VOGONS

First post, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I've recently received a bundle of old hardware parts and among it were two AST 486 motherboards (AST Premmia - with EISA slots and Bravo
LP), equipped with integrated SX-33 CPUs. Unfortunately, both motherboards had all electrolytic capacitors, some wires connecting ICS on
PCB (AST Premmia M/B) and jumpers stripped down. As far as i know, both M/Bs were working before the stripping. I've been searching for
high ress photos of these motherboards everywhere, but couldn't find any, even bad quality ones, therefore, I have no other choice, but to ask
for help on this retro computing forum.

At this moment i need to figure out:
* capacitor values (I think both motherboards should be using 22uF caps, but prove me wrong);
* missing wiring on Premmia motherboard.

http://i.imgur.com/YKS1IPy.jpg AST Bravo LP
http://i.imgur.com/JFSM1Ra.jpg AST Premmia
http://i.imgur.com/Rz1U47y.jpg Premmia wiring0 (predicting)
http://i.imgur.com/p3iicJ9.jpg Premmia wiring1

I can see traces of the missing wires on PCB, but just partly.

I will update this thread on any progress.

Last edited by SSTV2 on 2021-05-19, 23:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 30, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been working on these motherboards on and off for the past six years, but managed to restore (partially) just the Bravo LP motherboard. It does POST, everything works as intended, except for the video, which almost always outputs wrong colors. I suspect a bad RAMDAC, because other than colors being off, integrated video card causes no other issues.

Some examples:

SR.jpg
Filename
SR.jpg
File size
713.18 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
JAZZ0.jpg
Filename
JAZZ0.jpg
File size
684.3 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
DOOMII.jpg
Filename
DOOMII.jpg
File size
812.5 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The Premmia board is still in non-operational condition, though, thanks to one helpful guy on Ebay, I was able to figure out where the missing patch wires were supposed to go. He was selling a whole system about 2 years ago and I was lucky enough to contact him before the listing had ended (stumbled upon it by an accident), it was THE only time I had seen a full AST Premmia system for sale. I had explained my situation to him and offered cash for the BIOS ROM dump, but he was not tech savvy with the old computers and had absolutely no idea how to make system run and dump BIOS (PC had a leaky battery and needed BIOS reconfigured to boot). That was my closest chance of getting BIOS dump for the AST Premmia motherboard so far.

The situation: Premmia board came with BIOS chip missing and the best part is that AST BIOS ROM update files for the 486 boards (and probably the rest) did not contain the boot block update portion (BIOS update files can be found here). The most important part of the BIOS, in the BIOS update file, is missing. It is responsible for the chipset's initialisation and BIOS recovery when the main block gets corrupted. It contains a program which loads data from BIOS update diskette and flashes BIOS ROM from E000:0000 to E000:BFFF and leaves FC00:000 - FC00:3FFF untouched (boot block starts at FE00:0000). I know this because I had dissected AST Bravo LP's BIOS and disassembled its boot block. Bravo's boot block is not compatible with Premmia's Ti TACT84500 chipset at all.

I know that Premmia board is alive, I had written and flashed a small program into ROM chip, which was supposed to init 8254 timer and make PC speaker beep, it worked 😀

If there are any Vogoners or just about anyone reading this post who owns an AST Premmia 486 PC or just a mainboard with BIOS chip still in place, please dump its BIOS using P. Trauner's "DUMPAT" program and post it here/contact me. I had tested this program with Bravo LP motherboard and the generated file's content matches BIOS dump created using an external programmer 100%. This program will generate a 1MB file, BIOS should be at the very bottom.

I'd recomend to backup BIOS for every AST motherboard out there using this program, because once the ROM chip or boot block gets damaged, you'll end up in my shoes.

Filename
dumpat.zip
File size
8.99 KiB
Downloads
68 downloads
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 3 of 30, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd be thankful If you could upload high-res pictures of LP motherboard from both sides. There is one suspicious area with kapton tape stuck under that motherboard, which might have had a patch wire once.

Reply 4 of 30, by Hinoserm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just unearthed a Premmia 4/33 the other day and came upon your post while I was looking for more info. I've pulled the BIOS chip to make a copy, but unfortunately the lettering has been rubbed off; from what little I can still read, I'm assuming it's a PT28C020. Attached is the dump with this assumption.

Also attached are some pictures that might be helpful. Sorry, I'm not very good at taking pictures.

Please feel free to reach out if you need anything else.

-Hinoserm

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    628.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    1.08 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    1.23 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    AST Premmia 486 4-33 BIOS PT28C020.zip
    File size
    102.26 KiB
    Downloads
    74 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 30, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I cannot BELIEVE my eyes... After six years of searching and numerous attempts to reverse engineer and rebuild a Bravo LP BIOS boot block, an original AST Premmia BIOS finally came to light! The BIOS image you have uploaded here is the only sample for the Ti TACT84500 chipset on the net so far!

