VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys, this is probably dumb but I really don't remember whether or not when you install more RAM in a system you have to configure something special or will Windows automatically see it and know what to do with it like on most modern systems?

In this case I'm talking about Windows 95 on an old Packard Bell 812CD. I just did a fresh install but realized it only has 16MB of RAM in it and it's not the quickest thing on the planet so I'm thinking maxing out the RAM at 72MB would help out a bit. 😜

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 4 of 18, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah Windows will see the RAM as long as it works with the machine - I've seen some machines that will cry and make you go into the BIOS if the installed memory value changes (just enter BIOS -> save and exit and it clears). I think since XP (I say "I think" because I don't know about ME) it may also prompt re-activation if it sees system memory size change. Shouldn't be a problem at all though for Win95 or Win98. I would think stepping it up to 72MB would help it very much as well; go for it!

Reply 5 of 18, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try to find out the size of the cache-able area of the motherboard cache. It might be 64 MB but that's just a guess. If you go over performance will suffer. But this should up in benchmarks so make sure you benchmark something before and after. Windows benchmarks, like a game, are quite add for this as they are quite cache sensitive.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 18, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

Yeah Windows will see the RAM as long as it works with the machine - I've seen some machines that will cry and make you go into the BIOS if the installed memory value changes (just enter BIOS -> save and exit and it clears). I think since XP (I say "I think" because I don't know about ME) it may also prompt re-activation if it sees system memory size change. Shouldn't be a problem at all though for Win95 or Win98. I would think stepping it up to 72MB would help it very much as well; go for it!

Windows XP doesn't require activation on memory changes.
I think it is only motherboard changes. Maybe on a CPU change or BIOS flash and maybe not even that.

Reply 7 of 18, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

Try to find out the size of the cache-able area of the motherboard cache. It might be 64 MB but that's just a guess. If you go over performance will suffer. But this should up in benchmarks so make sure you benchmark something before and after. Windows benchmarks, like a game, are quite add for this as they are quite cache sensitive.

The only consumer Pentium machines that SOMETIMES contained the 11-bit RAM tag were the 430HX boards (which only used EDO DIMMs). VX and prior are stuck with a crippled cache. I haven't even seen a pentium 1 board to date with the good cache tag...

Since that PBell is not Triton II HX, I have a feeling performance will be hit a *tiny tiny* bit if it goes to 72 MB. Performance gets incrementally worse as the total memory gets farther past 64 MB.

Note: yeah Intel had high end P1 cache controllers that go beyond 64 MB, but you won't find those in PBells or many machines for that matter.

(something funny-- just as intel deliberately crippled the pentiums to 64 MB of RAM-- so too have they crippled the Core i7s to 64 GB of RAM)

Reply 8 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well that's lucky anyhow since I only had 40mb ram laying around. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 9 of 18, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(something funny-- just as intel deliberately crippled the pentiums to 64 MB of RAM-- so too have they crippled the Core i7s to 64 GB of RAM)

That seems stupid since there were several 486 boards that could cache 128MB

Reply 12 of 18, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

I think it is only motherboard changes. Maybe on a CPU change or BIOS flash and maybe not even that.

Here's a detailed article that explains how WPA works: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm Changing memory can absolutely prompt a re-activation request from the system, and I've seen this happen multiple times in the past. This won't affect Windows 9x, which does include ME, and upon a bit of further reading it appears IA-64 systems do not feature or support WPA. 🤣

Reply 13 of 18, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

Here's a detailed article that explains how WPA works: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm Changing memory can absolutely prompt a re-activation request from the system, and I've seen this happen multiple times in the past. This won't affect Windows 9x, which does include ME, and upon a bit of further reading it appears IA-64 systems do not feature or support WPA. 🤣

hmmm

I have changed memory configurations on XP machines many times without requiring activation

Reply 14 of 18, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

hmmm

I have changed memory configurations on XP machines many times without requiring activation

As a single change it may not trigger WPA. Also iirc VLKs don't follow the same activation rules as retail, if that's relevant to your situation.

Reply 15 of 18, by Billyray520

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

I have one. 😀 It's a Gateway 2000 Anigma board with a 486 DX2 @66Mhz. I have 128 MB of RAM and 256k L2 cache. What I wonder is, can I go from non-parity to parity RAM without upsetting Windows 95? I upgraded my RAM with 128 MB of Parity RAM from 96 MB of non-parity RAM. I have to change a jumper on the mobo to enable parity, which I have been hesitant to do. 😒

Retro stuff owned since new

• 386 20Mhz 2MB DOS 3.3/PC-MOS 4.0
  • AMD 386 40Mhz 32MB Win 3.11 DOS 5.0
  • 486DX-2 66Mhz 128MB Win 95b
  • PIII 450Mhz 768MB Win 98SE
  • PIV 2Ghz 2GB Win XP/Ubuntu 10

Reply 16 of 18, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Billyray520 wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

I have one. 😀 It's a Gateway 2000 Anigma board with a 486 DX2 @66Mhz. I have 128 MB of RAM and 256k L2 cache. What I wonder is, can I go from non-parity to parity RAM without upsetting Windows 95? I upgraded my RAM with 128 MB of Parity RAM from 96 MB of non-parity RAM. I have to change a jumper on the mobo to enable parity, which I have been hesitant to do. 😒

I wouldn't worry. Windows (especially pre-NT Windows) doesn't really care about the low level details.
All the OS worries about is that memory is a big pool where it can address and store data
and that what was previously put at a particular address is still there next time it is read.

My 486 board also says that it supports 128 RAM cached but I haven't had a chance to try it

Reply 17 of 18, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
raymangold wrote:

i7 920 only supports 24GB...

Reply 18 of 18, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Living wrote:
raymangold wrote:

i7 920 only supports 24GB...

This is only partly true. I've read several reports online about people running 48GB on socket 1366 i7 cpus. When Intel specifies memory limitations for their CPUs they strangely enough seem to take into account the largest ram modules available at the time of release. So although Intel specifies 24GB as the limit for i7 920, it is possible to use more.
This is still less than the 64GB that raymangold mentions though 😉

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.