VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Useful as it is, I rarely bother with marketing bull for free software. I'll code it up, drop a mention, and leave each person to decide for themselves. Also, check out rallysported, RallySportED, the track editor for the DOS game Rally-Sport. I'm writing a browser/javascript version of it now and it's amazing.

Reply 21 of 22, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know people / companies even Youtubers, which are more time on advertising and pr and anything else.. its problem even in science, where i saw lots of time spent on fancy prensentations, speeches etc.. to get grants and actually to do something scientific.. But completely ignore it is bad idea too, maybe you can find some user who can help you. We are overwhelmed of lots of possibilities some clear good quick summary, sample what some program can do is essential.. I matters even where, some threads with suboptimal names or not so good first posts are almost ignored, even when rest of thread is really nice.
Back to youtubers some of them really dont produce anything interesting from information value point, but because they are "funny / have presentation etc.. have much more views.. than people which are doing some actual complicated things, which youtube at best reusing to make profit, be "famost" and often mispresent and barely mention sources etc..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 22 of 22, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having to market a piece of software you made isn't inherent in the set of problems you need to solve as a software creator. I think people get a bit blind to this. In my spare time, I'm not in a position where I have to get people to use vcs - it's more like, I'm happy when it benefits others, which is what I worked to make it public for, and I'll spread the word here and there, too. It's a problem if no one is using it, but that's not the case for vcs.

Making vcs more accessible with good documentation is another matter. But as I said, it's extra work, and if I'm picking up the tab, it has to wait until I can afford it.