VOGONS

First post, by tametick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I have a super socket 7 based build with an amd k6 cpu & didn't have a suitable heatsink, so I've used an old socket A athelon heatsink+fan (designed for much hotter running CPUs than the 15.4w max tdp k6 @ 300mhz).

It fits fine on top of the CPU with some thermal paste, but the latches aren't the same as the socket 7 ones. In addition to the thermal paste I've secured it with some sellotape(scotch tape) around the heat-sink and up to the top of the enclosure on both sides:

Filename
2014-12-21 15.19.34.jpg
File size
398.9 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

In cyan i've marked where it's connected to the power supply and in magenta is where I've put a wedge of polystyrene so that the heatsink doesn't touch the power supply. The computer is lying on its side so gravity isn't working against me and a day after it's very firmly secured (can't easily move it with my finger, but i didn't try applying much force of course). Do you think this jerry rigging is going to hold? I haven't turned on the computer yet since I'm waiting for the agp card to arrive from ebay (I have no way of getting video output till then).

Reply 1 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can cut the clip and save the money, to compensate for the IHS given that is a Socket A cooler you may need to bend the clip as well then it will mount properly. This is why socket 370 coolers are preferred as they will mount with no fuss on pretty much anything P3 and older.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 7, by tametick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cut it how? What sort of tool do I need for that? What is an "IHS"? Tried to search online about fitting a socket A cooler (the box actually said it was for A, 7 & 370) on a socket 7 motherboard but it seems it was all about more modern sockets.

Reply 3 of 7, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IHS is the metal piece ontop of the K6\whatevercpu with all the writing. Its a mini heatsink between the core and your heatsink.
Athlon thunderbirds don't have one and catch on fire with no heatsink attached since they run so hot 🤣 There are actual youtube videos of this 😁 .

I've never removed an IHS from any cpu, its just not worth it for a few degrees, and you risk destroying the cpu, depending on the method used to secure the IHS.
Get another heatsink with more slack in the clip.
Bending it won't likely work with what your describing. I've ran into that problem before.
You don't need a massive sink for a K6, socket5-7 sinks with thumb clips can be found for very cheap still new on ebay\amazon.
http://www.directron.com/fan-p-ss7.html
this one for example which has a delta fan on it, even tho it says foxconn sticker.

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2014-12-21, 16:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Really bad idea, sellotape will dry out and hold nothing ...
You need to find another heatsink or use some thermal-conductive glue and fix it permanently on the cpu .

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website