VOGONS

Win98se + MVP3 issues

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 41, by Xnyle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How would I know, i built a lot of those back when they weren't retro 😀 Some things are coming back but I guess most of the knowledge from back then is lost.

Anyway, after the first DoomII session I really think there should be an arduino based mouse/keyboard/joystick emulator. Maybe i586 isn't quite old enough for that though and I have to wait a few more years. The Amigas, C64, Ataris already have those.

If nobody comes up with a better idea, I will probably buy this one:

https://www.amazon.de/LABTEC-Wireless-optical … l/dp/B000BOFZEQ

Only one I could still find at a reasonable price.

Next problem of course will be the joystick.

Reply 41 of 41, by RiP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Xnyle wrote:
Hi Vogons :) […]
Show full quote

Hi Vogons 😀

while trying to get my retro pc working, I stumbled upon this topic.

I'm trying to get a FX5900XT running under Win98SE on a MVP3 Board, Epox EP-51MVP3E.

Newest BIOS, AGP2.0 enabled, 1435 AGP driver installed (had to do it manually via control center, as the setup wizard just copied files?

Then I tried all kinds of Forceware versions, all resulting in the same problem: Whenever I select anything else than VGA, windows wants to restart and then the screen just goes dark. Rebooting results in VGA again.

The card (FX5900XT) works in a i440BX based board, I also get a taskbar notification icon on the taskbar there which I don't get on the AMD board, maybe something just crashes right at the start?

As I can't get the card running on this board, I'm now using an old Radeon 9250 which works perfectly, High color, Full-HD no problem.

The reason I wanted an NVidia card was because I read Ati cards have problems with certain dos VESA modes?

What I want this computer to be is a game machine that can play anything from 1985 to 2000.

So two or three 😀 questions:
1. Any Idea how to get the FX5900 running on that board?
2. If not, suggestions for an alternative, maybe a Radeon 9800XT ?
3. Or would I maybe have a better chance with an older NVidia card, ti4200, mx440 maybe?

Strange! In Win9x, Geforce FX cards work fine with Aladdin V but Radeon 7000/9250 =/
It seems MVP3 doesn't like Nvidia but ATI...