THANK YOU!

Reply 6 of 30, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just checked your BIOS image dump and it looks like a real deal (except for size, it should be 128KB), the main BIOS part is of a 2.02 version and the boot block seems to be intact. The original BIOS chip should be an intel 28F001BX-T I think, at least such chip was used on an AST BRAVO MB.

I'm going to set up and test Premmia board this evening as soon as possible.

By the way, I've noticed that some wire patches are wired differently on your board, what mfg. date code is stamped on it?

Reply 7 of 30, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh man, I'm so sorry, I cannot imagine how I forgot about this 🙁

If it's of any help, here are the photos:
https://imgur.com/a/og1N9On

There are 4 patch wires on my board, two on the back and two on the front. Only one is in the video area. I've attached close-ups of those, and can provide alternate angles/details if needed.

Reply 8 of 30, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At first I was stumped, because once board got populated with the newly provided BIOS image, it acted as if BIOS were not there. Motherboard did not emit any beeps and POST card showed absolutely no BIOS activity, though, a customized Bravo boot block still made POST card output at least something, so I knew that BIOS chip and its socket were not to blame, some more serious HW fault was causing BIOS not to init properly...

After a thorough search I've identified two main problems with the board, a damaged resistor pack RP17 had a chipped corner, which separated a +5V power suply to the rest of the resistors in the pack (not a fatal issue) and a loose pin of a U72 chip. Once those two issues were rectified, board came to life at the first power-on 😀

It's alive!

POST.jpg
Filename
POST.jpg
File size
558.34 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
SETUP.jpg
Filename
SETUP.jpg
File size
505.73 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Faulty res-pack.

RP17.jpg
Filename
RP17.jpg
File size
926.73 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Loose last pin on U72 IC made board completely silent.

U72.jpg
Filename
U72.jpg
File size
976.66 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

There are still some unanswered questions regarding wire patches, I'll try to compile all the info I have about them and post my findings here.

Hinoserm, I can't thank you enough, this board is pretty rare/obscure and frankly speaking, I wasn't expecting to see this BIOS dump any time soon, but now a 486 board with an unique EISA chipset can kick-butt once again 😀

Reply 10 of 30, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
quicknick wrote on 2021-05-11, 15:45:
Oh man, I'm so sorry, I cannot imagine how I forgot about this :( […]
Show full quote

Oh man, I'm so sorry, I cannot imagine how I forgot about this 🙁

If it's of any help, here are the photos:
https://imgur.com/a/og1N9On

There are 4 patch wires on my board, two on the back and two on the front. Only one is in the video area. I've attached close-ups of those, and can provide alternate angles/details if needed.

No sweat, photos were not mandatory, I have figured it all out 😉

Reply 11 of 30, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Am sure you already looked into it but supposedly there is a v2.03 bios (05508313.EXE) but all mirrors and files found so far create an unusable disk AFAIK.
Many of the other disk images (inside the .EXE are .IMZ) when found are actually openable with WinImage.
http://web.archive.org/web/19970719190151/htt … bls.htm#Premmia

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 12 of 30, by Hinoserm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Glad it worked for you!

The chassis of the computer is stamped 03-12-1993, but I couldn't see any markings on the PCB to indicate what date/revision the motherboard might be -- I'll try to upload some high-res photos a little later and maybe you can figure it out. Mine does not have the integrated 486SX CPU (there's the spot for it, but not populated) and instead has a CPU installed in the socket.

In the past when I've played with EISA I needed a special setup disk to configure it -- does this machine have that? Does anyone know where to find the disk? I'm assuming I'll also need Windows 3.11 drivers for the onboard video.

Since someone mentioned there's a BIOS update, if you manage to get that working, I would appreciate a new image of the BIOS chip so that I can update mine without overwriting the original chip -- it would be more convenient for me to burn a new one.

-Hinoserm

Reply 13 of 30, by Hinoserm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was able to successfully update the BIOS to 2.03 using the file located at: http://www.sandyflat.net/digerati/ast486/driv … os/05508313.exe

I opened the self-extracting archive in 7Zip, extracted the DISK.IMG, and used WinImage to write it to a diskette. After that, update was performed through the BIOS setup utility. There were no issues.

-Hinoserm

Attachments

Reply 14 of 30, by Hinoserm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

High-res photos of the board. The forum kept trying to recompress them, so they are in .ZIPs.

