VOGONS

First post, by compgeke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I grabbed this today for nothing, mainly because "Hey, 8-bit Soundblaster!" The difference, however, is it has the Quickshot Sound Machine labeling on it but not the same as the picture that's been posted here before. That one had silkscreening for Sound Machine and Quickshot whereas this one just has labels stuck over the Creative silkscreening.

My question is: Is this one here a real CT1350 that's just rebadged or is it an early one before tooling was switched over?

Here's some pics of the card in question:
l_dmh_jpg.jpg

l_mdv_jpg.jpg

Sorry for the odd angle, easier for lighting this way. You can see here the Sound Machine label stuck over the SoundBlaster silkscreen.
l_wf9_jpg.jpg

Here you can see the Creative\Quickshot label stuck over the Creative silkscreening. More interestingly the silkscreen says "Singapore" but the label has some super great English with "Make in Hong Kong".
l_swj_jpg.jpg

Reply 1 of 3, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well its obviously a real Sound Blaster that was labeled after. It worked in a production or there was an error and the factory produced more cards than the client asked.

Either way Sound Machines are likely licensed clones, so they pretty much use the same PCB as Sound Blaster 2.0's. Usually the sockets for CMS chips were not soldered during fabbing process. My best guess is that if someone puts the sockets or solder the CMS chips directly in there and as long as the Sound Machine clone has a CT1336 (without A at the end) bus chip, CMS is gonna work there too.

Reply 2 of 3, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not really sure about Quickshot version. But my guess is that either way, they are the same. Sound Machine just being rebranded. Not sure why, but maybe Creative didn't have a _name_ back then.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 3, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quickshot was an established brand name back then, they just close a deal with Creative and got soundblasters to sell on their own with their own brand on them.
And it is true, Quickshot was a way bigger brand than Creative back then.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website