VOGONS

Reply 20 of 36, by DoomGuy II

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, so far I've tried the oldest driver I could find (28.32). Windows froze on start up. Gonna keep trying a few more of these.

If anything, unless I get advice on how I can get the GF2TI working properly, I'll just have to go back to the Voodoo 3 and find out an easier way to fix the freaking issue with Need for Speed SE and the fuzzy effect in Terminal Velocity.

Official Website: https://dg410.duckdns.org/

Reply 21 of 36, by DoomGuy II

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I nailed it! Just ran Flight Simulator 98 in 3D mode and got me into the cockpit without problems. Using version 41.09. Haven't tried any other games though, but if it can run FS98, then it should at least indicate that it's working properly. Results may vary of course.

EDIT: Nevermind. It actually froze just a few minutes afterwards. Oh well, gotta keep trying.

Reply 22 of 36, by DoomGuy II

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, after relentless tries with drivers, I just gave up and went back to the Voodoo 3. I'm gonna have to find ways into fixing these few issues with that card.

Reply 23 of 36, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really have no problems on my p5a and geforce2ti...

I use a revision 1.04 board. I also have a 1.06 version but didn't try it with a geforce2.
Revision 1.06 does not support the mobile k6-2+ and k6-3+ cpu's but otherwise they should perform identical? 1.06 has the newer revision Ali V chipset.

I would try another memory stick and or different psu, just to rule it out. I'm using one 128mb pc133 cl3 stick @ 100mhz cl2 and a 350w psu.

V3 is not pushed very hard by a k6-2 system so it should be fine with the stock heatsink. Adding an extra cooler will never hurt...

Tomorrow i will try nfs se on my v3 p3 system but i think it works just as well on that.

Which voodoo3 do you have? Maybe it is a 2000 flashed to 3000 and the card can't handle the speed anymore? Just a wild guess...

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 25 of 36, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DoomGuy II wrote:

Well, after relentless tries with drivers, I just gave up and went back to the Voodoo 3. I'm gonna have to find ways into fixing these few issues with that card.

Totally understand how you feel 🤣

I've really developed a strong liking for the V3. Such a flexible and universal card. It does a LOT of things really well.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 26 of 36, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use the Detonator 12.90 with the Quadro2 Pro.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 27 of 36, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, i checked a few things and it seems i was wrong on the geforce2Ti...

The Ti was on the shelf and installed in the p5a was a gts. Both are asus v7700 cards.
The gts works fine and is in there for months. However, the gf2ti DOES lock up in this system. The card is 100% but it doesn't play nice with the p5a... maybe the gf2ti draws just a little more current and the agp slot can't provide it? Geforce2mx also works fine.

Maybe seting the clocks of the Ti to Gts values solves the problem? Didn't try that but could be easily done with rivatuner and should lower the power consumption.

Now, for the Voodoo3: Tested on my p3b-f with p3 700mhz and Voodoo3 3500TV NFS SE runs perfectly fine. BUT..... it is a downloaded (and no-cd) version. So i checked my original cd and it gives errors right after the directx2 installation and even the dos installer won't work on this system (tried downclocking to 466mhz but didn't help). Still have to check on the tualatin v5 system but i am pretty sure the original install of the game is on that one and works fine.

It does prove that the game can run on v3 but it could be there is a compatibility problem with the original version of the game. I run amigamerlin 2.9 on my v3 system.

If i have the time, i will install a v3 3000 in my p5a and try the original nfs se.

Reply 28 of 36, by DoomGuy II

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did some research online about the debates between the 3DFX Voodoo 3 and a Diamond Viper V770, which I do have.

img_20150117_072205_926_by_doomguy2nd-d8e8euc.jpg

I do know for a fact that the V770 has never failed me for the past time that I had it, at least with the drivers that I've been using. I've read somewhere that the V770 does a bit more than the Voodoo 3, provided that the system is beefed up enough, plus it's more capable of AGP textures than the V3. But, other people are saying that the V3 will still perform better no matter what system you have obviously. So, these two cards seem to go neck and neck. The problem is that it's DirectX 6 capable at best whereas the V3 is DX7 capable. Are there any drivers that I can use to at least achieve DX7 or am I stuck with DX6? Because I have also read that it works with beta drivers? But then again the posts I've read so far were from around the 2000s.

Reply 30 of 36, by DoomGuy II

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, here's my diagnosis.

When I first installed it, it passed POST and booted into Windows just fine. After installing drivers, Windows froze on startup. So afterwards, I installed the AGP driver Version 1.9 and it booted up normally just fine. And finally, I ran the 3DMarks 99 benchmark and it managed to pass every test. The scores are as follows:

3dmarksv770vsv3_by_doomguy2nd-d8e8ivl.bmp

So, I can safely say that my V770 comes close to my Voodoo 3 in my configuration. Can't say that I've played all of my Windows games to know that it's 100% stable, but if it passed the 3DMarks test then it should be good enough for me.

Reply 31 of 36, by DoomGuy II

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, that went down pretty fast. Computer crashed after about 15 minutes of gameplay. So, I may have to go back to the Voodoo once again.

Reply 33 of 36, by DoomGuy II

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, so after at least two tries with installing two 4X cards into my ASUS P5A, both of which are Nvidia based cards, I've officially given up on exchanging video cards and I'll be just sticking with my Voodoo 3. I do have a Voodoo 2 (Righteous 3D II 12MB), but I do not have a second one to have the ability to do SLI nor do I even have the cable to do so. So, maybe later down the road, I'll try those.

In the meantime, my main focus is to patch the Windows version of Need for Speed SE so that it runs properly and find a way to fix the fuzzy effect (which is minor but still annoying) in Terminal Velocity.

Reply 34 of 36, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When you can stick to 800x600 games run fine on one v2.

For a 2d/3d card the voodoo3 is the best match for ss7 boards. Ali V boards have problems with tnt and tnt2 based cards but are much better with geforce2 and mx. Unfortunately not your Ti (or mine...)

Performance with tnt2 and 3dmark is high because of the 3dnow! support. A lot of games don't have that and performance will be poor. 3dfx had great 3dnow! support in drivers and the v3 will be much faster. On a p3 it can be different but a k6-2 isn't a fast cpu.

Did you try and downclock the Ti to Gts speeds? Maybe that solves the problem.

I would prefer the v3 in that system, amigamerlin is my favorite driver for these cards.

Don't go over 128mb ram on that sytem, it will be slow....

Reply 35 of 36, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With my P5A, I have had trouble with GF2 GTS and Ti, Matrox G200 and G400, along with Radeon 7500. Voodoo is the way to go. Voodoo5 would likely be ok too.

The benefit of 3DNow in drivers is fairly overstated. The drivers for these cards just don't process that much. The game itself needs 3Dnow optimization for true improvement because it does most of the work (lighting, transformation, animation, audio, etc). Developers avoided the apparently not-so-great Microsoft D3D6 SIMD optimized lighting engine too. There is really only one example of thorough 3DNow optimization and it is the Quake 2 3Dnow patch that reworks some engine code along with including a Voodoo2 3DNow ICD.

On the other hand, Glide is simply the most efficient API of the time and demands less of the CPU so it's the logical choice for a slow CPU. Or with any CPU from that time, frankly. I saw performance benefits with Glide last fall while playing Wheel of Time (Unreal engine) on an Athlon 1000 and Voodoo5. It quite obviously brings up the low end of the frame rate in complex scenes. I tried D3D and also zeckensack's Glide wrapper, on various GPUs, but nothing was as smooth as real Glide on a V5. An Athlon XP 2000+ made up the difference though.