Quake on a P75

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:
good job but i test quake a bit differently. i used a more intensive bigass demo which is about 25% slower than quake's builtin […]
Show full quote
philscomputerlab wrote:

Excel version attached!

good job but i test quake a bit differently. i used a more intensive bigass demo which is about 25% slower than quake's builtin demos, and i used winquake which may provide better performance than the dos version, especially on newer computers.
you can also have a look at my tests here:
my socket7 cpu benchmark results

The benchmark results are to compare relative performance between systems. The idea is for others to compare their systems with entries in the database to see if the machine performs on the expected level or if there are any issues.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 21 of 32, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

dave343, what was your timedemo1 frame rate at 320x200 with sound enabled? Approx. 20-22 fps?
I beleive you will see significant improvement with a Voodoo2 or 3. A Cyrix 5x86-133 at 640x480 in software mode scores around 5.5 fps. With a Voodoo3 at 640x480+ using GLQuake, the timedemo1 score jumped all the way up to 24.3 fps with sound enabled.

At 320x200 in software mode, the score is approx. 18 fps with a Cyrix 5x86-133 or 21 fps with a POD-83 (sound enabled).

EDIT: Am5x86-160 performs about the same as a Cyrix 5x86-133 when using a Voodoo3 in GLQuake.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 22 of 32, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
armankordi wrote:
dave343 wrote:

I hate having a K6-2 system with 512mb ram, and a 1mb video card.

🤣

My cousin's old Pentium 3 1GHz Coppermine-T had 256MB DDR and a 1MB Trident 9440... Not shitting you..

How the hell did a system like that end up with a 1MB Trident? 🤣 Was it just a temporary replacement for a card that died, or a leftover from a previous build?

Reply 24 of 32, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried a few PCI sound cards on my 486 with GLQuake, however I received the best frame rates with an ISA AWE64.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 25 of 32, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

I tried a few PCI sound cards on my 486 with GLQuake, however I received the best frame rates with an ISA AWE64.

glquake is older than winquake, i suppose that they didn't make any use of windows directsound hardware acceleration, just basic waveout.

Reply 26 of 32, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:

glquake is older than winquake

Actually GLQuake has several versions newer than the March 97 WinQuake (and winquake did have a jan 97 release at one point, but then so did GL), the sound backend should still be the same though (which does use Directsound, and can be explicitly set to waveout with -wavonly)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 27 of 32, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Actually GLQuake has several versions newer than the March 97 WinQuake

last official released glquake from id is 0.97, which was in jan1997.
there is a 0.98 also from id, but unfinished as development had stopped in Alpha stage.
the rest are all modifications by fans that i usually don't count in.

Reply 28 of 32, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You sure?

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/unsup/

The earliest GLQuake here is from March 97 (glq3_28.zip) and the latest is November 97 (glq1114.exe). They are all 'unsupported' and are from id themselves. Later versions improve stability, 2d sizes and fixes the sprite problems

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 29 of 32, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

You sure?

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/unsup/

The earliest GLQuake here is from March 97 (glq3_28.zip) and the latest is November 97 (glq1114.exe). They are all 'unsupported' and are from id themselves. Later versions improve stability, 2d sizes and fixes the sprite problems

well looks you are right, i just got some incorrect data source.
the 1114 is probably a version number by date, and in the game it still displays v0.97. the abandoned v0.98 has a date of nov1998, so i guess that the in-game version number(0.97 or 0.98) is just by year.

i also looked at winquake readme, it says that it makes use of directsound by default, but only to provide lower sound latency, at the cost of higher cpu usage and slower fps than waveout. looks its not making good use of hardware sound acceleration after all.

Reply 31 of 32, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Used to play Quake on my beloved Pentium 60 which was equipped with a Cirrus video card. Timerefresh in the start room was "12.xx fps". I added a Voodoo2 later but it still was too much for it. Nonetheless my favorite setup.

Btw, first time i saw it running on a P200MMX I nearly fell out of my chair.

Reply 32 of 32, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I saw Quake screens when I already had the K62-350. From my 386SX-20, everything in beetwen was basically unknown to me in those years. I remember playing Doom into a 486DX2-66 SVGA mode and it really was something.. But... considering my previous graphic memories were on 8 bit consoles nothing will ever beat the sensation to see Stunts/4D Driving into a 486SX-33 when i didn't even have a pc. Those were times...