VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello again guys, a while back I bought a Sound Blaster Vibra 16 with on board OPL but the card seems... I don't know, a bit lacking I guess. It seems less bassy than the Aztech card I took out of the computer and I can't (and won't) go back to using the Aztech so what is a good full sounding bassy Sound Blaster 16?

To be clear it's not the digitized sound that's lacking it's the FM midi music. It just seems less in your face. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 4 of 29, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are several different Vibra Chips: Vibra, Vibra Pro, Vibra 16S, Vibra 16C, Vibra 16XV. The Vibra Pro CT2502 Chip combined with OPL3 is a good one. 16S is acceptable. Don't know about the Vibra original, don't care about the C and XV.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 29, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine is the Vibra 16C, I got it for a pittence off ebay so I thought I'd throw some cash at getting a real sound blaster. Thanks for the advice guys. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 6 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
borgie83 wrote:

I also highly recommend the CT2230. Easily the best SB16 out there IMO.

+1

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 29, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I'll second what PeterLI and others have said and add one of my own, the CT1750 - Multi-CD version of the CT1740:

awYLYJLl.png

Has good, bassy sound when compared with the Vibra 16C CT2960 that I also have.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 9 of 29, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CT2230 or 2290 seem to be the most loved SB16's.

Some CT29xx cards with a real YMF262 and based on Vibra chipset apparently have good SnR characteristics.

Reply 10 of 29, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I, for one, really love my CT2940 with OPL3. It's got a very nice sound to it, and I'd say it's almost as good as my CT1740. Other models in the CT29xx range that have genuine OPL would probably be the same.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 11 of 29, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Out of curiosity, I checked out the CT2940 and I noticed that the CT1978 chip comes in 2 versions. CT1978-TAP and CT1978-BAP. What's the difference? I also looked at several images and couldn't see any with an OPL chip. Does the CT1978 contain OPL/CQM? Lastly, anyone had any experience with the hanging note bug using this card?

Reply 12 of 29, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a CT2230 and am happy with it, but the Vibra16S (with OPL3) is also a decent card and is designed to use with a Goldfinch card, the addition of which makes for a great AWE32 setup for very little money. The Vibras have the hanging note bug though.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 13 of 29, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borgie83 wrote:

Out of curiosity, I checked out the CT2940 and I noticed that the CT1978 chip comes in 2 versions. CT1978-TAP and CT1978-BAP. What's the difference? I also looked at several images and couldn't see any with an OPL chip. Does the CT1978 contain OPL/CQM? Lastly, anyone had any experience with the hanging note bug using this card?

zi3ZJoS.png

Here's my CT2940. I've circled the two Yamaha chips (YMF289-B, the OPL synth itself; and the YAC516 or 513 - can't remember exactly - DAC). Also, the CT2940 without OPL (unfortunately) seems to be the more common of the two. Not sure what the difference is between the TAP and BAP. I don't remember ever having the hanging note bug with this card.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 14 of 29, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had a look on eBay for a CT2940 containing the yamaha chips you circled but all 17 listings don't have these chips at all unfortunately. Wanted to purchase one to do a comparison with my CT2230.

Reply 15 of 29, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borgie83 wrote:

Lastly, anyone had any experience with the hanging note bug using this card?

I've kept my CT2940 as my "hanging notes testing card" because the hanging note problem is much worse on this one than on any other SB16 card I ever owned.

Reply 16 of 29, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday I picked up a SB Ct2940 from a local PC/Electronics shop. I bought one off ebay some time ago for my Pentium Socket 7 machine, but it was missing something this one has... 😀

2vdjjme.jpg

hsosj4.jpg

Reply 17 of 29, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just purchased a CT2940 with OPL from eBay so I'm going to test it out once I receive it.

I'm curious though, what are the 5 chips on the left hand side of the card? I've noticed that they're featured on some OPL versions as well as non OPL versions yet missing on some versions as well. Example; Sutekh94's CT2940 has them yet Dave343's does not.

Reply 18 of 29, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the original topic.

Depends on purpose. older cards might not have the hnb, but they are much, much noisier than the 2940. This is obvious when using hi fi headphones or a good amp with fitting speakers. Lack of bass etc can be compensated outside the card, noisy analogue output cannot be so easily amended.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 19 of 29, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
borgie83 wrote:

I'm curious though, what are the 5 chips on the left hand side of the card?

These are there for the IDE interface.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul