VOGONS

First post, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What the subject says. I'm thinking of selling off my 1999 build (PCChips Slot 1 with Celeron). Do you think I'll fetch more for it as a whole system or should I part it out? I'm most likely going to sell on eBay, but I'm open to trying craigslist. The probability of selling on eBay is higher because I won't likely have much interest in my local area craigslist for a retro gaming system. Thoughts?

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 1 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the build is still the same as your signature then there isn't any highly desirable parts that'll fetch a high price individually. if you want to just get rid of it sell it as a complete system.
That said I don't think there is high demand for complete retro systems. Most people into old hardware want to build up their own system plus the higher shipping costs will scare people away.

now if your selling the Dell, I would definitely part out!

Reply 2 of 10, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking. Yep, it's the same system. I'll probably list it and see what happens. If it doens't sell, I can always use it if the Dell fails.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 3 of 10, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my experience, selling PC's as a complete system fetches up a minimal amount every time. Example; I purchased a retro 486 PC a few months back for $40 AU. This price included a 15" monitor, keyboard, mouse and boxed Wing Commander 1 and Privateer games. I then stripped it completely and sold each individual part individually and made a total of just under $400 AU. This $400 amount didn't include the monitor, keyboard, mouse or games as I still have those. This same PC was an eBay auction which ran for 7 days with only 3 bidders. I find it strange myself but as Chinny said, most retro enthusiasts do prefer building the system themselves to suit their needs.

Reply 4 of 10, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It depends on the value of the parts. When they are bulk generic parts there is no point in parting out. When you have a valuable MOBO, GPU or sound card parting out makes sense.

I am part of the minority who prefer OEM cases.

Reply 6 of 10, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexter311 wrote:
borgie83 wrote:

made a total of just under $400 AU.

That's pretty impressive... what bits were in it?

Hybrid 386/486 motherboard (unknown brand)
Intel DX2-66 cpu
Tseng ET4000 VLB graphics card
Super I/O Multi VLB controller card
Sound Blaster CT1350b w/CMS sound card
3com network card

Plus the case + PSU was in great condition. Case sold for around $70 AU alone as well as the sound blaster for $150 AU.

I also pick up a lot of cheap hardware due to incorrect listing titles/descriptions. Picked up a new condition boxed and complete Voodoo 3500 off eBay a little while back for 99c. All because the US seller had the title description as AGP Grafikkarte. Why he would've listed it as that is beyond me. Another example was a Rage Fury Maxx which was titled as ATI graphics card. Picked that up for $15 US.

Reply 7 of 10, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borgie83 wrote:
Hybrid 386/486 motherboard (unknown brand) Intel DX2-66 cpu Tseng ET4000 VLB graphics card Super I/O Multi VLB controller card S […]
Show full quote
dexter311 wrote:
borgie83 wrote:

made a total of just under $400 AU.

That's pretty impressive... what bits were in it?

Hybrid 386/486 motherboard (unknown brand)
Intel DX2-66 cpu
Tseng ET4000 VLB graphics card
Super I/O Multi VLB controller card
Sound Blaster CT1350b w/CMS sound card
3com network card

Plus the case + PSU was in great condition. Case sold for around $70 AU alone as well as the sound blaster for $150 AU.

I also pick up a lot of cheap hardware due to incorrect listing titles/descriptions. Picked up a new condition boxed and complete Voodoo 3500 off eBay a little while back for 99c. All because the US seller had the title description as AGP Grafikkarte. Why he would've listed it as that is beyond me. Another example was a Rage Fury Maxx which was titled as ATI graphics card. Picked that up for $15 US.

Soundblaster with CMS and ET40000. 'nuf said

Reply 8 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A whole system won't get as much money as parts, but if you have a lot of parts that you want to get rid of fast and don't mind taking less for them then building systems is the way to go.

Reply 9 of 10, by duncan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

making the experience that parts is better as well. Not necessarily for the money, but for selling at all. Got "order" to clean out the storage room and built a few machines - but even the PVI-486SP3 with Am5x86 doesn´t sell completed...a few CPUs went, some adapter cards, but not a single complete PC!
Will take all to bits and pieces again...imagining the time and work I had put into assembling, setting up and streamlining every system - no fun really to take apart everything....

greetings, duncan

Gibt es hier Freiburger? Interessiert an Kontakten.

Reply 10 of 10, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I imagine complete systems would more practically be gotten rid of via local Craigslist. Parts through eBay. What little experience I have selling on eBay indicates there's little interest in miscellaneous hardware though. Interesting stuff iis what we want and that makes sense.