VOGONS

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up an ASUS CUSL2-C at a local shop the other day. It was a bargain bin find, but the board is in perfect physical shape, so I figured it was worth a shot.

I didn't have any non-Tualatin Socket 370 CPUs on hand, so I bought a Pentium III 1000EB in order to test the board. The CPU was also untested, but looks fine.

Hooked everything up today, and... the power LED comes on, the CPU fan spins, but no beeps, and no POST. Tried two different known good RAM modules, tried two different video cards (one PCI, one AGP), tried removing the BIOS battery... no luck. Power supply is also known good.

I'm not sure whether to suspect the motherboard or the CPU at this point. I'm tempted to order another PIII 1000EB (they're dirt cheap) before giving up on the CUSL2-C. Thoughts?

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 4, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might sound like a stupid question but have you tried reseating the cpu?

Also maybe double check to make sure you wired up the front panel switch header properly on the board.

Reply 2 of 4, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Assuming the speaker is connected correctly, the CPU is working, the BIOS is good and the CPU is able to run it, then it should be able to beep at that point for any other fault that might be occurring.
Since it's not beeping, I think one of the above is failing. Bad BIOS, bad motherboard, bad CPU are all possible.

If you have a voltmeter, you might try checking voltages. At least check the main voltages but if you know how to go about it you could also look for Vcore on the motherboard's VRM.
Make sure there isn't anything seriously wrong with jumper settings. Try resetting the CMOS if that hasn't already been done. I had one Asus board come to life when I held either INS or DEL (can't remember which) while it was powering up. Apparently that resets some things.
Other than that, I can't think of anything else you can try except another CPU. If you happen to have a POST diagnostic card, it might show you whether there's any CPU/BIOS activity taking place.
If the board is in a weak condition, then a low end CPU might be easier for it to boot. But if that's the situation, you might not want it anyway.

Reply 3 of 4, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I reseated everything, including the CPU. I also plugged in all the front panel connectors, not just the power button and PC speaker as I had done previously. No change. Still no beeps, still no POST.

Looking more closely at the CPU, I think it may actually have some physical damage. There's a scratch across the top, and the edge of the die has a tiny chip out of it. I'm going to order another and try again.

PCGames9505

Reply 4 of 4, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a new CPU, and now everything is A-ok. The board posts, boots, and runs benchmarks like a champ. Schweet!

Now, to find a home for this awesome motherboard...

PCGames9505