VOGONS

First post, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi all..
For overall DOS gaming, is the AWE32 better than the AWE64?
My reason for asking, is that the AWE64 does not contain the OPL3 chip, as to some (not all) AWE32's have this chip.
The AWE32 can do MIDI/Wavetable as well as the AWE64 can.
The AWE32 can do real OPL, as compared to the AWE64, wich emulates OPL just as some Vibra cards do.

All in all... Is the AWE32 just not a better choice for Dos gaming, is sollutions such as MT32 is out of reach?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 7, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awe32 does not fit a lot of modern cases, so awe64 may be more practical.

My awe32 has a daughterboard header iirc, which awe64 doesn't have i think. Cue hanging note debate...

There's also rca jacks on awe64 gold, and an spdif header. Neither of which interest me, though the rca jacks mean you may need an adapter to 3.5mm.

Reply 3 of 7, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think there is one simple answer to this. It's a matter of needs and preference. If you like OPL sound, and want genuine OPL, then the AWE32 is better.
If you try to avoid OPL wherever possible, and want higher quality connectors (RCA vs. those horrid mini jacks) then the AWE64 GOLD is better.
For games that support native AWE sound, they are probably pretty much the same.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 7, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's what I thought as well, when asking this question.
Taking everything in account, I think it is a question wether it should be the old 32 or the never 64 GOLD edition.
For me, asking about these cards for use in DOS gaming. I was simply thinking of wether the 32 is a better choice.
When used in an older DOS box. Let's say a 80486dx2 using games up until 1994/96.
Most of the really old games, supports OPL, yet not SB16, and I know SB-Pro cards are probably better for this.
I just see the AWE32 as a better card, supporting more games the right way, compared to the AWE64.
The AWE64-Gold is of course a better choice, looking at the sound quality, as compared to the AWE32's compatibility.

For the case issue.... Well.. That is a different question, as I have two of such cases at home. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5 of 7, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
That's what I thought as well, when asking this question. Taking everything in account, I think it is a question wether it shoul […]
Show full quote

That's what I thought as well, when asking this question.
Taking everything in account, I think it is a question wether it should be the old 32 or the never 64 GOLD edition.
For me, asking about these cards for use in DOS gaming. I was simply thinking of wether the 32 is a better choice.
When used in an older DOS box. Let's say a 80486dx2 using games up until 1994/96.
Most of the really old games, supports OPL, yet not SB16, and I know SB-Pro cards are probably better for this.
I just see the AWE32 as a better card, supporting more games the right way, compared to the AWE64.
The AWE64-Gold is of course a better choice, looking at the sound quality, as compared to the AWE32's compatibility.

For the case issue.... Well.. That is a different question, as I have two of such cases at home. 😀

As I said, I think it comes down to "Do you like the sound of OPL FM-synthesis, or don't you?"
If you don't, then having genuine OPL isn't going to matter. Personally, I never liked it much, and I still don't, despite a slight tingle in my "nostalgia-nerve" when I hear OPL music.
If, on the other hand, you really like the sound of genuine OPL, then I think the answer is simple...
Sound Blaster Pro 2 😜
Naw, I jest. If you DO want the real OPL sound, then an AWE32 is going to be the better choice.

Personally, I think having an AWE64 is just as good, because to me FM sound is a last resort, and for that the EMU8000 emulation is good enough.
That being said, in my 486, I have an SB16 (for compatibility) and a GUS. And that SB16 has real OPL.
In the case of only having a single sound card though, like I do in my K6-III system, then I've gone with an AWE64 Gold.
The RCA's makes it easier to plug into an amplifier and generally have fewer issues than mini-jacks.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 6 of 7, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CT3670, is just an awe64 with simm slots and an SB32 model number, making it an easy upgrade to 32mb, it has an SB32 model number but, really look at it.
Best choice if you can't use your older awe32 with opl because its flakey or failed randomly.
I paired one with a SBPRO-2 for OPL-3 and they get along well enough.

Reply 7 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are using a system for playing games of the mid to late 1990s, then you probably will not be using OPL that much and should use an AWE64.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog