MDK2 and Max Payne.

I don't know if you'll have any luck with the FX5900 XT. The general rule of thumb is to use as old GeForce drivers as possible, as well as Via. I think 4.35 works nicely for the MVP3, you might even want to go further back like 4.32 or even 4.28. Older GeForce cards like a GeForce 2 MX or GeForce 3 will allow you to use much older drivers, which the FX 5900 XT won't be able to use as it is much newer (it was released in late 2003 AFAIR?).
The Radeon 9250 you are using right now is plenty fast as well, but Radeon drivers can't do DirectX 5 table fog AFAIK, which means some games will end up looking a little weird. I don't recall any issues with VESA modes, but I haven't really looked into it, so perhaps someone's else's input would be preferable.

If you don't really need that much power and can find a Voodoo 3 for cheap, I'd say go for it, it's as plug&play as it goes for these systems. 🤣

What games do you want to play on your system and what CPU do you have right now?

Reply 21 of 41, by Xnyle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all thanks for the extensive reply. Yes, I already read a lot of stuff but I guess I had to make the mistakes myself.

Voodoo 3 is not an option, because no DVI-out. I simply don't want to mess with VGA cables/converters anymore. I don't think I have a game in mind that exclusively wants to use glide and if, I'll probably try a wrapper.

Currently a ti4800 is on it's way, so I'll test if that works when it arrives and if not, i'm probably forced to use the ATI. Maybe I'll look for a 9800 but as you write 9250 is plenty fast enough I could as well use that.

Games in mind: SCUMM adventures, Hexen, GrandPrix1/2, Forsaken, Unreal, Descent, Duke3D, Dune2, C&C, Lemmings, SC2000, Colin Mc Rae Ralleye...
All kinds of stuff mainly from between 1991 to 2001.

Ah, And the CPU currently is a K6-2 500 but I will buy a K6-3 after I get everything else working. The board only supports 5x max though, so max 500MHZ. But to be honest, 3D games from around 2000 without dropping frame-rates isn't realistic, that is how it was back then 😉

Reply 22 of 41, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Having a 5x multiplier maximu is odd for a super socket 7 ...
However, some K6-2 and all K6-III have the 2x multiplier rewired to 6x instead. So you're only missing the 5.5x if you're right (but it may just be not documented. My DFI board says that it can only go up to 4x or something, but in fact all multipliers are present, they are just not documented ^^). However I don't think that using 6x mutliplier with 100MHz FSB is a good idea as most K6 struggled at that frequency due to a hardware flaw. You might try it if you want, if you're lucky it might still work for you

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 23 of 41, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xnyle wrote:

I just wanted the best card still supporting AGP 2.X, but apparently this is just on paper. And It was cheap on Ebay.

How much older GeForce cards are we talking about?

Edit: And I'D like to have DVI, so that's why I ended up with the FX series. I guess the oldest Geforce cards having DVI are the GF4 Ti cards?

Well cheap is good. You can always keep it for another project or sell it for a small profit.
I've seen TNT2 cards with DVI ports. I had Quadro, which has geforce 256 core, with DVI+VGA output. There are plenty of GF2 GTS/MX cards out there with DVI ports.

Reply 25 of 41, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xnyle wrote:

Ah, And the CPU currently is a K6-2 500 but I will buy a K6-3 after I get everything else working. The board only supports 5x max though, so max 500MHZ. But to be honest, 3D games from around 2000 without dropping frame-rates isn't realistic, that is how it was back then 😉

As long as there are 3 jumpers for multiplier settings on your board it's highly likely you have full spectrum of multiplier control. 3 jumpers give you 8 combinations and for a typical K6-2/3 CPU the choices are 2.0 3.0 3.5 4.0 4.5 5.0 5.5 and 6.0.

Reply 26 of 41, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xnyle wrote:

500 will be ok, I'd like this setup to survive another 20 years 😉

My main concern now is finding a cheap graphics card with dvi-out that is working for win and dos.

I am not sure about the DOS part. According to this TNT2 M64 works pretty well under DOS and you can find them with DVI here or here. Geforce2MX might be more suitable for Windows games and you can find them with DVI here and here. These are just results from some random ebay searches. Anything beyond GF3 would probably break the era-correctness.

Reply 27 of 41, by Xnyle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, problem is, I'm not in the US 😀 Era correctness isn't my concern. Sure the GF4 MX 4xx isn't worth a try? based on the NV version numbering it uses an older Chipset (NV17, GF2=NV15) than the GF3 cards (NV20) which seem to be rather rare.

Reply 28 of 41, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xnyle wrote:

Thanks, problem is, I'm not in the US 😀 Era correctness isn't my concern. Sure the GF4 MX 4xx isn't worth a try? based on the NV version numbering it uses an older Chipset (NV17, GF2=NV15) than the GF3 cards (NV20) which seem to be rather rare.

Well if two pieces of hardware are from too different time periods you might have to solve much more problems in order to make them work together. For GF4 MX I have one of them with DVI and it works fine on P5A-B in Windows XP. It's scrapped from a Dell desktop and they are cheaply abundant on ebay. Sorry it's in the US but I hope it also cheap at places around you. Again I'm not sure how it works under DOS, 98se or with MVP3, but for such low price I'd just give it a try.

Reply 29 of 41, by Xnyle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

GF4 MX are very chep, GF2 not, so I ordered a 4 and will see.

