VOGONS

Reply 80 of 89, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No issues on this box using Thunar in XFCE transferring file via sneakernet to my 286. Mind you it's put together out of a hodge podge of components of varying ages.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 81 of 89, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rick6 wrote:
feipoa wrote:

Dual Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz running at 1.5 GHz. It is my everyday, and my only everyday, computer. Has 3 GB of RAM, which I suppose is on the small side by today's standards. It does everything *I* need it to do and see no desire to upgrade until it no longer does everything I need it to.

Tell me that you have a ati 4670 AGP to go with it!
I actually tried to manage not long ago with a Athlon XP 2600+ oced and a nvidia 7800GS, 3GB of ram and even some websites rendering looked painful but i guess that if you can handle with that it can still be useful. Problem is that a single core x86 can get 100% often most of the time than not.

I was thinking to put some ATI 4xxx card in my Tualatin box at some point, but according to several posts here SSE2 is required for flash acceleration to work so it wouldn't be *that* useful. I suppose depending on the settings even most games will run faster with older cards and drivers with lower CPU overhead. Since I don't use that box for web browsing any more it doesn't matter anyway.

Reply 82 of 89, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only computer I use daily is my main rig (a Phenom 2), but I do use one older A64 XP rig on a regular basis for playing movies (it got regulated to that role after for some reason my SC4 install on that rig got knackered), Athlon 64, 2GB DDR-400, 80GB SATA drive (with only 2 or 3 GB free space 🤣 ), but it's still very snappy and boots up really fast.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 83 of 89, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

Thing is, I already had about 1000% in my diet, my guts simply don't absorb it so I have to be injected for the rest of my life, they really didn't want to do that though and weren't happy until I could hardly walk and it started to greatly affect my vision, also I may have permanently lost sensation in my fingertips and they think I've developed a gastric ulcer. Not much fun, hopefully nothing goes wrong this year.

That sucks. 😜 i don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure I have an ulcer of some sort as well, in fact I actually just saw my doctor about it this morning. I'm surprised they didn't bother to treat you until now, but I've never had to deal with the NHS before.

Back on topic, I recently decided to activate the Q-Fan feature in my bios, and I'm pleasantly surprised with how much quieter my PC is. Not only that, but my temps aren't significantly higher either. Once I can afford it, I want to switch my video card over to a passive cooler. I'm also pleasantly surprised with how well my PC handles Goat Simulator, especially considering that I'm running it under Linux. Core 2 Duos are still very, very usable as daily drivers.

Reply 85 of 89, by barbucha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dell Lattitude D610 with Intel Pentium M cpu as PS3 media server and to backup and synchronize my beloved PSION 5MX machine (still in active everyday use its best piece of hardware ive ever seen).

Reply 86 of 89, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Celeron, 2Gb RAM with Windows 7 + MPC-HC + Yandex.browser as home theater
486 DX with DOS 6.22 as retrogaming consolle
Pentium 4 with Windows XP to check mail, scan, write and print documents

Reply 87 of 89, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something I put together quick:

Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.8GHz
1GB RAM DDR2
Biostar P4M900-M7
3x DVD-ROMS
Premier LC-B400ATX PSU (had a even worse PSU before,this one is at least modded a bit)
80GB WDC WD800JD-60LSA5 SATA (my other WD800JD is fried)
3.5" Alpine floppy drive

Most of the stuff is integrated,including GPU.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 88 of 89, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Asus EEEPC 701 4G with linux i bought in december 2007 (Celeron M 353, 512MB DDR2, 4GB SSD, 7" LCD)

asus_eee_pc_701_or_901.jpg

the reason i bought the very first so called netbook, was that at the time people still had 1 computer and sometimes i needed a 2nd pc to work with, especially when the other i was fixing had the windows broken. When you have to go to 5-6 clients every day you need efficiency and this made sense.

about 5 years ago i went to a lan party with this netbook, everyone tought i was crazy but it served very well with a external hard drive and played 12hs straight of ut99, age 2, soldat, starcraft and counter strike.

Sadly i dont use it too much today, in part because today we have many ways to connect to internet and some other tools that make the work much easier, plus its slow as hell due to the soldered 4GB SSD (the 900 has the mini pci-e for the SSD, aside from that is the same specs with a 9" lcd, with a 32GB SSD this netbook is WAY faster than the 701)

Reply 89 of 89, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just upgraded to a Compaq Presario 2800 for my work laptop. Thinkpad 770 shall be relegated to a purely Win95 game role now 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1