VOGONS

First post, by Billyray520

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was lucky in that only one computer in my collection (the AM386-40) used the soldered in 3.6 V Ni-Cad. I was doubly lucky in that it never leaked, even though I had misplaced the computer for almost 15 yrs! When I finally found it again, and fired it up, it actually still worked. After upgrading the RAM, the hdd's, the cache, Windows (from 3.10 to 3.11), added a network card and a SB Pro II card, I started noticing that I was losing quite a lot of time between bootups. I knew the Ni-Cad battery was a ticking time bomb with the leakage issue, but it still worked, it wasn't leaking yet, and I dreaded the thought of completely removing the mobo from the case (the only way I could remove the battery correctly.) Then there was the issue of exactly what was needed to replace the battery.

I was lucky again, in that this Acer Motherboard already had the usual 4 pin "External battery" connector. I was unlucky though, in that I didn't have a clue as to how it should be connected to the battery. As it turned out, removing the mobo wasn't as bad a job as I thought. Removing the battery itself was simple enough. Using copper braid, I soaked up the solder, then pried up each side while applying the soldering iron. It removed cleanly without any issues. Next, after some trial and error, I decided to use 6 volts or 2 x CR2032 button cells in a neat little package that could be velcroed to the case. There was some more trial and error before getting the battery connections right, but no harm done, and I did find the right layout. After doing all this I noticed my CMOS was ok, but I was still losing time! I discovered that the battery negative side had to be grounded to keep the RTC running. Once I added a ground wire to the negative side, all was good as new! 😀 Some shots below. How about your retro mobo?

sm386batt1.jpg
sm386batt2.jpg
sm386batt3.jpg

Retro stuff owned since new

• 386 20Mhz 2MB DOS 3.3/PC-MOS 4.0
  • AMD 386 40Mhz 32MB Win 3.11 DOS 5.0
  • 486DX-2 66Mhz 128MB Win 95b
  • PIII 450Mhz 768MB Win 98SE
  • PIV 2Ghz 2GB Win XP/Ubuntu 10

Reply 1 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool! I guess we have to deal with batteries at some stages 😀

I use a mix of strategies. On many 386 boards I use external battery packs. Now I don't have actual PCs I work with test bench setups so it doesn't have to be placed somewhere inside a case.

One motherboard I found a replacement of the rechargeable battery and soldered it in. Another board uses a RTC module. I de-soldered it, put in a socket and got replacement RTC modules from eBay.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 11, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

I only use MOBOs with CR2032 batteries.

Well that's one way to do it.
But honestly the external battery connectors are not that hard to adapt a battery holder.

I avoid the RTC chips like the plague though

Reply 6 of 11, by Billyray520

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Half-Saint wrote:

Just one question, why 6 volts?

On my mobo, and many others like it, the RTC will work with between 3-6 volts. Having 6 volts means it will take longer for the battery to drain to the point of needing a replacement.

Retro stuff owned since new

• 386 20Mhz 2MB DOS 3.3/PC-MOS 4.0
  • AMD 386 40Mhz 32MB Win 3.11 DOS 5.0
  • 486DX-2 66Mhz 128MB Win 95b
  • PIII 450Mhz 768MB Win 98SE
  • PIV 2Ghz 2GB Win XP/Ubuntu 10

Reply 7 of 11, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Billyray520 wrote:
Half-Saint wrote:

Just one question, why 6 volts?

On my mobo, and many others like it, the RTC will work with between 3-6 volts. Having 6 volts means it will take longer for the battery to drain to the point of needing a replacement.

Keep in mind deep discharged batteries are more likely to leak

Reply 8 of 11, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

I only use MOBOs with CR2032 batteries.

386 and lower are not so common with CR2032 batteries.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000