Meanwhile I can't get a soundcard to work. I'have a Terratec Solo1 and a Soudblaster 128 (CT4810). Of course only one at a time. For both the drivers install fine, I even get a sound symbol in the task bar, but then after reboot it's gone again and no sound related settings in the control panel at all. devices show up as properly installed in device manager though.

Any idea? Please don't tell me those cards are too new, they're from 2000 😀

Reply 30 of 41, by Xnyle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Never mind, I just reinstalled it from scratch.

But this time with a git repository on the Linux partition tracking every single reboot as a commit.

Apparently Windows98 is so shitty, you can't even change a single hardware component without risking to completely break it. Starting to remember now, how horrible it really was actually having to use it productively back than. 😉

Reply 31 of 41, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xnyle wrote:

Never mind, I just reinstalled it from scratch.

But this time with a git repository on the Linux partition tracking every single reboot as a commit.

Apparently Windows98 is so shitty, you can't even change a single hardware component without risking to completely break it. Starting to remember now, how horrible it really was actually having to use it productively back than. 😉

Welcome to the world of retro computing! 😁

Btw, for some reason I always found 9x to actually be easier about swapping components compared to XP. I would even simply attach all my random harddrives containing any 9x install to my test board and I'd arrive at the desktop most of the time. XP seemed to be much less forgiving, though iirc I later learned that there were a couple things I probably didn't know at the time about certain BIOS settings.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 32 of 41, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Btw, for some reason I always found 9x to actually be easier about swapping components compared to XP. I would even simply attach all my random harddrives containing any 9x install to my test board and I'd arrive at the desktop most of the time. XP seemed to be much less forgiving, though iirc I later learned that there were a couple things I probably didn't know at the time about certain BIOS settings.

I changed the hdd controller to standard IDE and now my XP install can migrate across many boards. XP is less forgiving when moving from ACPI platform to non-ACPI, though.

Reply 33 of 41, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xnyle wrote:

That's really clever!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 34 of 41, by Xnyle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess that's getting a bit OT now, but while waiting for more graphics to arrive, I started playing around with dos and obviously hit the next roadblock: mice.

Yes, I could buy a cheap PS/2 mouse, but I HATE cables 😉

There are a few wireless ones still available, but they all look pretty shabby and cheap.

Is there maybe some kind of active usb to serial mouse converter out there, something like Tom or Rys for the amigas?

Or does someone know a good wireless USB mouse that still uses the PS/2 protocol and works with one of those standard USB-PS2 adapters?

Reply 35 of 41, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a USB Logitech MK270 wireless set and the oldest device which I used it with was GA-5AX (Ali Aladdin 5) motherboard. The MK270 set has the micro USB receiver which works for mouse and keyboard at the same time. It also works right from the startup of the computer (also in BIOS) so probably it meets the SP/2 requirements. Maybe it will work with an USB->PS2 adapter.

I bought it because i ALSO HATE CABLES!!! the additional advantage is that it has encrypted communication. I use this set to switch fast between my everyday and retro PCs. Just unplug/plug it on the front panel of the PC's so I dont need to have multi keyboards and mouses on my desk 😜

Next thing which im looking for is a 4 port KVM to plug everything to it and just switch to other PC's by buttons. As far as I know the KVMs are tricky because there are lots of them which do not have compatible USB interfaces. So putting an MK270 receiver straight into an old motherboard will work, but plugging it through a KVM might not. I know this because I have EDIMAX KVMs at my workplace and their USB interface wont work with every motherboard on startup.

Reply 36 of 41, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xnyle wrote:

Yes, I could buy a cheap PS/2 mouse, but I HATE cables 😉

I actually hate wireless input devices. However the easy KVM switching between rigs does actually sound like a useful feature, but I tend to prefer to give each rig its own setup.

And to kinda help prevent wear and tear of the PS/2 connector on the motherboard, I tend to use PS/2 extension cables (which do not have to be very long).

Extension cables are also quite helpful when dealing with an old ATX board that only has USB ports on the back, or at least they are for flash drives.

Report spammers here!

Reply 37 of 41, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If your motherboard has an option called "USB legacy support" you may want to try that, it should at least allow you to use a USB keyboard instead of a PS/2 keyboard (have never tried it for a mouse).

Reply 38 of 41, by Xnyle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It only has USB Keyboard support but not mouse.

BTW in this new installation my FX5900 suddenly works? I've no idea why the old installation was so messed up. It was a clean install with no hardware swapped prior to everything breaking. Very strange. Only thing I did was to install the latest 8X forceware driver, could that have been the root of all evil?

Reply 39 of 41, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lazibayer wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I changed the hdd controller to standard IDE and now my XP install can migrate across many boards. XP is less forgiving when moving from ACPI platform to non-ACPI, though.

Ah yes now I remember. I think I kept doing this wrong for a long time 😵

Xnyle wrote:

It only has USB Keyboard support but not mouse.

BTW in this new installation my FX5900 suddenly works? I've no idea why the old installation was so messed up. It was a clean install with no hardware swapped prior to everything breaking. Very strange. Only thing I did was to install the latest 8X forceware driver, could that have been the root of all evil?

Possibly. But the problem might've been a combination of things, but I simply don't know for sure.

How experienced are you with building (retro) computers btw?

Report spammers here!