Attachments

• Filename
    right.zip
    File size
    4.87 MiB
    Downloads
    62 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    left.zip
    File size
    1.89 MiB
    Downloads
    58 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    full.zip
    File size
    4.25 MiB
    Downloads
    61 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 15 of 30, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-05-12, 02:18:

Am sure you already looked into it but supposedly there is a v2.03 bios (05508313.EXE) but all mirrors and files found so far create an unusable disk AFAIK.
Many of the other disk images (inside the .EXE are .IMZ) when found are actually openable with WinImage.

I keep forgetting about the power of archive.org 😀 There is a, mostly working, AST support site on it, which hosts pretty much everything for AST computers, EISA files included, though I'm not sure if those are neccessary for this MB.

Hinoserm wrote on 2021-05-12, 09:58:

I was able to successfully update the BIOS to 2.03 using the file located at: http://www.sandyflat.net/digerati/ast486/driv … os/05508313.exe

I opened the self-extracting archive in 7Zip, extracted the DISK.IMG, and used WinImage to write it to a diskette. After that, update was performed through the BIOS setup utility. There were no issues.

-Hinoserm

According to software bulletin "SB0139.TXT", BIOS version 2.03 added support for "new chipset ATI LX HJ", which is supposed to be a "MACH32-LX" chip. I think they just changed the video BIOS with that release, video benchmarking results should tell if that upgrade is worth it.

Regarding wire patches - there are three main differences between our boards, your MB lacks a wire patch between U56 pin 76 and RP27 pin 6 and a patch that links U26 pin 2 with pin 10, also, your board has a link between U19 pin 9 and U39 pin 6, which my board lacks. Perhaps link U56->RP27 is formed on the bottom side of your board?

U26.jpg
Filename
U26.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

There is still something wrong with that board, it won't show any signs of life with an external CPU installed, CPU does heat up, but MB won't fetch even a single instruction from the BIOS chip, hmm...

Reply 16 of 30, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SSTV2 wrote on 2021-05-13, 01:18:
Horun wrote on 2021-05-12, 02:18:

I keep forgetting about the power of archive.org 😀 There is a, mostly working, AST support site on it, which hosts pretty much everything for AST computers, EISA files included, though I'm not sure if those are neccessary for this MB.

Thanks ! I looked at ari-service.com before but hit some road blocks. Your link at least lets me browse around. Bookmarking it in my AST archives. Thanks again !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 17 of 30, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update:

solved external CPU detection problem, the culprit - bad pin in the CPU socket, it was responsible for A12 line.

SOCKET.jpg
Filename
SOCKET.jpg
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PIN1.jpg
Filename
PIN1.jpg
File size
893.26 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Completely got rid of long patch wires. Wires that were connecting U56 with U57 and U75 got replaced with two 33 Ohm micro SMD resistors (added for series termination), resistors were soldered on existing traces, that were severed during PCB production. A trace between U56 and RP27 was also severed during PCB production and later re-patched with a wire, thus trace only needed to be reconnected.

CUT.jpg
Filename
CUT.jpg
File size
887.06 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
CUT_RES.jpg
Filename
CUT_RES.jpg
File size
831.84 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
NO_WIRES.jpg
Filename
NO_WIRES.jpg
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 18 of 30, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Benchmark results:

This motherboard shows an unusual L1 cache and RAM throughput performance at data write and move operations, memory bandwidth remains unchanged, regardless of the CPU frequency. What could possibly limit memory throughput at such abysmal levels, perhaps chipset's register settings or maybe some remaining harware fault?

PREM25.gif
Filename
PREM25.gif
File size
9.7 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PREM33.gif
Filename
PREM33.gif
File size
9.68 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PREM66.gif
Filename
PREM66.gif
File size
9.78 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PREM100.gif
Filename
PREM100.gif
File size
9.84 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PREM33_SLOW_CACHE_OFF.gif
Filename
PREM33_SLOW_CACHE_OFF.gif
File size
9.08 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

DOOM2 v1.666, TIMEDEMO2 (2001 REALTICS), DETAIL LEVEL - HIGH, HUD ON, NO SOUND, CLEAN DOS:

25MHz - 7855 - 8.92 FPS
33MHz - 5787 - 12.10 FPS
66MHz - 4655 - 15.05 FPS
100MHz - 4466 - 15.68 FPS

Adding anything faster than a 66MHz DX2 to this board would make no sense.

3D Bench v1.0C, Ati MACH32-03 on VL bus, 1MB:

25MHz - 15.0 FPS
33MHz - 20.3 FPS
66MHz - 26.2 FPS
100MHz - 28.1 FPS

Last edited by SSTV2 on 2021-05-19, 23:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 30, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Uploading a "SPEED.EXE", it's a slow down util that has the same memory performance reduction function as BIOS + it can also disable L1 CPU cache.

Filename
SPEED.zip
File size
15.43 KiB
Downloads
54 downloads
File license
Public domain