VOGONS

Not enough Disk Space for drivers

Topic actions

First post, by Shadic95

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I want to install my Sound Blaster Live! using the Liveware 3.0 disk, but I get 2 errors.

The 1st one stating that the uninstaller can't initialize and i will not be able to uninstall it.

The 2nd being that there is not enough disk space, which is horse radish, because I have a 60gb hard drive in there.

OS is windows 98. Computer model is Dell Dimension 4400.

Can you please help me?

Reply 1 of 26, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The last time I ran into this problem, the answer was simply that there was a problem with the installer.

Where did you get the Liveware 3.0 disk? If you have an ISO image, you should either burn it to a CD, or mount it on a virtual drive using an old version of Daemon Tools. Then just use the setup program in the root directory of the image and follow the prompts – don't try to run anything else on its own, or copy anything off the disk to use separately.

Also, what model of SB Live! are you using? I think some OEM Dell cards will only work with particular drivers from Dell. (There should be a number like CT4xxx or SB0xxx written on the edge of the card.)

Reply 3 of 26, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask hardware and driver issues in the Marvin forum. This one is for Windows games.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 26, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's not a "straight up" SB Live, it's a Live Value, and it's a Dell OEM at that. Go to the Dell website and look for drivers - should be available as a downloadable package. If the card is original to that Dell system, just dump in the service tag and it'll direct you to appropriate things. You can also download LiveWare from Creative's website, but it may be incompatible with your card (I honestly can't remember if my Dell OEM Live! is compatible with the same driver package as my original Live!).

Random "iso image from some site that I can't remember" downloads should generally be avoided as well - who knows what they actually contain, if they're up to date, if they're complete, etc.

Reply 5 of 26, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding "not enough disk space": I suppose the big hd is exactly the problem, the calculation in the installer wraps around so the installer "thinks" it doesn't have enough space.
In a newer version of Windows I'd use an Application Compatibility Fix for this, don't know what is the best option for 98. One way would be to make sure at least the C: partition is not too big, but since the OS is already installed you could just create a huge file with some tool and try the installation again. (Even if the driver is the wrong one, you might still need a workaround with the correct driver.)

Reply 8 of 26, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shadic95 wrote:

Not using driver cd due to the fact i get crackling and popping

I'm not sure what makes you think the Liveware drivers will fix the problem. Sounds to me like a hardware limitation.

If you're dead set against using the driver CD, and you're running Windows 98 SE, I would suggest trying the KX Project drivers.

Reply 10 of 26, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most of the links are broken but you can search for the filenames
Creative Sound Blaster Live! CT4760 (X-Gamer), quick test

Although when messing around with drivers I would recommend a fresh install of Windows each time. You should be able to find a torrent of a Win98 iso and as long as you use your original key I don't see a problem with this

Reply 11 of 26, by Shadic95

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

Most of the links are broken but you can search for the filenames
Creative Sound Blaster Live! CT4760 (X-Gamer), quick test

Although when messing around with drivers I would recommend a fresh install of Windows each time. You should be able to find a torrent of a Win98 iso and as long as you use your original key I don't see a problem with this

No silly, a version of kx audio driver that works with windows 98 se. 😜

Reply 12 of 26, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suspect they're somewhere on the MSFN boards, but they seem to be down at the moment.

EDIT: Maybe not. But http://download.kxproject.lugosoft.com/ has a bunch of old versions. It's not clear when Windows 98SE support was dropped, though.

Reply 13 of 26, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shadic95 wrote:

Not using driver cd due to the fact i get crackling and popping

Flipping through mdgx.com reveals that there may be a simple fix to this.
http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/read … v010_readme.htm

Reply 14 of 26, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It looks like a typical Live! board. If the Liveware install recognizes it then you should be good to go.

Cracking and static with Live! is often caused by the motherboard. Usually it's a poorly programmed BIOS messing up PCI settings that causes latency problems and screws with sound cards. Though some PCI and AGP video cards can cause problems with PCI sound cards too.

George's PCI Latency Patch does often help with VIA chipsets.

Reply 15 of 26, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the necro-thread revival but exactly the same issue here. Running a genuine Live! card under W2K. Simpy cannot get Liveware 3.0 to install, with exactly the same errors as the thread starter ...

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 16 of 26, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My money is on the installer programs not being written correctly. When the programmers wrote the install routine they chose an integer that wasn't large enough or the correct signedness (or both).

They never expected hard drives to be over a certain size (or anyone to use the software on a drive over a certain size). What happens is the software likely calls a windows API to report the amount of free hard drive space. The integer they use to store that value isn't large enough so it 'rolls over' to the beginning of what the integer can store as a number and counts up again. If this ends up in the negative portion of the integer you get the error you report.

Couple of solutions ( in order of effectiveness):
1) find an updated driver software that has the corrected code
2) partition or shrink the drive so it reports smaller as a whole and subsequently less free space.
3) fill the drive with data until there is less free space

Reply 17 of 26, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was thinking the same thing. Even more so; as I screwed up the Windows tonight by trying all sorts of things to get the soundblaster software to work, I'm going to format the drive and start all over. This time on a tiny partition because I couldn't find any W2K partitioning software and the ones that do exist, fail miserably in errors.

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 18 of 26, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gbeirn wrote:

3) fill the drive with data until there is less free space

There's a program called Philip which will temporarily fill up a too-bit hard drive.

http://inky.50megs.com/programdocs/usingphilip.htm
http://inky.50megs.com/myprograms.html#philip
http://inky.50megs.com/programdocs/Philip.zip

Philip was one of the utilities recommended by "Inferno" who used to have a website with instructions
for getting Windows 95/98 games to run on XP, now archived at archive.org.

I don't know what happened to Inferno, but I used to use Inferno's website a lot.

Reply 19 of 26, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gbeirn wrote:

My money is on the installer programs not being written correctly. When the programmers wrote the install routine they chose an integer that wasn't large enough or the correct signedness (or both).

While that is a thing that can happen, I already tried all the tricks in the other thread I linked to. I very strongly believe that the installer is producing the wrong error message.

Running a genuine Live! card under W2K.

What model number are you using, specifically?