VOGONS

Reply 20 of 48, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure about 8-bit cards....
I think like the SB-PRO some ESS models can work in an 8-bit slot.
I'd assume its all the non-pnp ones that have manual jumpers.
I could be wrong on that tho, I don't own a XT\286\386 with 8-bit slots to test with.
Someone on these forums should know more.
I do know some ESS cards have beeper inputs, and there spaced correctly, so no hacked cable needed like for the SB. Can use a normal 4-pin CD audio cable.

Reply 22 of 48, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well...
First of all. That is some nice build you did.
That case. I remember those from around 1989 to 1994.
They were mostly sold with 80846dx2's here in Denmark.
They completely vanished right before or after the Pentiums came out.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 23 of 48, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With this talk of hooking the PC speaker through the audio card, I thought I'd give it a shot. What's nice is the same speaker cable on the amp has a disconnect that hooked to the AWE 64 just fine. So now PC speaker sounds are routed through.

brostenen wrote:
Well... First of all. That is some nice build you did. That case. I remember those from around 1989 to 1994. They were mostly so […]
Show full quote

Well...
First of all. That is some nice build you did.
That case. I remember those from around 1989 to 1994.
They were mostly sold with 80846dx2's here in Denmark.
They completely vanished right before or after the Pentiums came out.

Thanks!

That's pretty cool really. Though I am a bit puzzled as well. This case doesn't even have a turbo button, let alone a turbo lamp, it didn't appear to be during the same time as 486 systems to me.

Reply 25 of 48, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robin4 wrote:

Nice build, but why 2x 3.5 floppy drives?

The second was just a filler until I get a bay cover.

Though I was also curious to try the second floppy drive, specifically because it's an actual IDE drive. 😎

but I didn't have an extra power cable for it. 😵

Reply 26 of 48, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

What an unusual case design. Never seen the like around my neck of the woods. Then again, most of the cases I have seen/handled have been towers, not desktops. I just don't like the desktop design, feels too cramped/confined for my taste (sorry about that 😊 ).

soviet conscript wrote:

Id throw a sound card into a PC class machine just for speaker routing if that was an option since most of the games being played on it are pc speaker only and this can be an issue when you want to play in the dead of night and people are sleeping. funny how random loud beeps and boops can anger sleeping girlfriend/spouses.

This is why I'm still single, I can do what I want/please without anyone telling me otherwise. I just close my bedroom door, lock it, and play old PC games to my heart's content 😜

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 27 of 48, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

This is why I'm still single, I can do what I want/please without anyone telling me otherwise. I just close my bedroom door, lock it, and play old PC games to my heart's content 😜

oh, I didn't say I didn't still do it, I just said it pisses them off 😀

Reply 28 of 48, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
soviet conscript wrote:

oh, I didn't say I didn't still do it, I just said it pisses them off 😀

Even more of a reason for me to stay single. I don't need to hear anyone's opinion about my habits - good, bad, or otherwise 😁

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 30 of 48, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
smeezekitty wrote:

Though I was also curious to try the second floppy drive, specifically because it's an actual IDE drive. 😎

Wait...an IDE FLOPPY DRIVE?

Probably a SuperDisk LS-120 drive, which is itself very interesting (never had one of those myself).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 31 of 48, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JayCeeBee64 wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

Probably a SuperDisk LS-120 drive, which is itself very interesting (never had one of those myself).

I have the parallel version somewhere. I never got a chance to test it and now it is lost in the junk room 😒

Reply 32 of 48, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ReeseRiverson wrote:

This case doesn't even have a turbo button, let alone a turbo lamp, it didn't appear to be during the same time as 486 systems to me.

Not every case made up to 1996 had a Turbo button. It's not like they were mandatory 😜 It seems to me that tower cases almost always have a Turbo button, but desktop style cases may or may not have one.

Reply 33 of 48, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JayCeeBee64 wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

Yeah, I believe that's it there! I just never got to play with it. 🤣

devius wrote:
ReeseRiverson wrote:

This case doesn't even have a turbo button, let alone a turbo lamp, it didn't appear to be during the same time as 486 systems to me.

Not every case made up to 1996 had a Turbo button. It's not like they were mandatory 😜 It seems to me that tower cases almost always have a Turbo button, but desktop style cases may or may not have one.

Oh I see. My other desktop cases do have turbo buttons and lamps. Except one which is my 386 Packard Bell, and only has the turbo lamp. No button.

Reply 35 of 48, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Turbo buttons began to appear on 286 systems, were on allmost all 386 systems and began to be fased out by the end of 486 systems.
That's how it was in Denmark, and probably in most of western europe through those periods.

Reply 36 of 48, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
devius wrote:

How do you switch turbo on and off then? 😕

Can't remember what system. Yet I clearly remember systems on wich turbo was applied through keyboard button combinations.
If it was during boot or when Dos ran, I simply can not remember anymore. (the bios reported how, during boot)

Reply 37 of 48, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a similar case with speakers, though mine had a turbo button, LCD display with three digits, 1/4" headphone out and two 1/4" mic ins (with separate level controls), from about 1994.

Anyone know about these? Would love to have one again.

Reply 38 of 48, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Desktops are great. You can stack them. Or put a CRT on top. Plus there is plenty of room. I typically only have a MPU & sound card in any given system. 😀 With OEM desktops everything else is integrated on the MOBO. 😊

Reply 39 of 48, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oerk wrote:

I had a similar case with speakers, though mine had a turbo button, LCD display with three digits, 1/4" headphone out and two 1/4" mic ins (with separate level controls), from about 1994.

Anyone know about these? Would love to have one again.

It sounds like you are talking about something like this that I have:

IMG_2580-800px.jpg

Except I no longer have the LCD MHz screen. 😢